Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

When you walk in our front door, the kitchen is directly ahead of you. To the right is the dining room and the living room beyond that. There are no walls to seperate any of the rooms - it's all a huge open L shape.

The dining room has a squared off bay window that pushed back out to the front of the house. I"m having someone come build a window seat with storage there. The living room has a window in the front and an entrance on the wall (short wall) next to that to go upstairs or to the den.

It doesn't matter what I do, I can't make the room look right. I guess area rugs would help, but I'm not sure what size I should get, what color, where they should be placed, etc.

Can anyone help? If it helps, we've got a small four person rectangle shaped dining table with four little fold up chairs for the time being. The living room is a couch and over size chair. I've got a shoe bench but it can be removed. The entry way has a small writing desk and chair.

I can get dimensions and photos if that helps too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Pictures would help greatly. I hear your frustration. I have a friend with a very large and long rectangular shaped loft apartment (with open kitchen to the right as you enter the apt.) and bedrooms and bathrooms radiating off of the long rectangular area. She has used wall paint colors, furniture and art groupings and large rugs (or left the hardware showing) to define different living areas. She also subtly used paint to define areas, using the same paint color in slightly different shades as you graduate from living area to the next area (remember you are walking down one very long rectangle). One living area has subtle 10 inch stripes on the walls using two shades of the same paint.

You will get lots of ideas here, but you need to post good pictures

Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Yes, pix are needed here, room measurements would be helpful, too.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You might want to divide it to create different spaces, with carpets or rugs to define each area. Dark colors for the ends of the room, shortens the visual space.
The furnitures you can arrange diagonally (seatings, tables etc.)

Examples of room dividers:
http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2010/08/...room-dividers/

Last edited by elnina; 02-20-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM

I love that last one! I just worry that something that heavy will chop the rooms up and make them look so small and claustrophobic. It's got such stupid low ceilings that I don't want to lose the open floor plan and make it look small. Gha! I just hate this stupid house!

I'll get some measurements and post some photos tomorrow..............unless I can find some tonight that I've taken in the past. Lemme see. I *might* have some.........

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM

I can't find pictures but this is the general floor plan. I'll go do measurements at least and get some pics tonight or in the morning.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hm.... you don't even have much of a wall space...
so, maybe no dividers, or if any then rather low. Maybe just placing furnitures diagonally will help?
For low ceiling there is a "visual" help: tall floor lamps, long window drapes and white ceiling.
10 effective ways to deal with low ceilings

What is that little cornet right to the "books"?
Little strange room, I agree...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I wouldnt do dividers..........arranging the furniture into separate conversation areas with area rugs would help immensely......it would ground the seating areas.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

Ok, pictures are very blurry - cell phone - but this is the room.

The first is taken from the entrance to the kitchen looking into the room. The entrance to the library is directly behind me and the front door would be to my immediate right. Then the dining room (the stair stepper is there now) and the living area at the far end.

The other is taken from the hallway where you can go upstairs to the guest bedrooms or into the den downstairs. The living area is the first thing you see then the dining area (table and chairs in middle of room with stair stepper, bench with weights and work out mats, etc in front of the double windows) and then the entrance beyond that, front door at far end on left and entrance to the library through the door at the end by the writing desk.

I'll get the measurements today. Hubby's having a hard day, so I've been busy taking care of him.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM

As for furniture, I've got a couch and oversize chair in the living room with two end tables. The dining room is a small rectangular table and four chairs, the entry has the writing desk and chair. I'm moving the exercise stuff into the den and putting a window seat with storage under the dining room windows. I'd like to get a couple small benches or something to go along the sides of that wall. There's also a foot bench I can use in there if there's some place it should sit. I'll be putting a bar and floor to ceiling bookcases between the kitchen and dining room as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating