Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 PM

36 posts, read 212,354 times

Advertisements

We are going for a mid-century type decor style in our 70's ranch home. We both like the clean lines of mid-century but aren't totally wed to the specifics, but rather the basic clean lines of it. We updated the original cabinets with new(shaker style) doors and a coat of white paint, plus granite countertops. I have a few mid-century pieces that I got from my grandmother and garage sales, and have plans to replace a craftsman-y coffee table with a large marble-topped hairpin legged coffee table (we bought a 3'x8' remnant at a local stone yard).

We bought the house due to a fairly open family-dining-living-kitchen area. It's "L-shaped" with the sunken living room (with tv), then the regular height dining room and kitchen on the vertical surface of the L, and the family room on the horizontal portion of the "L." From the dining/kitchen we can see both from the family/dining room. I actually prefer the eclectic look but prefer keeping my husband happy with a more consistent look.

Fireplace/TV
Living room

dining family
kitchen family

hall
hall
hall

We are planning to replace the family room sofa with an IKEA mid-century knockoff(karlstad) as we don't regularly use them and we have 2 BIG dogs that shed white and like to leave muddy footprints EVERYWHERE and the replaceable/washable covers are great for that. Is matching the sofas in the family room to the living room important if we keep with a consistent style guideline versus matching the designer/builder of both sofas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertse View Post
Have you considered getting rid of the dogs?
Lol.

NOT A CHANCE.

The dogs are family and will be with us until(and replaced shortly after)they die.

Regardless we will always have big dogs in our lives and the real question is whether mismatched sofas (even within the style) are a reasonable(acceptable) home design solution.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Laurel,
To answer your question, No.
You don't have to matchy matchy.
I hate matchy matchy.
If you want to be consistent with the design style and the lines you like
in the furniture, then do it. It will look good.
Personally, I like no matchy matchy.
But then again, I am a person who likes to own originals of things,
one of kind pieces, you get the point.
I have 2 ****uz and a bichon.
Don't laugh, I use bed sheets on my furniture.
I allow the dogs to enjoy the furniture, and I wash the sheets
regularly. The furniture stays clean.
They are my family too.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaureltQ View Post
Is matching the sofas in the family room to the living room important if we keep with a consistent style guideline versus matching the designer/builder of both sofas?
You do not have to match the designer/builder of the sofas. As long as you stick with similar styles and use color to tie the rooms together, you'll be fine. By using color, that doesn't mean both sofas need to be the same color. It simply means the colors of the rooms and furniture should complement each other.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaureltQ View Post
We are going for a mid-century type decor style in our 70's ranch home. We both like the clean lines of mid-century but aren't totally wed to the specifics, but rather the basic clean lines of it. We updated the original cabinets with new(shaker style) doors and a coat of white paint, plus granite countertops. I have a few mid-century pieces that I got from my grandmother and garage sales, and have plans to replace a craftsman-y coffee table with a large marble-topped hairpin legged coffee table (we bought a 3'x8' remnant at a local stone yard).

We bought the house due to a fairly open family-dining-living-kitchen area. It's "L-shaped" with the sunken living room (with tv), then the regular height dining room and kitchen on the vertical surface of the L, and the family room on the horizontal portion of the "L." From the dining/kitchen we can see both from the family/dining room. I actually prefer the eclectic look but prefer keeping my husband happy with a more consistent look.

Fireplace/TV
Living room

dining family
kitchen family

hall
hall
hall

We are planning to replace the family room sofa with an IKEA mid-century knockoff(karlstad) as we don't regularly use them and we have 2 BIG dogs that shed white and like to leave muddy footprints EVERYWHERE and the replaceable/washable covers are great for that. Is matching the sofas in the family room to the living room important if we keep with a consistent style guideline versus matching the designer/builder of both sofas?
I feel you.

We bought an open floor plan (updated) mid century split level home...
Our choice in style...
Me contemporary, hubby modern... so going that contemporary modern style...

Combining classic contemporary styles like wassily chairs with modern line sectional sofa from Nicolletti & coffee table from Ligne Roset... white, grey & red (modern) w/ yellow highlights (contemporary).

Will be redoing our kitchen (which is a contemporary style now & also from that mid century era) to a more modern line but still keeping with mid-century contemporary (in accessories... working with a contemporary yellow Mikasa sugar & milk set, may accessorize with that yellow too)...

We collect mid century collectibles like Nelson Clock (desk area w/ WE "west elm" parson's desk... though do question west elm's quality.. love DWR's & Ligne Roset's quality so much better), Wassily chairs (white in our formal living room & black at DH's office), Louis Poulsen PH5 lamp (dining).... totally dig it. Inclusive of the shag rugs look (add texture).

P.S. We have a cat... she is family... needless to say she has her claw marks on our leather sofa... but since it is high quality sofa, touch ups & the wear & tear look actually adds to the worn in look (but not too shabby) to the leather & make the clean lines (that my hubby loves) a bit more welcoming (less cold).
So no... we love our kitty too... and what is a sofa anyways compared to the lives of your loved ones (cats or doggies).

Last edited by hueyeats; 06-10-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
I love MCM design, even most of the 70's stuff. If I were you, I'd go for leather sofas, either something totally clean-lined or classic like Corbusier. Leather is way easier to keep clean than fabric. I have a dog that sheds like crazy so I know what you mean. Or you could go the opposite extreme. A friend of mine actually took his dog's hair and had the his upholstery matched to it!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I love MCM design, even most of the 70's stuff. If I were you, I'd go for leather sofas, either something totally clean-lined or classic like Corbusier. Leather is way easier to keep clean than fabric. I have a dog that sheds like crazy so I know what you mean. Or you could go the opposite extreme. A friend of mine actually took his dog's hair and had the his upholstery matched to it!
We're going with a light grey tweedy looking upholstery for the sofa that we've picked out as both of our dogs are malamutes and have whitish grey fur.

Were in our mid-20's and I'm currently unemployed so spending the $$ on a quality leather sofa with that type of design is not in the budget for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating