Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,190 times

Advertisements

I painted my house in 2006 a rich tan color (Photo below)but want to change the color since I had a new dimesional roof installed. Terra Cotta 30 year (corning)
I was thinking possibly a spanish style brown trim, brown garage doors, and white body to enhance the terra cotta roof. The house has a pretty high roofline, some people think it is a two story but its not. It is about 1,400 square feet.

Any suggestions for the color of my li'l house which is about 25 miles west of the Alamo, heh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I would not paint the body white. If anything, the white garage doors are big clue that white the white becomes the vocal point, not the roof.

You're on the right track painting the garage doors a darker color. It's sad that these snot nosed houses make the garage such a vocal point. I would paint the garage in a color/tone that the doors blend in with the rest of the base of the house. I'd pull tan colors from the brick, instead of red tones, for the garage doors and the main body of the house.

Your front entrance needs to be the vocal point. That's where you want a pop of color that stands out more from the rest of the house.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
Dear Sweethome, I rather like your ideas of colors, but if that roof in the picture is your new roof, pick a brown that will "go with" the color of the roof. You could paint the door red, again a shade that goes with the roof. You don't want the brown or red to MATCH the roof, just have the roof shade as part of the house paint colors.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I would like to see the house and garage door in charcoal gray (pull the gray color out of the brick). The trim in a grayish white, and the front door in a compatible shade of red.
With your terra cotta roof, I fear you will never nail a brown (which seems to me to be the choice folks make when they don't know what to do) that compliments both the brick and the roof successfully.
Also, do not paint the downspouts or the gable vent white...they should disappear, not draw attention to themselves.

It's a darling house. I would also plant red flowers in the bed in front of the brick wing of the house.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I would not paint the body white. If anything, the white garage doors are big clue that white the white becomes the vocal point, not the roof.

You're on the right track painting the garage doors a darker color. It's sad that these snot nosed houses make the garage such a vocal point. I would paint the garage in a color/tone that the doors blend in with the rest of the base of the house. I'd pull tan colors from the brick, instead of red tones, for the garage doors and the main body of the house.

Your front entrance needs to be the vocal point. That's where you want a pop of color that stands out more from the rest of the house.
ugh, I agree !!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
There has been some good advice already offered. The tree nicely frames your entrance and I would play up the entryway by repainting the front door and adding a beautiful plant by the door. When I plugged in "red roof" at houzz, this is what popped up... Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. - traditional - exterior - dc metro - by Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions they all sound good. The roof leans more towards a orange color but of course falling under the red tones. I was thinking a spanish style look would be nice.

like this house.

Image Detail for - http://dailyvoice.squarespace.com/storage/ViaJucar%20crop.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=127 3525122631

Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM

These are exactly the colors I wanted. well maybe the brown garage doors and trim a little softer tone of brown.

Bellvue Residence - mediterranean - exterior - san diego - by Cohn + Associates

or this one.

Image Detail for - http://www.housemagz.com/wp-content/uploads/collection-of-Mediterranean-style-homes-with-plaster-walls.jpg

Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM

The brick is brown and white with some gray and terra cotta tones.

Here is a pic of my fireplace which is the same brick outside.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,347 times
I think pure white highlights and draws too much attention. Also, your house is a palette of muted neutral and warm tones. Much of the house is a blend of medium brick/beige tones. Adding white would be visually jarring. Better off using something in the muted ivory range to harmonize with your existing colors.

I would paint your fascia board/soffit/trim/gutters/garage door a light (not pale) warm ivory-beige shade and do your siding in a shade deeper on the paint strip. Maybe a terracotta (or muted plum) shade for your door.

An extra thought: Deepen the plant bedding on the right side and have it wrap around towards your sidewalk. I'd continue to use stones or better yet, build up the beds 1/2ft - 1ft up with brick or stone edging. Plant something that will add interest, variations in height, and substance to that section and to balance out the house's proportions - the garage doors are taking up too much attention. ....just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating