Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
My thoughts/suggestions would be just that. If your space allows, you could ceratinly make seating for more than 4. Islands are also a great way to obtain additional cabinet space and I love the microwave drawers and refrigerator drawers that can be placed in them. Great for kids!
As folks age their range of motion and strengtht decrease. Having the fridge drawers and microwave that does not require stretching over the cooktop allows them to be more confidant in their kitchens. The dowsed of those options is that they are currently priced as "luxury items". I suspect over time that will change.

The "drawer appliances" also do an excellent job of maximizing "clear work space" and that is huge help as folks age -- less clutter makes it easier to avoid spills and keep the kitchen tidy. Grooves, seams and joints that go along with multi-level islands can be nearly impossible keep clean. I know many people my age with eldery parents that the decision to seek alternative living arrangements was driven by the obvious inability to keep up with basic cleaning...

As the population ages and more people desire to stay in their own home longer it is wise to consider how one's kitchen will serve an older cook down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 18,123 times
What stage is the house in?

If you haven't started the foundation yet, you may want to redesign the kitchen. Do it now so you won't regret it later.

What is your kitchen triangle like? Where is the breakfast nook in correlation to the kitchen? What are your needs? What appliances do you want in the kitchen? Any "luxury" items like built in micro or the drawer? Point of use refrigeration or a beverage center? Seperate refrigeration units (freezer and fridge) or one single unit? Warming drawer or no?

The kitchen island that replaces a breakfast area should be quite large in size with seating away from the working triangle. Preferrably, seating should be outside the kitchen prep zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating