Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 PM

6,810 posts, read 11,474,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
LOL. If you ever stepped foot into my Step Mother n law's homes you would have OCD overload. She is by far the absolute worst decorator I have ever seen. She asked me once what I thought her style was. I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to say, "umm....deranged brothel?"
I was expecting some sort of oil-on-velvet paintings - either Elvis, a unicorn or those stupid looking children with the big eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

50,179 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Falling water, that is HILARIOUS. Some people just have no taste. My latest pet peeeves are:
1. Cheap DIY - especially in beautiful houses. Stick on tiles are evil: http://www.bz1-img.com/images_custom...63275_full.jpg

2. BIG artwork at back-level and lower over those decorative benches. Pretty but impractical.
http://eclecticrevisited.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/foyer-art-abstract-walls-decorating-deas-home-decor-blue-black-bench-painting-eclectic-home-decorating-ideas-valentino-interior.jpg (broken link)
3. Cheap Furniture - Especially in large or expensive houses.
I get the feeling these people cleaned out WalMart or the dollar store to decorate their expensive house: 111 Forge Haven Dr, Perry Hall, MD 21128 MLS# bc7611683 - Zillow
OMG, is that Zillow house furniture ugly, or what?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Cluttered "country decor" with all sorts of cheap little signs and nicknacks. Something like this drives me crazy!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM

235 posts, read 836,449 times
"Too much of a good thing" syndrome!

That one gets to me. It doesn't matter what the homeowner's "style" type is, if they go completely overboard with it, it just looks insane. Not every square inch of space needs to be piled up with junk! It's claustrophobia inducing.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM

235 posts, read 836,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually...I just hung a few sheer panels in my bedroom to frame a 9' window. They look good!
The Sears catalogues used to have a section devoted to curtains made with a lot of ruffles, usually in a solid colour like hunter green shiny satin, or sapphire blue, or ruby red, but occasionally they would be large ruffles and all polyester lace, probably in colours like mint green or frosting pink. The same ruffled styles, year after year, decade after decade...

The Sears catalogue would also have shower curtains in very similar designs. Ruffles upon ruffles. Actually, the shower curtains and the regular window curtains were indistinguishable from each other.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cluttered "country decor" with all sorts of cheap little signs and nicknacks. Something like this drives me crazy!
I'm having heart palpitations!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Y'all, I do this everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go.
Its one of the downfalls of my profession.
One place I really try not to do it is with friends and family, I love them and when I am in their homes, its all about them, you know?
That being said.......if they ask me for a professional opinion on their home, and they unfailingly do.....well........
I'm always unfailingly tactful, though, no matter how bad it is.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One place I really try not to do it is with friends and family, I love them and when I am in their homes, its all about them, you know?
That being said.......if they ask me for a professional opinion on their home, and they unfailingly do.....well........
I can only imagine. I am not a professional. I did study interior design but only for a few semesters then made the switch to graphic design (bad move). My husband and I have restored several homes which has given me a lot of practice.

I am known to friends and family as the decor guru which is flattering but an annoyance at the same time because I am often asked for advice. The problem I have with this is, they always ask AFTER the room is done. The walls have been painted and furniture has been purchased. I mean what do you say at that point? They ask for my advice after the fact because something about the room is not working and they want to know why. In reality they really dont want to know why because who wants to find out they just spent a grand or so on something that they shouldn't have.

A close family member just did this to me a few months ago. She asked me to stop over and check out her living room redo. She seemed pleased but when I got there she admitted it wasn't working and what were my thoughts. Ugh. The sofa is a stunning piece but way too big for her space. It simply doesnt work. The only solution I could come up with was placing the sofa on the largest wall in the living room. That wall has the cable line. She does not want to move it. So she placed the sofa in the middle of room blocking the front door. She said no one uses the front door so its not a big deal. I then asked how she gets her mail. She admitted she climbs over the sofa to get to the door. Design should enhance your space not make it an obstacle course! Sheesh...hope no one calls for a while. I hate being in that position. I just wish people would call before they buy anything.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 AM

672 posts, read 2,109,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ah, Country threw up in the kitchen!

Can somebody get the Pepto, please?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 AM

50,179 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I was waiting for you to weigh in...You must really have a hard time with this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating