Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I carefully chose a color for our bathroom (I agonize over stuff like this). The bathroom consists of a separate room with the toilet and the stall shower, and the main bathroom. A freakish thing happened when DH painted this shower room. The color looked nothing like the paint sample, but when you held the sample against it, it matched. It looks fine in the main bathroom, which has a window.
My son said, "change to a different light bulb". After several light bulb changes, a "natural light" light bulb, which looks bluish, made the room look right.
As if I didn't hate those stupid new light bulbs enough already (which make me think I'm going blind) how will I get more natural light light bulbs for my bathroom in the future? Fortunately, I'm 63, so maybe I'll be dead before I use up the two light bulbs I have, ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
I loved my yellow bedroom during the day, but at night it looked "freakish" and I hated it. I've been experimenting with lightbulbs and I think I almost have the right one. At least it's a big improvement. I use cfl bulbs and they come in different colors and they vary a lot. When I picked out my color, I didn't take into consideration that the lightbulbs would have such an effect. Now I know! You too!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
You can get cfl bulbs in "daylight" which is that slightly blue white.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Stock on incandescents if you don't like the CFLs. There is a German study that shows CFLs emit vapors containing carcinogens.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I hate the light those crazy looking light bulbs give off, I hate the bluish color, it reminds me of the fluorescent bulbs from years ago. It is an ugly industrial lookm and I don't like it in a home. I hate how it takes a while for it to get to the brightest light, who has patience for that, I don't

I use regular light bulbs, and I don't care if they are bad for the planet or not, just don't care.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You know, I've got nothing against saving energy or saving money, but I really need a lot of light to see well. I hope they improve the new bulbs.
We have all the new kind of bulbs at work. You flip on the light in the bathroom and it doesn't get to full strength until you are all done.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You know, I've got nothing against saving energy or saving money, but I really need a lot of light to see well. I hope they improve the new bulbs.
We have all the new kind of bulbs at work. You flip on the light in the bathroom and it doesn't get to full strength until you are all done.

I know, I have friends that have this, and sometimes you need to look in the mirror fast, and who has time for these stupid lights to warm up, I don't

Besides how much electricity do they really save, by the time you could possibly save anything the electric rates go up.

I think it is all BS

Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I love color but there is one color I just can't stomach and its Mauve. ICK. I painted a living room at one of my houses and my attempt was more in the brown family but I did not take lighting into consideration. After dark the room turned mauve. I was so peeved at myself that I didn't spend more time playing with the colors. I couldn't live with it. Two weeks later I was repainting it all.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
My problem is that the bulbs themselves are ugly. What will we do in our bathroom where the bulbs are decorative?

Quote:
This problem is actually costing us energy because my husband is now leaving the outside lights on all night until we go to bed. His complaint is that the yard doesn't get bright enough to take the dogs outside during the time period you're outside with them to do their business. As a result, his solution is to leave the lights on ALL THE TIME. It annoys me to no end.

We have the same problem in the kitchen. He is leaving the kitchen lights on all evening because it doesn't get bright enough for just walking in to get something. Somehow I suspect my husband isn't the only one in the world doing this.

I fail to see how these "energy savers" are truly going to save energy if people are leaving the lights on because it takes too long for them to get bright enough.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Some CFLs are better than others in regards to "warm-up" time. We have some bulbs in our bathooms, that are at full strength about 1 second after you turn them on. Then we have others (kitchen/family room cans) that take probably 30 seconds or more before you actually get full light.

Of course the "instant-ons" were the lights we used up first and threw the boxes away -- so now we don't which brand they were!!

At some point LEDs will be cheap enough that everything will just switch to that. LEDs are ridiculously efficient, and they lose almost no energy in heat. We just got some of them for under cabinet lighting and its fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating