Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,654 posts, read 7,328,524 times
Reputation: 949

Advertisements

I am a huge Baker fan, but that comes at a premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
 
3,763 posts, read 12,493,455 times
Reputation: 6852
I am insanely in love with Baker. My husband and I used to shop the Macy's clearance outlet near us in Michigan, and occasionally they would get very high end pieces in. Long story short - we got a Barbara Barry (for Baker) king size bed for $200.00. Not a mark or scratch on it.

We bought it because we loved the design/style - not because of the label. But then we saw the label and were a little giddy. Esp. because the MSRP on the bed (looked it up online) was $8800.

Always wanted to go to the Kohler outlet in Wisconsin, because that was where the Baker outlet was ... but I've heard rumors that Kohler no longer owns Baker.

Oh well -- either way - I got a great deal on a really awesome bed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
 
29,981 posts, read 42,781,577 times
Reputation: 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Need to buy furniture, and I would like to know who makes quality furniture. I am trying to balance quality with cost. I am looking for a dining room table and chairs for now, and then sofa sets, bedroom furniture, etc. I live in central NJ, if that makes a difference... I also like simple, clean lines for the most part...........Thanks!
You could try Amish made furniture. As long as one is willing to go with solid wood they make a variety of styles.

Dining Room Furniture NJ | Dining Room Furniture New Jersey ? J&L Crafts & Lawn Furniture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,952 posts, read 22,605,221 times
Reputation: 7295
Henredon and Bernhardt are great brands that have held up very well in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
 
557 posts, read 1,707,859 times
Reputation: 363
Very useful info !! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
I really like Pier 1 Imports. Have you used their stuff for a while and determined that it lasts? Or is it just by looking at it and inspecting it? I would be curious to get your perspective first hand if you had experience with their furniture.

Ikea... It looks excellent in their catalog, not so good once I get to the store... Just my two cents.

Thank you!
Pier 1 is major crapola......some of the stuff is actually made from paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
Reputation: 16398
Our Pier 1 couch started looking like total crud six months after we bought it. The fabric faded big time, and the cushions showed wear quickly as soon as people started regularly sitting on the sofa. Never ever would I waste my money again on upholstered furniture from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
 
5,697 posts, read 19,076,610 times
Reputation: 8694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Pier 1 is major crapola......some of the stuff is actually made from paper.
I agree. I got my kitchen table from Pier One and it is adorable however the finish on the table top is not the greatest. I am anticipating that by next year I may have to lightly sand and re poly. Many scratches are starting to appear even though I use place mats. I'm not sweating it though as I got a floor sample very cheap. Although I think Pier One has nice style, longevity is questionable. I did tinker with the idea of purchasing some dressers from there but they seem like garbage for the money. I could barely open the drawers without pulling the whole thing over on myself.

IKEA is good for some things. I did my guest bedroom in IKEA. It serves its purpose and a room that doesn't get used much. Bought one of those white slipcovered sofa's for the basement and surprisingly it has held up very well over the past two years. I have had good luck with buying major pieces at Macy's. I bought a sofa and chair from them almost 5 years ago and it still looks new.They actually still sell my set. I like to redecorate so if I get 7 years out of a piece then I am happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,470 posts, read 16,325,544 times
Reputation: 6518
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I agree. I got my kitchen table from Pier One and it is adorable however the finish on the table top is not the greatest. I am anticipating that by next year I may have to lightly sand and re poly. Many scratches are starting to appear even though I use place mats. I'm not sweating it though as I got a floor sample very cheap. Although I think Pier One has nice style, longevity is questionable. I did tinker with the idea of purchasing some dressers from there but they seem like garbage for the money. I could barely open the drawers without pulling the whole thing over on myself.

IKEA is good for some things. I did my guest bedroom in IKEA. It serves its purpose and a room that doesn't get used much. Bought one of those white slipcovered sofa's for the basement and surprisingly it has held up very well over the past two years. I have had good luck with buying major pieces at Macy's. I bought a sofa and chair from them almost 5 years ago and it still looks new.They actually still sell my set. I like to redecorate so if I get 7 years out of a piece then I am happy.
In Pier 1's defense, I got a glass and rattan dining set for the patio 2nd hand (100 bucks LOL) and it's held up pretty well. I agree that pottery barn sells poo, though. I only buy sale items from them, and the quality has always been so-so or sub par. I guess they're selling the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
In Pier 1's defense, I got a glass and rattan dining set for the patio 2nd hand (100 bucks LOL) and it's held up pretty well. I agree that pottery barn sells poo, though. I only buy sale items from them, and the quality has always been so-so or sub par. I guess they're selling the name.
I was speaking of the stuff that passes for wood, and painted finishes, not rattan and glass.
Thats like comparing apples and watermelons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top