Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm buying a house and currently all the walls are white. So I've been trying to think of all my decorating options.

This is my first home and I don't have alot of furniture. So I'm open to anything. One piece I do have is a dark cherrywood dining room set. So I was thinking of playing off that and painting the dining room a brown color -

The bedrooms are open for anything. I have a black metal & wood frame bed.

The bathroom is horrible - ugly gold & white vinyl and a blue toliet & tub! No idea why they thought that matched. I don't mind the blue though, but the gold is killing me. lol

I'm new to all of this and never had to decorate before. But I love the quirky odd modern vibe if that even makes sense

Any opinons or suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
We need pix, otherwise, its a shot in the dark.
What style is the house, what color are the floors, what are the floors, kitchen cabinets, etc, etc.......
PS: Do NOT paint the DR to match your furniture!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
PS: Do NOT paint the DR to match your furniture!

I will have to get some pictures. Oh I didnt mean that I was going to match the dining room set. I do like darker colors though.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I will have to get some pictures. Oh I didnt mean that I was going to match the dining room set. I do like darker colors though.
There are a plethora of colors one can use without doing brown.
I will wait to see pix before offering suggestions.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
I'd keep the bedroom white, it's a soothing color and helps you sleep better and relax more (red on the other hand is agitating for instance, rarely a good color for a bedroom), if you want some color in there, I'd use the furniture actively as well as possibly painting one wall an accent color.

If you like darker colors, as you say, remember that a dark room appears smaller and that it also needs a lot more light, so think about your lighting options and sources, generally I would advice against very dark colors on the wall, but it is possible to pull it off successfully, it does require good lighting design though.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'd keep the bedroom white, it's a soothing color and helps you sleep better and relax more (red on the other hand is agitating for instance, rarely a good color for a bedroom), if you want some color in there, I'd use the furniture actively as well as possibly painting one wall an accent color.

If you like darker colors, as you say, remember that a dark room appears smaller and that it also needs a lot more light, so think about your lighting options and sources, generally I would advice against very dark colors on the wall, but it is possible to pull it off successfully, it does require good lighting design though.
Darker colors making a room look smaller is a fallacy.
Good lighting design is the key to any well-designed room.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM

235 posts, read 837,396 times
If you want to keep white walls in some rooms, you can decorate with an updated "cottage chic" sort of style. You said you prefer modern styles though, so maybe this isn't your thing. The palette might give you some ideas, though. Pale and Interesting | Online boutique homeware store, by Atlanta Bartlett and Dave Coote. or Sea Cottage

"French country" might not be your thing either, but cherry wood furniture is tied in with that look. You could look up some French country photos for inspiration. Red accents in the dining room would pick up the red in the dining set wood.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Please don't do a brown in the DR with the cherrywood. Cherrywood will look garish if the brown is too yellow, and will disappear if too dark or red. It all depends on what you want it to do. I have a maple table, china cabinet, and interior trim (go figure - the table was a gift 30 years ago, the china cabinet a gift 10 years ago, and we bought the house 3 years ago!) - and I just painted the DR a soft gray-green. The yellow tint in the maple color is softened by the 'cold' gray-green; the paint draws out more of the red tones and makes the wood 'pop'. Spiced up with my posters-glazed-on-wood of French bistros, and my French Bistro curtains delicately trimmed in one-inch green gingham, plus the roosters, baskets, and wooden fruit and vegetable signs, it looks very appealing; like a place you would settle in for a cappucino with a friend or two.

I don't like a white BR; the sun reflects off of it too brilliantly and reminds me of the glare of snowdrifts. I do pale pale BR colors; I am particularly fond of pale lavenders, pale greens, around which I can 'build' my bed and window treatments, making them look soft and welcoming, mildly colorful or flowered if desired, or even pumped up with bold stripes or geometrics. If you are going for more of a "sultan" look, with opulent gold, black, red, or even green, you might want to go for a neutral light gray or even a very pale beige.

My bathroom here was maple trimmed, had huge overwhelming wood furnishings and cabinets, brass fixtures - and was painted what my father would have called "S___ muckle brown". It was dreadful. I painted it a cool blue, got a 'window opening onto a seaside' print curtain for the window that drew the wood and blue and seashells together, and used seashells for decoration on the tops of the cabinets and even the wooden light strip. I polished the brass to a fare-thee-well. The ceilings were 10 feet - so I put a tiny underwater seascape, with fishes and corals, 'way up near the top of the wall across from the 'throne' to add interest. Now instead of a dark cave, it shines with mischievous humor - everyone who walks out of there is grinning! Thank goodness the floor tile was a non-descript white as were the porcelains; so much easier to play with!

Your house should be an expression of you; your tastes and desires, the walls should make your furniture look like it was built-in or made for the room, everything tied together for the 'look' you want to give even the casual observer... plus something that makes YOU feel at home, at last.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
If you prefer a "modern vibe" get a Crate and Barrel catalog. You'll get some ideas from there. The magazine House Beautiful found on any news stand is hardly dedicated to a modern vibe, but they have very good articles about choosing colors in each issue. They also print a separate publication every year that is just dedicated to discussing interior colors.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Darker colors making a room look smaller is a fallacy.
Good lighting design is the key to any well-designed room.
A fallacy? You base that on what exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating