Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times

Advertisements

Contact a realtor and a carpet cleaning company. Find out what carpets homebuyers like and which carpets are easiest to clean and last the longest.

I have oatmeal colored berber in my house. It came with the house when I bought it 9 years ago. It needs to be replaced but I'm leaning toward grey hues. I can't stand earthtones either! Earthtones remind me of apartment living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,687,968 times
eggalegga- I think you added another insult! Now that you mention it, earthtones DO remind me of apartment living. I brought some samples home, and cannot live with the beige and tan samples.I will have to live with these colors for 2 years. I think I could be somewhat happier in the cream/off white family. Just don't want it to be too light to scare parents away.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM

193 posts, read 1,025,405 times
Did you look at the frize carpet when you got samples? This looks so nice when installed and hides seams very well. Trust me when I say, even if you got a beige with different colors of fleck in the fibres, you would be very happy. I have green carpet in my house upstairs (a nice green), and I loved it for the first couple of years. Now I hate it because it is hard to match furniture when I buy new things. I will be going back to the nice frize like in my basement. If you get a carpet rake (very inexpensive), you can make your carpet look brand new even after years of traffic.

Just trying to help. Good luck in your carpet search!!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM

ipdsag- I did get the frize samples too. And I do like it. There is a creamy white one with little flecks in it, that I may choose. I LOVE green, but like you, there is a problem matching furniture. I really like dark green, but my house is way to dark to have anything but light colors.

Plus in a couple of years, it should still look good to the average home buyer.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,858,441 times
When I had kids I carpeted a house with a carpet that would not show dirt.. it was called 'pecan' color. The interior decorator was so offended that she quit but it did just as I intended and did not show dirt.

Now that the kids are gone we have gone to lighter colors and have found that the light neutral (even off white) is easiest to decorate around and is definitely most desired in a resale situation. Wall color is relatively easy to change but carpet less so.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 AM

I finally bought my carpet. I got a creamy off white(closer to cream). It is a short frise with little flecks of black and tan. I think it will look good, and match just about everything. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 AM

193 posts, read 1,025,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I finally bought my carpet. I got a creamy off white(closer to cream). It is a short frise with little flecks of black and tan. I think it will look good, and match just about everything. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
congrats!! You will love it. It stays looking new for a long time!! Hope you have a installer!!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,213,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Thanks for everyone's great feedback. I do need to recarpet soon, rather than waiting another 2 years. The carpet is terrible, and destroys the look of an otherwise nice house.There are 5, yep 5 different kinds of carpet in the house. When I bought it in January, that was on the list to change first.So, I have been living with this for 8 months.

The new carpet will see very light wear as it is just me. I only go upstairs once a week or so. I am going to look at carpets styles this week. I might be happy with a cream with maybe a few flecks of color as someone here suggested. I did not know that was available. Thanks for the input.
A good quality carpet should last quite awhile.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

This will be the final post on this issue. They installed it yesterday. It is exactly what I was looking for.Matches everything. With all the flecks of black, it won't show much dirt.Thanks again everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating