Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

I have re-arranged my living room for the umpteenth time.

It's narrow, has a fireplace opposite a huge window.
Beside the fireplace are built in shelves, and doors to bedrooms.

I've tried placing the couch in front of the fireplace, with a view of it, but preferred the view of the window over the doors along side the fireplace.
So I moved the couch angled to the empty corner beneath the two small, dark frames, facing the window, which i loved, but could not hear the TV as well.

That seems to be the best place for it, instead of right where it is in the pics (in front of the fireplace).

Is the couch just too big for this living room?

I've also tried placing the couch where the purple chair is, kinda perpendicular. but it kinds feels in the way, and we weren't comfy turning our heads to watch tv, while sitting on the couch.

I'm wide open to ideas and would love to hear what some thoughts on how you'd arrange things here.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1099.jpg   How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1100.jpg   How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1102.jpg   How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1105.jpg   How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1108.jpg  

How would you arrange my living room? (pics)-img_1110.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
First, do you want the best layout for the room, or do you want the best layout for watching TV?

It would appear that the f/pl isn't used- Have you considered ploppin' the TV right in front of the f/pl, and arranging the furniture accordingly?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First, do you want the best layout for the room, or do you want the best layout for watching TV?

It would appear that the f/pl isn't used- Have you considered ploppin' the TV right in front of the f/pl, and arranging the furniture accordingly?
hmmmm....no, haven't thought of that. interesting....no the fp is not currently being used.

but again, i prefer the view of the window (opposite the fp) when i'm sitting on the couch and not watching the tv.

i would love to have it function as a tv room, but also as a sitting/ reading room.

so best layout for watching tv, and looking out the window.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you are thinking from a "stage for selling" perspective there is just too much stuff in the room. I would try to pare down to a minimal amount of seating. Highlight fireplace by focusing the sofa or love seat on it. If TV will fit on the short wall that is on the opposite of the doorway from the built-in bookcase that still makes it possible to live in the room while listed.

If you are looking for longer term suggestions on how to make the room more livable I won't pretend to know as much as a real interior designer, but I would suggest budgeting for different furniture and TV... (hope that stuff is not too new, I a sure it is nice but scale / style is not going to be easy to work with in the space you have)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are thinking from a "stage for selling" perspective there is just too much stuff in the room. I would try to pare down to a minimal amount of seating. Highlight fireplace by focusing the sofa or love seat on it. If TV will fit on the short wall that is on the opposite of the doorway from the built-in bookcase that still makes it possible to live in the room while listed.

If you are looking for longer term suggestions on how to make the room more livable I won't pretend to know as much as a real interior designer, but I would suggest budgeting for different furniture and TV... (hope that stuff is not too new, I a sure it is nice but scale / style is not going to be easy to work with in the space you have)
agreed! and no, not too new. comfy for tv watching and reading, but you're right. it is too big for our living room.

what type of furniture do you envision?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are a whole range of styles that work better iin smaller roos / homes BUT some of them are quite costly.

The nice exposed wood of either a Shaker style settle, a Mission sofa, or even some of the Asian influenced collections from companies like T. Moser can be quite pricey. Some firms make things are also kind of nostalgic (like Colonial looking spindle leg love seats) or even very modern "folded plywood" sofa with a look that borrows from the Eames or Heywood-Wakefield furniture style.

Not as much "mass appeal" as the stuff at local Value City furniture store, but given the possibilities of highlighting the built-in bookcase and fireplace I would try and track down something to make the room more of a showcase -- when either guests or potential buyers walk right into the front living room something a little special is nice to have!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I think the sofa should have it's back to the front door and the dining room door. You can buy a sofa table to put behind it. This will create a little "hallway" for the entry door.

The TV can go against the wall to the left of the doorway going into the bedroom or whatever that room is. It's a blank wall and a direct line for viewing from the sofa.

The chair can go in the corner under the bookselves. If you want the chair to have a view to the TV, you can angle the chair near the sofa and the window or slightly under the window. Pull the sofa a little closer to the window wall so the walkway into the livingroom area is in front of the fire place.

You don't want a sofa with its back to the fireplace. You don't want to ignore the fireplace by putting the TV in front of it. Having the sofa back to the entry hall will help create a 'wall' there. It will make more sense because you have different flooring. It will help separate the livingroom area from the hallway.

This will truly be the best arrangement.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are a whole range of styles that work better iin smaller roos / homes BUT some of them are quite costly.

The nice exposed wood of either a Shaker style settle, a Mission sofa, or even some of the Asian influenced collections from companies like T. Moser can be quite pricey. Some firms make things are also kind of nostalgic (like Colonial looking spindle leg love seats) or even very modern "folded plywood" sofa with a look that borrows from the Eames or Heywood-Wakefield furniture style.

Not as much "mass appeal" as the stuff at local Value City furniture store, but given the possibilities of highlighting the built-in bookcase and fireplace I would try and track down something to make the room more of a showcase -- when either guests or potential buyers walk right into the front living room something a little special is nice to have!
chet, that sounds gorgeous! thank you.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think the sofa should have it's back to the front door and the dining room door. You can buy a sofa table to put behind it. This will create a little "hallway" for the entry door.

The TV can go against the wall to the left of the doorway going into the bedroom or whatever that room is. It's a blank wall and a direct line for viewing from the sofa.

The chair can go in the corner under the bookselves. If you want the chair to have a view to the TV, you can angle the chair near the sofa and the window or slightly under the window. Pull the sofa a little closer to the window wall so the walkway into the livingroom area is in front of the fire place.

You don't want a sofa with its back to the fireplace. You don't want to ignore the fireplace by putting the TV in front of it. Having the sofa back to the entry hall will help create a 'wall' there. It will make more sense because you have different flooring. It will help separate the livingroom area from the hallway.

This will truly be the best arrangement.
hopes - love it. really, really love it.

always disliked that there is no real entry hall, so this arrangement would give the room that, and really open up the living room. although it might close off the dining room, i think it'll work nicely. just have to make sure that tv wont be too close/ loud for that bedroom. maybe strategically placed surround sound might do the trick for that.

thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating