Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,078,990 times

Advertisements

Rebel, what product do you use to lay the tile on? We had planned on using cement board (durock) but I see on the home shows that theres another type of underlayment.. it's a vinyl roll. I forgot the name of it. Did you ever use that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
You have to use cement board unless you are laying tile over concrete. A vinyl roll wouldn't provide a solid service for your tile if you're not putting on concrete.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM

38 posts, read 154,864 times
Lauriedeee, Hopes is right you need to have a solid subfloor before laying tile, typically plywood then durock. You can get anyway with having a solid subfloor then just laying the vinyl vapor barrier over it and tiling but I personally don't do it.

I've heard of people using Ditra for SOLID surfaces but again I have never, the cost vs reward aren't worth it to me.

Check out this forum discussion on why to use durock...cement board before tile? (basement floor) - Basements Forum - GardenWeb

Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Ditra.. yes, thats what it was called. We had considered using that but nobody around here sold it anyway, so we bought the concrete board. It's probably for the best anyway as I don't think I'd trust the Ditra even over the plywood subfloor.

This tile job is turning out to be one major pain in the butt. Since we ripped up the hardwoods we found wet floor and it wicked up the wall partway over by the sliding doors. Theres an area around the sliding door that is just rotted away to mush. Whoever originally installed the decking to the house put the beam so close to the house that the rainwater just drains to the house instead of away from it... so now we've got to rip up a portion of the deck.

This was supposed to be so easy...

oh Rebel.. I love that Garden Web site. thanks.. so much info there on everything.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Oh, my! It's not easy. But be glad you discovered the rotting subfloor before it caved!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Yes, an easy fix to your deck issue is flashing. Get thin aluminum sheeting that you can bend and is paintable then bend it over the header board attached to the house so the water flows away from the house not towards it...ok I don't know if that makes sense.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM

You explained the flashing well enough.. lol.. I know what that is. My husband was also talking about putting in a vapor barrier now that the wall is open.. I don't know if he knows what he's doing though.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,443,922 times
I have 18" tile in my family room, kitchen, hall bathroom and laundry room and it doesn't look to big at all. I had the same thoughts that it may be to big but I wanted it all to continue instead of looking choppy. You may want to buy a few tiles and put them in the bathroom to see how you like it.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Vapor Barrier...just use 5 to 8mm plastic and staple it to the studs then drywall over it. I vapor barrier every exposed wall, even interior. It's cheap and helps maintain drywall straightness.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks Donna.. Since you've got the same tiles running straight into the bathroom, does the sound from the bathroom carry into the family room? Before we had one of those marble under the door things that separated the bathroom tile from the wood floor and it seemed to block out some of the sound.

I have men in this house and the last thing I want to hear is them in the bathroom. They're noisy creatures.

Currently, we're now ripping up decking boards outside in an attempt to stop the water from coming in.. ugh.. You were right Rebel, the water is coming in from that board that holds the decking to the house in place. i thought it was coming in from the top decking because that's level with the family room floor. The shingles are all cracked down there under the deck from where the installers screwed into the shingles, and theres about a 2 inch hole of rotted wood leading into the house. I'm surprised I didnt' get mice or other critters.
Some of the joist hangers are rotting too, so we've got to replace them.

Should we put vapor barrier on the outside under the shingles after we fix the problems, and the inside too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating