Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 AM

665 posts, read 1,727,690 times

Advertisements

I just installed concrete countertops and now I'm not really sure how to handle the backsplash.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I am not a big fan of concrete countertops for use / care issues, but I do think that they can lend themselves to a wide range of styles. The first places they were used were heavy on the industrial look, so corrugated recycled metal looks cool, commercial kitchen stainless steel backsplash in quilted pattern is much more expensive. You achieve a similar look with DIY aluminum tiles.

The other kind of look they work well is the modern stuff. Glass subway tile in either running bond or stacked. If you get a mosaic glass tile that is more along the lines of recycled beach glass that also reads very modern.

I have seen wood backslashes used with concrete too, in fact I thing the architect who pioneered concrete countertops, Teng, has used wood backsplashes extensively. Everything from hip looking are super cheap sealed wafer wood panel cut to size to teak like a boat is built of to wood tiles that look alot like a parquet floor.

What ever you do can probably will work with concrete -- depending on how you color it / stain it (intentionally or over time) it can look very cold and other worldly or warm and leather-like. Probably would lookmodd in a tract home when everyone else has a country kitchen or generic honey oak thing going on, but even then if you go all out for the crazed artist against surbia thing it can work.

How'd your edges come out? Even a lot of the professionally done countertops I have seen have a roughness to the edge / front lip that I worry about tearing up the cooks' clothing...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
How did you have your concrete finished? Does it simply look like concrete or did you have it finishe to look like stone?

I'm seriously considering concrete countertops and I've decided that I don't want a backsplash.

Anyway, look at the google images of concrete countertops for inspriration: concrete countertops - Google Search

We can't really offer advice until we know what your kitchen looks like--type of cabinets, flooring, how the concrete is finished, etc.

Can you post a picture?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
Great ideas, Chet! I agree.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 AM

665 posts, read 1,727,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am not a big fan of concrete countertops for use / care issues, but I do think that they can lend themselves to a wide range of styles. The first places they were used were heavy on the industrial look, so corrugated recycled metal looks cool, commercial kitchen stainless steel backsplash in quilted pattern is much more expensive. You achieve a similar look with DIY aluminum tiles.

The other kind of look they work well is the modern stuff. Glass subway tile in either running bond or stacked. If you get a mosaic glass tile that is more along the lines of recycled beach glass that also reads very modern.

I have seen wood backslashes used with concrete too, in fact I thing the architect who pioneered concrete countertops, Teng, has used wood backsplashes extensively. Everything from hip looking are super cheap sealed wafer wood panel cut to size to teak like a boat is built of to wood tiles that look alot like a parquet floor.

What ever you do can probably will work with concrete -- depending on how you color it / stain it (intentionally or over time) it can look very cold and other worldly or warm and leather-like. Probably would lookmodd in a tract home when everyone else has a country kitchen or generic honey oak thing going on, but even then if you go all out for the crazed artist against surbia thing it can work.

How'd your edges come out? Even a lot of the professionally done countertops I have seen have a roughness to the edge / front lip that I worry about tearing up the cooks' clothing...
Some good thoughts here. the parquet floor comment gave me and idea to cut 4x4s cross-sectioned about 3/8 thick and installing like tile. I am still thinking though.

the kitchen has a lot of different textures already with a spanish tile floor and recessed beadboard panelled and hand painted/glazed cabinets. The walls are heavily stuccoed.

The edges ? I used melamine board for my forms and corn oil as a release agent so the corners were very sharp. After FULLY cured I used a random orbit sander with a siloicon carbide sand paper and broke the edge about 3/16 radius.
The finish for now is clear and the surface is super smooth because I used melamine board and corn oil.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM

37 posts, read 86,897 times
You can try something Susan Jablon Mosaics (kitchen backsplash pictures) or one of the other big name places online. Definitely think that you should do some nice cabinetry too! Describe the countertop and the situation a little more. If you go with stacked subway tile expect a sleek clean streamline look or even adding in some stainless steel can modernize and sophisticate your space. If you go with a rough edged recycled tile or something that gives off a clean vintage appeal you can expect a nice country look. You can even mess around with rounded penny tiles or hexagon shapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating