Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times

Advertisements

Hey hey. Any help appreciated. This is the kitchen of our 1915 bungalow. Lots of doors and windows. I just can't seem to come up with a layout that I really like - and maybe it is impossible given the limitations. My biggest problems with the existing layout is how the fridge is crammed against the exterior door (we use that door frequently) and something about the general flow of cooking just isn't great.

We don't have a lot of money right now, so lower cost options are helpful. I can afford the floor and base cabinets right now, but may hold off and save if some sort of more comprehensive approach is necessary. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with kitchen layout-woodmont-floor-plan.png   Help with kitchen layout-img_9762.jpg   Help with kitchen layout-img_9763.jpg   Help with kitchen layout-img_9765.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Now sure how handy you or your husband is, but I would deal with this window configuration;

The large window on the right wall is preventing you from a long run of cabinet/counter. I would create another corner window to the right of where the current window is above the sink, take that long window out and patch up the wall.

That is just dead space right now.

Two windows in that corner would be ideal.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Having a window in the corner and taking out the large window would be awesome. But it also sounds very expensive relative to our total budget. And you are right, that is absolute dead space. Hmm, something to think about though.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Soo ya want your new kitchen designed? Ha...contract is in the mail before I start. All kidding aside, your biggest problem you say is the fridge yet you don't show it in the photos.

There are things you can do but there is not enough information to do so and it really is asking a lot. Besides your multiple mention of extreme budget might just make your dream just that, a dream. Don't buy just the lowers and think some time in the future you can match the uppers. All cabinet manufacturers change door styles and colors every year or 2 just like auto manufacturers. Even if they don't, color fades and the newer ones will not match the older ones.

Do it once and do it right. Just do it without greed. What I mean by that is once you see all the pretty bells and whistles and gadgets available you will want them all. Then you will like the cherry over oak, then the fancy crown with an insert.........and more and more. Get basic oak with no frills and buying new cabinets is not expensive at all. Buying cabinets correctly is more important then what you choose. If you go to the big orange who only wants your little green they will rape you till your last breath. Those big box stores charge full list price. Nearly all small cabinet dealers discount heavy from list.

Good luck

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
I would like to see an overall photo of the room-can you maybe photoshop one? What about flipping the sink area for that seating area? Is that feasible? You could even just put a small table in that corner and not have to worry about fixing the window. It won't really matter too much if the table is covering part of the window since you can move it as needed to use the window. Also, down the road that will allow you to incorporate that porch into your kitchen if you so desire.

I would also consider getting a smooth top stove in there to expand your "counter space".

I like the blue you have in there.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM

I'll try to get some better pics up tonight. Here is the kitchen layout. Sorry I didn't post this the first time around. The scale isn't perfect, but it is about right.

Golf gal - your idea of moving the sink to the interior wall and setting up a table in the corner is interesting. I like looking out the window at the sink, but I think I would like a table in there more...

Desertsun41 - point taken, seriously. Right now we have about $2500 and that probably just isn't enough money I'm sure even without buying appliances or anything.

I'm trolling craigslist for sets of used cabinets, but mostly I'm just finding junk. The cabinets in the kitchen are probably from the early 70s. The drawers don't have any rolling hardware (they "fall" if you pull them more than halfway out) and the general feel of the cabinets is really subpar. The sink cabinet is newer. It is laminated MDF and it is starting to de-laminate and the MDF is failing around at least one of the hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with kitchen layout-kitchen-layout.jpg  

Last edited by progmac; 02-23-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Do you have any remodeling skills, possibly a family member that could help you out?

At least half the cost of the remodel would be in labor costs.

Ripping down the room yourselves is doable.

Perhaps you can negotiate with that in mind.

Creating a new window and patching the old is really not all that difficult.

Price it out, you may be surprised and it shouldn't take more than a day.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,235,903 times
I'm guessing you'll need around 11 cabinets or so? Just kinda guessing from the pictures. If it was me I would wait until you had more than 2500. That might be fine for basic cabinets, but you have to think of counter tops, appliances, etc. Plus, with such a old house, who knows what electrical/plumbing problems you may come across. I wouldn't mess with that window, that's a lot of work, or a lot of money, depending if you do it yourself or pay someone to do it. Plus, it brings in a lot of light.

My thought for your refer would be to maybe move it over, and put to refer panels on each side, maybe center it on that wall. If your really wanting that sitting area though, that wouldn't work. Just kind of some quick thoughts, hope that helps.

P.S. Desertsun, haven't see you that often, you still selling Merilat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating