Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

Rather then throw ideas at you which would be useless on the subject of what will be ""in" in 20 years I will just say no one knows. So why make a guess? If any of us knew what would be "in" we all should be playing the stock market.

The only thing I know for positive sure is what trends are coming in now and I can tell you by experience these same trends will die in a year or 2 like ever other trend over the past decades.

If you buy quality brand products and have your kitchen properly laid out, your kitchen should still look good even at 20 years without anyone screaming how it is so 2011.

Anyway....at the current rate of depreciation of homes in America during these depression times, our homes will have no value in 20 years. They will be free for the taking. So what does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 AM

74 posts, read 288,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We had a summer house that was a center-hall Colonial like the OP describes, stunning house.
The kitchen had white cabinets with some glass doors, zinc and marble countertops, a big farm sink, black and white tiled floor, I basically channeled that house, lol
It also had hand painted wallpaper in the dining room, marble showers, a butlers pantry, and the most incredibly beautiful drawing room, I loved that house!
I wish my house was 1/4 as stunning - but no such luck
Here are pics of the kitchen and the dining room which flows. We're definitely keeping the dining room furniture (it's brand new!)

I'm not sure about white cabinets. I personally love the look, but not sure about actually living with it in my own kitchen. Also, my husband would have dark, dark cabinets if he got his way (he wont!).

Attachment 82670

Attachment 82671

Attachment 82672

Attachment 82673

Attachment 82674

Attachment 82675

Last edited by chiefy; 07-28-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The only thing I know for positive sure is what trends are coming in now and I can tell you by experience these same trends will die in a year or 2 like ever other trend over the past decades.
That's partly my question. Since by default stores focus on what's popular i.e. trendy, what's the best way to steer clear of the current fads.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Well right now the trend is "cherry cabinets", "black gray white speckled granite" and "SS applances".....as per HGTV, and also a lot of model apartments that I have seen. ugh, and I have seen many....

and even the "espresso color" mono chromatic cabinets with the silver hardware, "glass tile back splash" these are a few of the screaming 2011 looks that will fade, really soon.

I am thinking that by now the glass tile back splashes are already starting to fade.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Bonus points for the kitty in the pictures!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Just a minor point but something to consider. IS anything really "timeless"? My sister owns the center hall colonial built in 1926. A true stunner. She still has the original kitchen cabinets and has had them restored to original. She is very retro in her style and has had the "new" cabinets added to match her "old" ones in style. When I go to her kitchen, it screams "update to me, but it is really high end, expensive and beautifully done. That said, if I were looking to buy her home, I would look at the kitchen and figure on having to renovate it. It all comes down to what your individual style is. I say love what you do and enjoy it for yourself. You can always do a "cheap" update by changing out the hardware and faucets to modernized it down the road.

I recall back in the 70's the avocado and gold appliances were the rage, can't help but wonder if the SS of today will be the avocado and gold of tomorrow?

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-22-2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just a minor point but something to consider. IS anything really "timeless"? My sister owns the center hall colonial built in 1926. A true stunner. She still has the original kitchen cabinets and has had them restored to original. She is very retro in her style and has had the "new" cabinets added to match her "old" ones in style. When I go to her kitchen, it screams "update to me, but it is really high end, expensive and beautifully done. That said, if I were looking to buy her home, I would look at the kitchen and figure on having to renovate it. It all comes down to what your individual style is. I say love what you do and enjoy it for yourself. You can always do a "cheap" update by changing out the hardware and faucets to modernized it down the road.

I recall back in the 70's the avocado and gold appliances were the rage, can't help but wonder if the SS of today will be the avocado and gold of tomorrow?

It will, no doubt about that, and people will be saying:
Gee, what was I thinking.??

SS is no different than harvest gold and avacado.

because five years from now something else will come out, thus replacing the SS era...............cant wait

Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
I wish my house was 1/4 as stunning - but no such luck
Here are pics of the kitchen and the dining room which flows. We're definitely keeping the dining room furniture (it's brand new!)

I'm not sure about white cabinets. I personally love the look, but not sure about actually living with it in my own kitchen. Also, my husband would have dark, dark cabinets if he got his way (he wont!).

Attachment 82670

Attachment 82671

Attachment 82672

Attachment 82673

Attachment 82674

Attachment 82675
I understand how you feel about white cabinets, I have cream cabinets in the house we are in now, and they arent any more trouble than the stain grade cabinets we had before, and I am a messy cook.
Hubs and I are going to Lowes in just a bit, I will post some more ideas for you when we get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Yes, there is such a thing as timeless design, its actually my specialty, the tag line on my business card is "Classic design for a modern world".
There are certain styles and shapes that transcend trends, they have been used for hundreds of years, if used correctly, and refreshed with modern colors and accessories, are completely relevant right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM

If stainless steel is going to be "out". What would you put in a kitchen today for appliances?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
If stainless steel is going to be "out". What would you put in a kitchen today for appliances?
I always try to do cabinet-front appliances, its a much cleaner look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating