Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,408 times

Advertisements

Your decor will have a bearing on what you put up there. I'd look for ONE large item or three fairly large items. The fewer the items, the greater the impact and the less DUSTING required. It would be best if you didn't totally block that air exchange.

I've seen the following used: a child's rocking chair, an old tricycle, an old icebox, an antique doll carriage or bed, stacks of hat boxes (which would be great for storage in an office). If you have a more contemporary look and like the look of colored glass, you could hang witches balls or crystals up there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I have space above all of my cabinets that wraps around the top of all my cabinets. I did not want a bunch of little things up there or fake plants....I found a very long, large antique black and white landscape (etching) in the original rustic dark frame with wavy glass over the print....it fills the space directly above my kitchen window and is a little longer than my double kitchen sink that is below so it balances that one long shelf. I have a squatty modern dark brown smooth urn sitting in front of the picture at one edge - the combination is very cool and interesting looking but muted because both objects are monochromatic.

On the connecting wall above the stove and cupboards I have in one corner a collection of 3 large very rustic (varying sizes) muted sage green and earth colored pots or urns and then a couple of wonderful large shallow rustic woven baskets in the middle of that same long shelf juxtaposed against the wall (centered on my stove that sits below). One of the baskets lays against the wall and has a large muted golden colored gourd sitting in it while the other basket sits on its side.

So I haven't filled the whole space - most of it is empty but there are 3 substantial displays of large unique items that are in proportion to the size of the kitchen and the display area.

I think a large framed picture in your space would look interesting....I would defintely suggest usin large objects and not too many of them.

They do collect dust but the dust is not visable...I do get up there and clean a couple times a year though.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer88 View Post
... any idea what these things are called?

Dust Bunny farms!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
If you're into holiday decorating, you could put holiday doodads up there. Then you'd have to dust only the shelf when the holiday changes.

Or just a photo on either side of the vent. No dusting! well, at least, easier dusting.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times
In Florida, they're called "plant shelves" and I absolutely refuse to put them in ANY house we build.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:53 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
What? You don't believe me-
http://www.zimandeugene.com/comics/2008-12-29_Dust_Bunnies.png (broken link)

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM

57 posts, read 224,655 times
It's an art niche - you can leave it empty -
display art etc.
I have several in my home but not display on all of them all of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you guys put in these spaces???  Walls with shelves at the top under ceiling-img_1849.jpg  

Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
These things are very popular in the Southwest. Realtors call them plant shelves or pot shelves. I have them and I hate them. They look nonsensical naked, but when you put stuff up there it just collects dust. I'm trying to get rid of junk, not celebrate it. Mine are so tall you have to have an extension ladder to reach them. And the geniuses who built my house also put a smoke detector up there. Twice a year I get my brother to bring over his tall ladder and I clean the shelves and change the batteries on all the alarms while he watches sports on TV and drinks my beer.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Could you make a picture of the entire wall?
Is there an outlet? For a light or ... speakers?
I probably would put there some decorative wrought iron art to conceal the air duct but still let the air circulate.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
I have the same thing for my Master bedroom. Not sure what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you guys put in these spaces???  Walls with shelves at the top under ceiling-master.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating