Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

I'm getting conflicting information about the following from my remodelers and paint stores, so I thought I'd tap into the braintrust here on CD.

We purchased a 1978 home a year ago. Original cabinets were solid plywood, built in place and vanished brown. Same with doors and trim.

At some point, someone painted over ALL the varnish in the home with an oil based primer and paint. Subsequently, water based paint was applied on top of the oil, which peels easily in high touch areas, but otherwise looks fine in 95% of the home. It's luckily all been white on white so the peeling areas are not readily visible except close up.

Question: Is there a durable paint application that can go atop all this without peeling?

2 of my painters said "no way, it will always peel". Another said "yes, with proper sanding and priming, but it wold cost more than it's worth". One paint store also said "no, it will always peel" but another said "if you use a good oil based primer on top of it all, then paint over again with a good oil paint, it will be just fine".

Has anyone actually done what I'm contemplating, and how is it holding up?

I'm getting bids for now cabinets throughout the house but the more I look at these original solid wood cabinets and how well they are put together, the more I think it a shame to tear them out.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I had to refinish some old wooden doors and shutters. I had them sent to a local refinisher. It is almost impossible to do a good job stripping paint yourself on anything major. I'd recommend looking for a reputable refinisher. Those guys can even refinish the cabinets for you at their location w/ oil based stain. Then you'll need someone to put the cabinets back.

In my case, it was not cheap but I did the refinishing myself which may have been false economy LOL...but the woodwork and hardwood was over 100 years old and irreplaceable at any reasonable price. You may spend quite a bit on the cabinets, so do the math. But do not refinish them yourself. It is too dangerous and messy, and better left to the professionals in a shop.

IMO anyway best of luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm getting conflicting information about the following from my remodelers and paint stores, so I thought I'd tap into the braintrust here on CD.

We purchased a 1978 home a year ago. Original cabinets were solid plywood, built in place and vanished brown. Same with doors and trim.

At some point, someone painted over ALL the varnish in the home with an oil based primer and paint. Subsequently, water based paint was applied on top of the oil, which peels easily in high touch areas, but otherwise looks fine in 95% of the home. It's luckily all been white on white so the peeling areas are not readily visible except close up.

Question: Is there a durable paint application that can go atop all this without peeling?

2 of my painters said "no way, it will always peel". Another said "yes, with proper sanding and priming, but it wold cost more than it's worth". One paint store also said "no, it will always peel" but another said "if you use a good oil based primer on top of it all, then paint over again with a good oil paint, it will be just fine".

Has anyone actually done what I'm contemplating, and how is it holding up?

I'm getting bids for now cabinets throughout the house but the more I look at these original solid wood cabinets and how well they are put together, the more I think it a shame to tear them out.

Steve
They are all right. No there is nothing available to purchase that you can paint over that old junk. The old varnish they used is a very very poor base to begin with. And yes to strip it all down would cost double what brand new cabinets would cost.

And being from Texas I know your cabinets. They are really not cabinets, they are not custom cabinets as they are often incorrectly called in Texas, but just painted wooden boxes, homemade junk. Now before you attack me for offending you....don't. It's the Texas culture to make that trash (job built or site built they call it here) with junk plywood, the doors are nothing but a slab of ply with picture frame molding around it. They even use strips of plywood for the face frame and all the end grain is exposed. Huh? Despicable. Puts a black eye on our industry.

I have written so very many times how to buy cabinets here. First thing people do is think "BIG ORANGE" and all the big orange does is rapes you of your little green. They charge full list price or MSRP. You would not pay sticker price for a new car, why pay it for cabinets? Instead go to the small kitchen dealers who most all discount about 50% from list price. Plus they employ certified Kitchen Designers. The big box stores DO NOT. They are merely cabinet salespeople who's only home improvement experience is hanging a curtain rod for Grandma.

Just go new. Just stay away from all the bells and whistles and you will find that cabinets are not that expensive. And for you and your families sake, DO NOT buy that formaldehyde and sulfur infested cheap China made junk cabinets. Yes I know you can buy a whole all cherry wood kitchen for $895 but your family will develop asthma at best or cancer at worse. And there are several documented cases of death due to Chinese cabinet exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating