Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,073,243 times

Advertisements

I think, now i am asking this question in the rite forum , I have a 2500 sqft house, I am a first time home buyer, I am thinking of getting the house painted before i move-in.

So far I have got a quote in the range of $1500-2000, including labor, material.

I am wondering, If i can do that myself ?

How much will i save ? My guess is paint will cost around $500.00, so there could be a potential savings of $1000-1500.

Is it really worth it ?

How dificult is it to paint ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Is it a simple matter of removing some trim/tape it up and paint or are repairs needed first?

In either case, painting is pretty straight forward, make sure the wall and the room is clean, MASK WELL and paint away. You could always try out one room first to see if you can manage.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Painting is the easiest of all home improvement jobs. It doesn't take much skill to paint and most homeowners tackle it themselves after paying way way way way too much money on the paint at the big orange who only wants your little green.

Proper prep work is key. If you paint over peeling paint then your paint job will be something people will point and laugh at. We all see those stupid useless home improvement shows where they swipe the roller back and forth in the middle of the wall. That ain't how ya paint. The best advice is the following: Now remember this as you paint. "LAST STROKE INTO THE WET" Say it over and over and do it. Never swish the brush back and forth as you see on TV randomly. Your last stroke when the brush is dry should always be into the wet.

Now your next issue is getting up there. Pros will have scaffolding. You don't. All you have is a ladder or you might have to rent one. Now you can only paint about 3 square feet before climbing all the way down so you can move the ladder over 3 more feet and then back up again. It will save you money but what's your time worth? Pay the pros is my advice.

Your other alternative is to hire illegal aliens who will paint your whole house for $100 over the cost of the paint. They will laugh all the way to the bank while you cry as everyone points and laughs at your house.

Like anything else. You want it done right then hire a pro.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I have always scrubbed the walls with TSP before painting. Anytime I tried to not scrub it down resulted in a poor job.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Like anything else. You want it done right then hire a pro.

With painting, I disagree.
I can do just as good a job as any pro.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
I think trying to paint one room and see how it goes is the best advice. You have to do the math on the time spent and see if it is worth it for you. For some works it is worth it for me, for others I just take overtime at work and let someone else do the work for me and it turns out to be a wash.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
Can i do Paint on my own ?

How difficult is it to paint ?
I am wondering, If i can do that myself ?
Is it really worth it ?
How difficult is it to paint ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
With painting, I disagree.
I can do just as good a job as any pro.
If you were to ever paint a whole house by yourself... then new construction empty is as good as it gets.
It's also a good exercise for "getting up close and personal" with every nook and cranny in the place.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Up until recently, we always painted ourselves. Like the others have said, prep work is key. Make sure that the walls are clean and make any minor repairs. Use painters tape and good brushes. Make sure that you thoroughly clean the brushes when you are finished. I would also do just one room to see how it goes. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM

421 posts, read 1,073,243 times
Please suggest some reasonable tools i.e. brushes, roller etcc..

Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
Please suggest some reasonable tools i.e. brushes, roller etcc..

Thanks
Do not be temped to buy those brushes that cost 79 cents. They don't work. The best are China bristle but they are expensive. Many nylons are just fine. Read the label on the brush. It will say if it's for paint, stains, polys or whatever. That is the most important thing to remember.

Rollers you will need to choose by nap as they call it. Thick fluffy nap is for heavy porous and fine nap is for new walls with primer. Read the label and it will guide you better then I can explain here.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating