Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, I thought all along the blue panels that were there before fit much, much better than the beige. The beige just disappears right into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup-the idea of staging is to give potential buyers an idea of what it'd look like with furniture in a wishy washy way. Let's them imagine how they could tweak it.
ya done good!
^^^^^^^ This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
The purpose of staging is NOT to create a wishy washy, fade into the wall space. It's to give the room some punch and an indication of what it could look like. To highlight the best aspects of the room and to bring out it's potential.

The beige panels disappear into the walls. The blue would give it the pop it needs.

A blue wall for staging...no. Blue drapery panels that creates some pop and also coordinates with the rest of the furnishings...yes.

Try it op - I guarantee the blue panels will give it the punch it needs.

Last edited by Beretta; 02-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: rudeness

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
The purpose of staging is NOT to create a wishy washy, fade into the wall space. It's to give the room some punch and an indication of what it could look like. To highlight the best aspects of the room and to bring out it's potential.

The beige panels disappear into the walls. The blue would give it the pop it needs.

A blue wall for staging...no. Blue drapery panels that creates some pop and also coordinates with the rest of the furnishings...yes.

Try it op - I guarantee the blue panels will give it the punch it needs.

I agree!

I am a certified Home Stager with HSR and a provide interior decorating services to the clients of my husbands building company. Ironically, my passion is marketing and I feel that is what staging really is: marketing a home to look its best in order to receive the best potential offer.

I have staged countless vacant and owner-occupied homes in my area and have also created model homes for smaller volume builders.

Too many people get confused with staging and try to create an environment that is too neutral. Buyers want to be excited! They want to emmotionally connect with a house - and lets face it - with all the homes on the market to look at, you want a buyer to feel that emmotional connection within a few seconds of walking in the door.

Beige walls are fine, but make sure you fill the room with pops of color.

Last edited by Beretta; 02-01-2011 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: quoted post was edited

Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I agree!

I am a certified Home Stager with HSR and a provide interior decorating services to the clients of my husbands building company. Ironically, my passion is marketing and I feel that is what staging really is: marketing a home to look its best in order to receive the best potential offer.

I have staged countless vacant and owner-occupied homes in my area and have also created model homes for smaller volume builders.

Too many people get confused with staging and try to create an environment that is too neutral. Buyers want to be excited! They want to emmotionally connect with a house - and lets face it - with all the homes on the market to look at, you want a buyer to feel that emmotional connection within a few seconds of walking in the door.

Beige walls are fine, but make sure you fill the room with pops of color.
That is exactly what the goal should be. Actually, I've never heard the purpose of staging a house for resale is to make it look wishy washy.

Quite the contrary actually.

Last edited by sanrene; 02-01-2011 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
That is exactly what is the goal should be. Actually, I've never heard the purpose of staging a house for resale is to make it look wishy washy.

Quite the contrary actually.
Very bad for re-sale. I have countless personal statistics, along with statistics from HSR which is where I received my staging certification.

Sellers have a very small opportunity to capture the interest of a buyer.

My advice is always use pops of color in the latest trends in your area.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
I'm not an expert but I did stage my home to sell and it was successful based on both how quickly it sold and the feedback we received from interested parties. I also looked at more houses than I can even count to find my new house and made a lot of observations that I applied to my own home. Staging has almost become too generic and by saying to "make everything beige" we paint with too broad a brush. Also common sense needs to come into play. No matter what color you paint, there are other issues that need to addressed. Here are my top observations:

1. Buyers/Sellers/Agents are more savvy than in the past. They will look beyond to a point but price point has to play into staging as well as the overall condition of the house. A fixer upper is a fixer upper and anyone interested in a project house is looking with a different eye than the person who is looking for their dream house. Stage accordingly.

2. Beiging a house out for sale is fine for the nondescript wishy wash track house but not for a custom or period home. Playing up the assets of the house is the way to go. Fabulous windows- let them shine, Amazing woodwork- colors that show it off are the way to go. Just as black isn't the only color that is slenderizing, beige isn't the only neutral and it isn't always the best choice.

3. Scale and number of furnishings. Furniture should fit, there should be breathing room and the rooms need to be easy to walk through. Oversized furniture in a small room is just as bad as too small furniture in a large room.

4. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN FINISH FINISH FINISH No one is comfortable in a dirty, cluttered house or with undone projects. It says "this homeowner doesn't care- if I can see this, what is hiding?"

5. Sell the lifestyle- within reason. Buying a home on Cape Cod was interesting. Some homes felt like I was in a Disney theme home. Yet others, the beachy feel was done very tastefully.

6. Make your house appeal to the most sellers. If that means your Victorian with period furnishings needs to be "defrilled", do it, stark modern needs warming up, go for it. With today's decorating styles there is room to mix styles and a home buyer that is looking for location and price may be willing to purchase a home that is not their ideal architectural style if they feel they can live in the space.

7. Ask your agent to give you feedback from interested parties. Little things make a difference. The first person who looked at our house was wondering if there would be more room in the master bedroom if the bed was on the other wall. We knew he was coming back to the Open House so we moved it to that wall. He was happy to see that it did in fact open the room up more and we had a new room configuration that showcased the fireplace and size of the room.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM

20 posts, read 30,523 times
I got my design degree from Endicott College, a FIDER accredited school and have only staged two houses (as favors for family friends) but focus on designing model homes. A model home is how you want your home to be when selling it. ....Everyone says neutral is the way to go, and I agree to an extent, but calm, warm, and soothing color is fine if you know what colors. ...I have used warm grays and blue-grays in Master Bedrooms and Family Rooms and it looks GREAT! A nice spa-like muted green looks great in bathrooms with dark choc cabinets. You did a good job thinking neutral, but ended up with not enough contrast. If you felt like there was something missing or you just were not sure about the space (that you have lived in day after day) how would a prospective buyer feel? I think it is great that you know the importance of staging. ....pass the word along to other sellers, it really makes the difference in this buyer's market.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
For staging, keep the room neutral.
Some potential buyers are afraid of color, I've run across it countless times.....
Your right, but why is that though????

I guess they never heard of paint.....

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Your right, but why is that though????

I guess they never heard of paint.....
I think it is actually a fear of making a mistake.
Perhaps not being able visualize the finished result?
I've even done watercolor renderings for clients, to show them exactly what the room would look like with some color, and they just couldnt go there....
One of my professors, who taught color theory, always said that some people are just "beige", personality and all.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I think it is actually a fear of making a mistake.
Perhaps not being able visualize the finished result?
I've even done watercolor renderings for clients, to show them exactly what the room would look like with some color, and they just couldnt go there....
One of my professors, who taught color theory, always said that some people are just "beige", personality and all.

OMG that is truly funny !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating