Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,055,080 times

Advertisements

We are updating our house and can't decide on a wall color for our half bath. Here is the marble tile we have on the floor: Click image for larger version

Name:	tile.JPG
Views:	19781
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	82712
There is a white pedestal sink and a simple white toilet and a window. The tile has greys, pinks, light tans, etc in it. The rest of the house is a khaki color but its too dark for the bathroom so needing some ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:56 AM

63 posts, read 128,832 times
What color(s) do you decorate or accent with in rooms close by the half bath?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,055,080 times
Here is the color of all the walls on our 1st floor: Click image for larger version

Name:	wall color.jpg
Views:	6517
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	82722 and all the trim is white. We just painted a week or so ago so we don't have any accessories or anything yet.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,780 times
Personally I love wallpaper in powder rooms and because the space is so small you and you don't need a lot of paper, you can get a better quality paper. It makes a bold statement and adds interest whenever someone goes in or out. However, if you insist on painting, go dark. Don't believe all the hype about avoiding dark paint in small spaces. You're even more fortunate because you have a window in yours. I'd say goes 2-3 shades darker than the color that's in the rest of your house. Good luck!!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM

19,710 posts, read 11,963,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaniels11 View Post
Personally I love wallpaper in powder rooms and because the space is so small you and you don't need a lot of paper, you can get a better quality paper. It makes a bold statement and adds interest whenever someone goes in or out. However, if you insist on painting, go dark. Don't believe all the hype about avoiding dark paint in small spaces. You're even more fortunate because you have a window in yours. I'd say goes 2-3 shades darker than the color that's in the rest of your house. Good luck!!

I agree! Little bathrooms are a great place to make a bold statement. I wonder how chocolate would look? There was a great bathroom remodel on gardenweb bathroom forums that had a ceiling painted in chocolate with a pretty chandelier and the color made the chandelier pop.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 PM

885 posts, read 1,515,405 times
I vote for sky blue !

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM

63 posts, read 128,832 times
Well, you go on a forum to get different opinions right? I disagree with the wallpaper idea. If you ever want to sell, most likely they are not going to like it and wallpaper is a pain to remove. I am building a home and actually going with a very similar color in most main areas. I am actually using a french mustard color as my accent/punch color and so putting it in my half-bath. Now I have more of a fall color scheme to my decor. I would highly recommend going to Sherwin-Williams.com and using their color visualization. I went there and quickly guessed your color was similar to 6101 Sands of Time and one of the coordinating colors was called 6341 Red Cent. It looked really nice. If you are concerned with doing a bold color all over, you could also just accent one wall and do the rest in one shade lighter than the color in the rest of the walls. Really depends are your comfort level. One final tip for bathrooms, a bathroom is where you want to look at yourself. Warm colors such as red, orange, yellows or pinks can give you an appearance of a more healthy glow verses say a green or bland color, although they can be calming. Thus, a little vibrance in a half-bath would be nice and the red or pink family of color would be nice with the marble color you have chosen. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,081,703 times
I agree, a half bath is when you can really make a statement. Ours is wallpapered and I am not a fan of wallpaper really but it made such an impact I love it. I always get compliments on the bathroom. When I get tired of it, its a small room to change. I tried to take a picture but the room is too small you wouldn't be able to see much. We have hardwood floors, a small pedestal sink and a toilet in there. No window. I have white chair rail molding that breaks up the space. The upper half is papered in a silver gray scroll design with a tan background. It is soft and has an old world feel. The bottom part is a dark gray. The fixtures are brushed nickle. The lighting is a small two arm fixture with creme colored shades. The artwork is vintage photographs of Rome and Paris in silver, bronze and black frames. I installed two dark expresso shelves above the toilet with dark brown baskets that hold the TP, towels and cleaning supplies. Everyone says its a cozy. It must be because when guests come to my house I noticed they spend some time in there. ha ha! Then they come out saying wow that is such a cute bathroom. I know they are sitting on the can just looking around at everything.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,101,312 times
I would avoid wallpaper personally. We have spent too much of our lives scraping wallpaper off walls that I refuse to do that any more and it would be a HUGE turnoff for resale.

My favorite half bath ever was a family friend's--black tile floor and walls (to the ceiling), black painted ceiling, black fixtures, red accents. That room was so cool looking. It is pretty bold but again, it's a half bath .

Take some of your tile to a bath store (Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc.) anywhere that has a large selection of towels and bathroom accessories. Find some towels or accessories that you love and use those as your inspiration for the wall color--either match the towels, a color in an accessory or go with a contrasting color.

On my computer your tile appears to have a lot of gray--I would go with that color for my walls--a deep, deep gray--if it were me.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

889 posts, read 2,703,917 times
I think the deep gray sounds nice. I'm one of those who despises wallpaper, BUT my powder room is the only room in the house that I papered. Everyone comments on it. Also, they ask if it's paper or just a really cool paint technique. It's a small room. Have some fun with it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating