Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times

Advertisements

I have some real ugly paper. Can you paint over it? Will it look bad? Or would it be easier to paper over it? It is smooth, and am not looking forward to taking it down. What is the easiest solution?
Also, if I paint over it, what would happen if I ever wanted to get the paper off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
You can generally paint over smooth wallpaper. If the colors/pattern are strong, you may want to use a "primer" coat for better hiding power.

If you choose later to remove the wallpaper, the paint coats will make the job a little more difficult as you steam the paper off. But it will still come off ...

Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I am sure I have the ugliest wallpaper.. green stripes on all four walls, with a flower border.
Check out hgtv.com for hints on removing wallpaper. You can use water with vinegar or water and fabric softner. They also give you hints on how to be sure the wallpaper was installed correctly.
I used a primer and painted over the wallpaper in a bathroom. Looks pretty good even if I do say so myself.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,213 times
Try using a vinegar mixture with water , sponge it over the paper and let it sit a few minutes. You may need to repeat a few times if glue is thick. The paper and glue will fall right off the wall with puddy knife, light sand it after it dries and paint. More work than painting over the paper but a much better result when your done

Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
My previous house had wallpaper everywhere and the woman put the paper on builder paint with no primer and it was a nightmare. I purchased a solution that I mixed with warm water but because of the way it was put up I ended up getting a cheap steamer.

I would try the vinager but mix it with warm water. Also, I would stay clear of the tool (I forgot the name) that you roll around the paper, it does let the water penetrate the paper underneath but the paper comes off in little pieces oppose to big strips.

Good luck, that is the reason I hate wallpaper!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
If it's one of those vinyl coated papers, you might have a big mess trying to get the paint to stay on.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,349 times
if the paper is still tight to the wall, you might consider using joint compound (some call it wall mud - it's used to cover the screwheads in drywall). lay a skim coat over the wallpaper seams, let it dry and lightly sand. then apply a good primer and paint.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,395 times
Buy or rent a wallpaper steamer. It is worth it to try and take it down and do the job well. A huge pain, but worth it in the end.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
I have done both, painted over wallpaper and also removed wallpaper and then painted the walls.

I attempted to remove the wallpaper in a hallway by going over the walls with the small roll around tool that was mentioned in a previous post. It makes indentations in the wallpaper and is supposed to allow whatever liquid that you use to penetrate the wallpaper and make the paper easier to remove. HA!
As also posted before, the paper comes off in random pieces. This also led to some gouges in the drywall underneath the paper. Oh, used a commercial liquid mixed w/water. Did not have the results as listed on that product.

Checked with some others and it was recommended that I use plain water and a sponge. So I applied the warm water onto the paper in about 3 foot sections. Only waited about 2 minutes and in some cases had to apply water again, then started at a corner and was able to remove some of the paper in strips. Went over the whole hallway in this manner and was able to remove all of the paper. Filled in any gouges with joint compound. Let that dry. Sand if uneven. Applied a primer. Let that dry. Then applied the paint.

In a bedroom I decided to remove some of the paper in the above mentioned manner. Then on 1 wall decided to see if I could paint over the paper. I did not use a primer and painted over the paper with excellent results. Paper was a thick, patterned paper and fairly smooth. It has been about 8 weeks and the walls look great. Paint has not 'peeled' off of the painted over walls. And the colour is the same on all walls.

I will never, ever put wallpaper up again, unless someone can guarantee me that I will not have to be the one to remove it.

I do wish you good luck. Take a break every now and then, you will need it.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times
I have decided I am going to paint over it. As I examined it there is one hole in the wall about 2 inches wide. How would I patch this with wallpaper all around it? The paint won't go over the hole.... Course, I could always just skip that area and put a picture over it when done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating