U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,529,560 times

Advertisements

Despite being downsized from work I bought a new Kenmore fridge with all the bells and whistles today. Our old fridge is on life support. After hours of reading reviews on Consumer Reports and other websites I chose the Sears which had the lowest failure rate of new fridges. New fridges dont last as long as Grandma's did. Even with the five year extended warranty you can only expect 8-10 years for this product. Sad, but that's reality in this era of shoddy Chinese-made goods.
Sears will deliver it next week. I'll report back then.
Everyone have a great July weekend! AB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,628,750 times
Subzero and Wolf are still made in the US, as are Viking.
Quite a few Kenmore appliances are made in the US.
Planned obsolesce started long before everything was made in China.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/appliances.html

Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 PM

44,256 posts, read 57,040,417 times
My Subzero is 24 years old, and my parents' is 28 years old...

Nasty up front expense, but obviously worth it in the long run.

I think Kenmore is a great appliance maker, but the things we own by them are really old...

Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Despite being downsized from work I bought a new Kenmore fridge with all the bells and whistles today. Our old fridge is on life support. After hours of reading reviews on Consumer Reports and other websites I chose the Sears which had the lowest failure rate of new fridges. New fridges dont last as long as Grandma's did. Even with the five year extended warranty you can only expect 8-10 years for this product. Sad, but that's reality in this era of shoddy Chinese-made goods.
I bought a new Kenmore Elite fridge with all the bells and whistles last month to replace 17 year old Kenmore (nothing fancy) that was still working well (now in garage). Love the new one. I really hunted hard before choosing the Kenmore and am pleased with my choice. It is too nice, now I have to redo the whole kitchen Good luck with yours!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,414,937 times
Default Hmm, surprised they missed Northland...

One of the more unique companies: Northland Celebrates New Campaign, Web Site, Logo and Products : Northland Kitchen Appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Subzero and Wolf are still made in the US, as are Viking.
Quite a few Kenmore appliances are made in the US.
Planned obsolesce started long before everything was made in China.

Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Home Appliances

Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,628,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I've used that company, they make a great product!
I've used this company also, great for repro's!
http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/

Old 07-15-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I bought a new Kenmore Elite fridge with all the bells and whistles last month to replace 17 year old Kenmore (nothing fancy) that was still working well (now in garage). Love the new one. I really hunted hard before choosing the Kenmore and am pleased with my choice. It is too nice, now I have to redo the whole kitchen Good luck with yours!
Nice! Hope it performs well. Another week for delivery here.
Cant wait to have a working icemaker when it's 100 in Sacramento!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,433,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
I did the same thing in 2005, researching and reading Consumer Reports after Hurricane Katrina ruined my prior refrigerator. I got a highly rated Kenmore, too. The one I selected was a standard top freezer model with a cold water dispenser but not all the bells and whistles.

My Kenmore refrigerator is the best one I ever had and has been completely problem free for the past 6 years since I bought it. It still looks like new, and it is so well designed and easy to clean. It seems pretty energy efficient too. I hope yours turns out to be just as nice.

Sorry to hear you were downsized from work.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Tomorrow, Monday, is fridge day. The Sears robot called and delivery is after 4 (sheesh!). More to follow...

Last edited by Aquaboy; 07-24-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 PM

10,310 posts, read 13,028,152 times
Sold my parents home in 2009, in the basement was the original (1952) Westinghouse fridge which my Mom moved when to remodeled the kitchen. Still worked like a champ but the freezer required defrosting. Sold it to a scrap metal dealer and made a ton of money for a 57 year old fridge. So much for the "new" appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating