Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
LOL. I'm glad I am not the only one that mentally redecorates or cleans people's homes.

Oh where do I begin!

Odd color schemes drive me nuts.

When people paint their trim work extremely bold and disgusting colors.

Matching everything. Blue carpet, blue walls, blue sofa, blue chair, blue drapes....etc etc

Buying furniture that is way too large for a room or too much of it

Mixing wood flooring. Oak in the hall, walnut in the living room. I cant count how many times people have said, "hey, I got this flooring on clearance!" Fantastic but if it doesn't work in your home, its not a deal.

White plastic Vertical blinds that are found in cheap apartments and offices. Please dont use them in your home.

Or cheap plastic blinds that your kid destroyed but you leave the blind hanging up anyway. If 10 slats are missing, please shell out the 5 bucks and put a new one up.

Mauve anything

Cheap ceiling fans that are white with brass accents

Fake greenery above kitchen cabinets or in the bathroom

Hanging artwork too high, crooked or odd spacing

Knick knacks everywhere. "Oh I just love owls" so they litter their homes with everything owl.

Tab top curtains hung on non decorative rods.

I think you pretty much covered my list too...these faux pas make me nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
Your home is the further extension of your personality. If you have the personality of a dry stick or an electrified artificial flower then go with it. It reveals who you are--for better or for worse. People who have loving families often have family photo groupings. We have one wall called Seaside and it shows our family by the sea in various places and times. There is another that is just my husband, a retired newsman and photographer. People spend hours looking at these photos and they are great conversation starters. If you are single and still in hunting mode, I'd dispense with family photos. It's easy to screw up such an arrangement however. Frames with easel backs, even removed, meant for tables, should not be hung on the wall. Do not use "the available nail" something left over from another person's decor, which is always too high. Select textiles to be used in your room before you pick the paint color--almost impossible to do vice versa. Pick one color of white paint to use throughout your home-ours is Benj. Moore's Dove White. It doesn't matter what it is--but surgical white isn't pretty--it just needs to be the same. Invest in a fan deck of paint chips and use it to avoid mis-matches. Float sofas and try to avoid the cookie cutter look of your neighbors. Old can be wonderful combined with chic new pieces but very, very carefully--sometimes they fight. It's all a matter of taste and whatever you do it will reveal yours.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM

504 posts, read 852,204 times
I must have the personality of a vintage Transformer collection combined with a dozen or so fantasy-themed framed paintings from a great artist at our Renaissance Faire

Throw in a lovely glass topped coffee and entry tables made of dragons, add in silvery grey walls and purple accent wall/drapes/accessories and I call it...

Nerd Chic.

P.S. my keyboard, mouse and computer case both glow with purple LED accent lighting that matches the rest of the purple accents. Yep, Nerd Chic.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra LaRouche View Post
Your home is the further extension of your personality. If you have the personality of a dry stick or an electrified artificial flower then go with it. It reveals who you are--for better or for worse. People who have loving families often have family photo groupings. We have one wall called Seaside and it shows our family by the sea in various places and times. There is another that is just my husband, a retired newsman and photographer. People spend hours looking at these photos and they are great conversation starters. If you are single and still in hunting mode, I'd dispense with family photos. It's easy to screw up such an arrangement however. Frames with easel backs, even removed, meant for tables, should not be hung on the wall. Do not use "the available nail" something left over from another person's decor, which is always too high. Select textiles to be used in your room before you pick the paint color--almost impossible to do vice versa. Pick one color of white paint to use throughout your home-ours is Benj. Moore's Dove White. It doesn't matter what it is--but surgical white isn't pretty--it just needs to be the same. Invest in a fan deck of paint chips and use it to avoid mis-matches. Float sofas and try to avoid the cookie cutter look of your neighbors. Old can be wonderful combined with chic new pieces but very, very carefully--sometimes they fight. It's all a matter of taste and whatever you do it will reveal yours.
Anything early american makes me puke. Especially the black eagles over the front door.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I guess this old thread is reviving. I always notice how art is hung. Often it is hung too high, but just as often you see one picture hung in the middle of each wall in a room Ouch! I hate that.

And frankly, I'm sick of oak furniture. It isn't made or finished well. It isn't pretty wood. Why do people cling to oak?

And, I don't like cutesy country, or cutesy early American, or cutesy mid-century either. Lay off the cute, OK? Just give me a room that feels serene. So, I don't like a lot of tchotchkes out on tables or on open shelves. If you have collectibles, put some of them away, OK? And display the best behind glass.

And I hate fake plants, fake greenery (except possibly at Christmas), or wreaths made of fake flowers. The stuff just looks fake.

I cut anyone slack who is mixing periods in rooms. I don't think we all have to have matchy matchy in a room, or be so tightly controlled in our decor that grandma's old piano can't fit in. We live in these spaces after all. Most of us can't afford to have a room set aside as perfect and never lived in. We need to be able to be happy in our spaces, and often the old pieces make us happy. I also don't imagine that most of us can control color schemes the way they do in magazines. What I like is seeing the personality of someone in a home. I like feeling love and peace when I sit down in it. I like an uncluttered kitchen with blank work surfaces and a clean feeling. I can forgive a lot of stuff if those things are present.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I hate religious stuff around the house. My SIL has cruifixes, Padre Pia pictures, and all that other BS hung up. I think it looks horrible.

Dont like all the matchy matchy stuff either.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Hi - I just found this topic - i know i have a few things that would bug you but for me i need it or want it - after all I live there my bff has tasteful decor, and he teases me about these things - i HAVE to have a salt and pepper shaker on my living room side table, and NOT put away each night (I HATE HATE HATE WHEN people feel the need to Put away everything at night when you are just gonna use it the next day); he also keeps closing my closet/pantry doors but why bother, I have to just open them up the next day and its not bothering me ; also he hates my little green mesh trash can in the frontroom, but i need it there because it catches my craft scraps, but he says "no one" has a small green trash can in their living room. Is that true by the way? If I am going to use an item each day I do not want to have to tote it back and forth in from cabinet to side table, and back and forth.. when i sit down i want it there ready to use and not have to get up and go fetch it continually.

I also love a white kitchen, and I do not crave a granite counter top, nor cherry wood paneling on my cabinets, nor black or silver refrigerator.

One thing I do hate when viewing another person's decor - huge striped wallpaper (blech too garish); and too much of that cheap looking brown wood (maybe it is oak?) that people with no decorating sense seem to have.. it looks cheap, its usually brown with a lot of swirls in it. my ex husband loved it, maybe thats why i hate it. it looks TACKY! and cheap and common.

by the way, I love beachy cottage look and shabby chic.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
(I HATE HATE HATE WHEN people feel the need to Put away everything at night when you are just gonna use it the next day)
LOL.

Once when my mom was visiting, she noticed a pile of workout tapes stacked (very neatly, mind you) in the corner by the TV. She said "Couldn't you put those away?" with a heavy sigh ... and I replied "That is away."

Quote:
also he hates my little green mesh trash can in the frontroom, but i need it there because it catches my craft scraps, but he says "no one" has a small green trash can in their living room. Is that true by the way?
I'm sure there are at least 100 people in this great nation who have a little green trash can in their living room!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL.

Once when my mom was visiting, she noticed a pile of workout tapes stacked (very neatly, mind you) in the corner by the TV. She said "Couldn't you put those away?" with a heavy sigh ... and I replied "That is away."

I'm sure there are at least 100 people in this great nation who have a little green trash can in their living room!

your too funny, I too hate when everything has to be put away, away. Some things just need to be out. When i was 30, everything had to be in its place and away, i am now **, and i could care less...
i am going o need it tomorrow, like you said, oh, just leave it out already, it isnt hurting anyone.

we now have mesh baskets for all our meds, kill me now.

I hate when people tie back curtains or drapes and don't do it correctly. Makes me want to go over and adjust them.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
I believe in good (and bad) design, but I mostly think it doesn't belong in a home. "Good design" in this context is whatever the person who lives there likes, whatever is comfortable and meaningful to them. Unfortunately, you can't take photos of that and put it in a portfolio, magazine, or coffee table book.

This whole thread reminds me of that Frasier episode, "Give Him the Chair!"

"Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the Moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. Y'know I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating