Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

There shouldn't be any disdain shown towards "decorators" - there are many incredibly talented, very artistic people who decorate beautifully and haven't a stitch of formal training. I have a friend like this and her friends have begged her for help in putting rooms together....until she decided that she didn't want to be so busy and stopped helping her friends and their friends and relatives with their decor, she was booked solidly for appointments (her rates were very reasonable). Her work is beautiful, functional and personal. To disparage someone with that kind of natural talent because they only have a business license is short sighted. Talent and expertise can exist without a certificate or state test.

Decorators fill a need in our society. There are many who can't afford an interior designer and perhaps don't really need an interior designer - they just need help and guidance in putting room decor together in a pleasing way and nothing more.

Interior Designers work hard for their accreditation and they are trained and licensed to do more more complex functions than someone who is only "decorator," but decorators fill a niche that is of value too.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-09-2011 at 06:30 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There shouldn't be any disdain shown towards "decorators" - there are many incredibly talented, very artistic people who decorate beautifully and haven't a stitch of formal training. I have a friend like this and her friends have begged her for help in putting rooms together....until she decided that she didn't want to be so busy and stopped helping her friends and their friends and relatives with their decor, she was booked solidly for appointments (her rates were very reasonable). Her work is beautiful, functional and personal. To disparage someone with that kind of natural talent because they only have a business license is short sighted. Talent and expertise can exist without a certificate or state test.

Decorators fill a need in our society. There are many who can't afford an interior designer and perhaps don't really need an interior designer - they just need help and guidance in putting room decor together in a pleasing way and nothing more.

Interior Designers work hard for their accreditation and they are trained and licensed to do more more complex functions than someone who is only "decorator," but decorators fill a niche that is of value too.
Totally agree.....I have seen ASID certed designers that were dreadful!
On the other hand, I have seen decorators here attempt things that they didnt have a clue about.
Bottom line, research your choice of designer or decorator!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtimes View Post
Did you know you can't be an interior designer in Florida without a state-mandated license? And a court just upheld the law.

Federal Court Upholds Florida's Bizarre Interior Designer Licensing Law - Broward Palm Beach News - The Juice
Just so we're all clear, are you upset that Floridians can't practice without a license, or are you against all professional licensing requirements? Because most states have them.

Are you also upset about other professional licenses? Say, hairdressers, for instance? How about cosmotologists? Or talent agents?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
if one is truly talented there are ways of getting around this law. This man has been practicing for 25 years in PB county and is not a Fla Licenced Interior Designer.

If you got it, you got it !

home

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Did you know you can't be an interior designer in Florida without a state-mandated license? And a court just upheld the law.

Federal Court Upholds Florida's Bizarre Interior Designer Licensing Law - Broward Palm Beach News - The Juice
They should a "designer" goes to school and a decorator doesn't have to. A designer can do so much more than a decorator and that is why they can charge more. I would think a decorator calling them self a designer is very misleading. Think of it this way, you can't call yourself a "realtor" because you just sold your own house.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:

It's always good to keep a politician or two in your pocket, just to make sure you don't have any competition.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This is nothing new......must have been a very slow news day. -shrugs-
Read the bolded portion of the quote........
DBPR Professions - Board of Architecture and Interior Design

Federal District Judge Robert L. Hinkle has entered an order, Opinion on the Merits, in the case of Locke v. Shore in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida. Under this ruling a person must be a registered interior designer to provide commercial interior design services in the State of Florida. However, any person may use the title “interior designer” regardless of whether or not they hold a Florida license. A person may provide residential interior design services and may advertise herself/himself as an “interior designer” without a license. This ruling does not change the statutes in Chapter 481 but does impact how the Board enforces the statutes.
I don't think any one should be able to be called a "interior designer" what isn't. There is a big difference between a "decorator" and a "designer".

Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
wow, what a bunch of crooks.

if this "license" was an indication of quality work, then consumers would recognize that on their own, and they would SEEK OUT licensed professionals, and this would not be an issue.

the fact that designers need the state to "protect" them, tells me that their education isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't think any one should be able to be called a "interior designer" what isn't. There is a big difference between a "decorator" and a "designer".
I know what you mean, I have seen some folks that bill themselves as designers in this area really make some bad decisions....I've had to clean up after them.
People that do that really leave a bad taste in clients mouths, and makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I know what you mean, I have seen some folks that bill themselves as designers in this area really make some bad decisions....I've had to clean up after them.
People that do that really leave a bad taste in clients mouths, and makes the rest of us look bad.
Exactly, because sometimes you may only need a decorator for help with picking colors, furniture placement, etc. but if you are going to be removing walls or moving things in a kitchen then you should get a designer. They both have their place but a designer is going to charge more because they can do things that a decorator can't (or at least shouldn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating