Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
A fallacy? You base that on what exactly?
A masters degree in interior design and over 20 years practicing my chosen profession of interior design, one of my specialties is color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
I'd keep the bedroom white, it's a soothing color and helps you sleep better and relax more (red on the other hand is agitating for instance, rarely a good color for a bedroom), if you want some color in there, I'd use the furniture actively as well as possibly painting one wall an accent color.
White is not a good color for bedrooms - every single article I found said that pastels such as green or blue help promote sleep. One article stated that white bedroom walls can cause anxiety and depression while another article was written by a woman who changed her wall color from white to dark tan and immediately slept better - the article stated that light absorbing colors promote sleep while white intensifies light which keeps us from sleeping soundly.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-30-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
A masters degree in interior design and over 20 years practicing my chosen profession of interior design, one of my specialties is color.
And with all that experience, you are saying that under same circumstances, dark walls do not make a room appear/feel smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
White is not a good color for bedrooms - every single article I found said that pastels such as green or blue help promote sleep. One article stated that white bedroom walls can cause anxiety and depression while another article was written by a woman who changed her wall color from white to dark tan and immediately slept better - the article stated that light absorbing colors promote sleep while white intensifies light which keeps us from sleeping soundly.
Maybe us Nordic Europeans are different then, it's generally considered one of the best colors you can have in your room (together with other light, cold colors). I personally always sleep better in a white room, it's calming, soothing and when you wake up, refreshing. Which is entirely in line with what's recommended, at least in Norway.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
And with all that experience, you are saying that under same circumstances, dark walls do not make a room appear/feel smaller?
Um, yes, that is what I am saying.
Although I do not fathom what you mean by "same circumstances".
Light in Norway is NOT the same as in the US.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Um, yes, that is what I am saying.
Although I do not fathom what you mean by "same circumstances".
Light in Norway is NOT the same as in the US.
"Same circumstances" means the same room with the same light source/sources.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
"Same circumstances" means the same room with the same light source/sources.
Thank you for the clarification.
I stand by my original statement.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.
I stand by my original statement.
And I respectfully disagree.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Regarding Room Dimensions

Quote:
Hva slags virkning ønsker du at fargene skal ha på rommet? Ønsker du at rommet skal virke større, eller skal det være intimt og lunt? Visuelt skyver lyse farger veggene ut i rommet, mens mørke farger trekker dem inn. Ofte kan det gi spennende effekter å gi veggene forskjellige farger, kontrastfarger, for å gi mer liv og spenning i rommet. Ladys fargekolleksjon Luft & Ild, gir deg både lyse og varmere farger, som kan kombineres på en slik måte.
Source

Highlighted part translated: "Visually, light colors push the walls "out" in the room, where as darker colors pull them in."

Regarding light/lighting

Quote:
Hvor mye naturlig dagslys har rommet? Er det små eller store vinduer? Hva slags "kunstig" belysning finnes? Lyset påvirker fargene. Lyse farger i et rom med lite dagslys vil gi god lysopplevelse i forhold til mørke farger i samme rom. Test fargene i løpet av døgnet - dagslys og kunstig belysning gjør at fargene kan endre seg. Velg farger som fungerer med begge lyskilder.
Source

Highlighted part translated: "Light colors in a room with limited daylight gives a good experience of light, in comparison to dark colors in the same room"

The source is the biggest manufacturer of paint and powder coat in Norway and one of the leading forces in their field, internationally, they are, amongst other things, the suppliers of paint for the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Many posts were deleted. Back on topic for the OP please.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 AM

240 posts, read 808,067 times
One of my good friends is going through the same thing. The home he purchased is white in every room from floor to ceiling. All the same shade and finish. I told him to look at it as an empty canvas just waiting to be painted. His comments were "it is a little overwhelming and I just don't know where to start." My advice is look at pictures in magazines. Go to the library and you can browse a variety of ones with different styles for free.

Maybe you have a friend that has a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens or Country Living or House Beautiful that would give you an old stack? I have quite a few subscriptions to magazines and I rip out pictures to place in a file that strike me as soothing or something that just catches my fancy to look back at later. Everyone has different tastes and it is a fun journey to figure out your own likes and dislikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating