Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
That's fine, but doesn't the tv look very awkward in that position? I wouldn't be able to stand it. And talk about neck strain for those sitting on the loveseat. I guess they'd just be out of luck. No tv for them. That's even MORE odd than a tv over the fireplace, IMO. And not neck strain, but eye strain for those on the sofa.
It looks incredibly awkward and completely unusable....I can't imagaine that anyone sits on that furniture and comfortably watches the television....but it makes for a nice photograph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I do not like tvs over fireplaces at all.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:54 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
I couldn't resist.

In light of the differing opinions, I thought this might be interesting.

Art of TV Inc - Mirror TVs, Mirrors for Televisions, Television Mirrors, TV in Mirror, TV Frame

Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM

63 posts, read 129,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We have a flat screen over our family room fireplace and we love it. There was really no other logical choice because of the way the room is configurated - works for us with no problems.
Glad to hear it. We are building and it is the only logical place for us. Just curious what is the height from the floor to the bottom of your tv? Anyone else that has a flat screen over the fireplace that likes it, if you don't mind measuring the height that it is at ...maybe we come up with a tv height that is reasonable. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I see it all of the time in peoples homes, in person and on HGTV.

I always thought It looked funny and not to mention, it's too high.

What are your thoughts?
HATE.

When I watch TV I want to watch TV. When I want a fire I just want a fire.

Living room: fireplace. Den: TV. I like it that way.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
So my engineer SO just came in, we talked about this thread, and he said "why not put the fireplace above the TV?"

With today's modern fireplaces this could easily be done.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...tml?rcmndsrc=2

Cha-ching!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
HATE.

When I watch TV I want to watch TV. When I want a fire I just want a fire.

Living room: fireplace. Den: TV. I like it that way.
But some people don't have a fireplace in their living room - it is in their family room. To us, our living room is a formal room - not a room where we watch television. Our television room is family room where we have a fireplace. We very much enjoy having a fire and watching television all in the same room.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
It is way too high over a fire place. My guess is people who have it this high and are OK with it have just learned to live with a bad viewing angle.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
IMO.
If you're using a standard wood burning fireplace and you don't mind the heat, smoke residue and other particles rising up into your expensive TV, greasing and clogging the many microchips, go for it. Flat panel TV's especially Plasmas run hot as it is qnd are expensive to repair. Think about common sense here.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
I'm watching my tv as I type. It's not a bad angle at all. It's hilarious for people to constantly state that a tv over the fireplace causes neck strain, is a bad angle, etc. It does not cause neck strain nor is it a bad angle for me. Our sofa is far back enough that it doesn't create a problem. If it's not your taste, it's not your taste...but it's not a bad angle, a cause for neck strain, etc. Goodness.

Oh, and we never use our fireplace. We're in Texas. So it's not a problem. We thoroughly considered this before we decided on placement of our tv. It wasn't a haphazard decision. We have plenty of common sense, IMO.

Last edited by Mrs.JT; 08-01-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating