Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM

63 posts, read 129,224 times

Advertisements

We are building a story and a half home and had planned to use oil rubbed bronze (ORB) handles throughout. However, recently we learned some of the ORB faucet options were being pulled due to people not liking the worn look so quickly, especially the high use items as faucets. This made me think, this would probably be an issue with the handles as well. We were already thinking to go with brushed nickel (BN) in the laundry and bathrooms for the hardware, lighting and faucets to brighten things up and also thought BN would have the staying power to last a lifetime. Does it seem weird to have some handles ORB and others BN. I attached the main floor layout and the plan is to have all the exterior doors and central areas seen from great room as ORB, but the door between garage and home, laundry, half-bath, mudroom closet and pantry as BN. Any opionions?
Attached Thumbnails
Lever Handles in New House? - Oil Rubbed Bronze vs Brushed Nickel, both?-weaver_plan_8-12-11_page_07.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
So long as you don't have rooms where there is a visible mix of hardware it will look fine. BTW if you want to keep the ORB stuff looking pretty good you really ought to invest in a little jar of "micro-crystalline wax". The most well known brand is "Renaissance" and for a small investment of money (about $20),and time (like five minutes per door or faucet twice a year) it will keep ORB looking "showroom new" in just about any setting...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Hmmm...I didn't know that ORB gets worn looking. I replaced my kitchen faucet a little over a year ago to ORB and it still looks like it did the day we got it. We have hard water too. Our cabinet hardware is ORB and that was put in about 5 yrs ago. No issues. I changed out all our door knobs and hinges from brass to ORB about 4 months ago and they all look fine still. Are you saying that people just tire of ORB or the finish actually wears off?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I think you forgot to mention a key notation. The plan calls for 6 panel oak doors with oak casing. So, I'll assume that it's all stain grade- to go along with the oak jamb for the windows(?)

If that's the case- BN won't look good on the oak like the ORB will. And as far as finish retention, it's a matter of manufacturer. Some of the cheap-ass manufacturers have cheap-ass finishes. Stick with with better known manufacturers for hardware.
Here's a list of most manufacturers you can find in the states:
Manufacturers | ebuild.com | Hardware

Old 08-17-2011, 04:17 PM

63 posts, read 129,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Hmmm...I didn't know that ORB gets worn looking. I replaced my kitchen faucet a little over a year ago to ORB and it still looks like it did the day we got it. We have hard water too. Our cabinet hardware is ORB and that was put in about 5 yrs ago. No issues. I changed out all our door knobs and hinges from brass to ORB about 4 months ago and they all look fine still. Are you saying that people just tire of ORB or the finish actually wears off?
Yes, ORB does eventually have a more worn look unless you take steps to wax them and clean up the finish regularly. I agree they are beautiful, I just don't ever want to replace them. Also, I changed to BN for hardware, faucets and lighting in bathrooms because they already pulled the ORB option due to too many claims and complaints about worn look of ORB. Maybe that supplier is not providing a high quality level of product?? Not sure, but I am not taking chances. I am sure if you did it yourself you probably bought a quality level of product. Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I think you forgot to mention a key notation. The plan calls for 6 panel oak doors with oak casing. So, I'll assume that it's all stain grade- to go along with the oak jamb for the windows(?)

If that's the case- BN won't look good on the oak like the ORB will. And as far as finish retention, it's a matter of manufacturer. Some of the cheap-ass manufacturers have cheap-ass finishes. Stick with with better known manufacturers for hardware.
Here's a list of most manufacturers you can find in the states:
Manufacturers | ebuild.com | Hardware
Thanks for the tip. I checked with them and they are Schlage, although we switched to aged bronze to maintain a the longevity of the look. We did go with BN in the bathrooms for brightness and to make faucets and lighting. I feel better now knowing we are getting a good brand.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 12,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciteful View Post
... recently we learned some of the ORB faucet options were being pulled due to people not liking the worn look so quickly, especially the high use items as faucets...
Oil-rubbed bronze fixtures already have a naturally worn look, even when new. So while you likely mean that some of faucet options quickly acquired an even more worn look, it actually sounds like you're saying people quickly tired of the worn look that oil-rubbed bronze naturally possesses.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I have the oiled rubbed bronze in my bathroom, i bought them from faucet.com, they are a good place to get from. However the faucets i bough were the brand Kingston brass. DO NOT BUY THEM.

The faucet on the bathroom vanity had to have 2 new cartridges already since there was no water pressure coming out.
Now the new thing is, the hot and cold faucet squeeks when turned on. The cold side has to be turned on all the way for any water to come out. The aireator is not that good as when the water is on it splashes all over.

The sink and bathtub drain catch thingy, the bronze has already wore off and the gold is showing thru (that is what I just got rid of). They have sent me 2 new drians, for the tub and vanioty, but as of yet I have not had them installed.

i am not happy at all with kingston brass.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:37 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,801 times
I have had ORB for over 10 years everything still looks new. So I am unsure why others say it looks worn.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I think the ORB is simply passing out of fashion. Personally, I'd want all my fixtures to match if possible. (They won't if we replace our kitchen and bath fixtures, but that is another issue.) Since you are building, you have the chance to implement your vision. If your vision is one metal for all fixtures, then I'd choose one metal.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Zombie post from 2011. Hopefully the OP already decided!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating