Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,860 times

Advertisements

Hi All

We have a builder installed slider door. It's pretty plain around the perimeter -- no trim and feels a bit naked. I'd like to dress it up with some trim, something similar perhaps to the floor molding. There's a small lip that sticks out from the wall all the way around, but I'm not positive the lip always sticks out to the same degree all around the edge. How easy is it to put trim around something like this? I have no experience with this type of project, so I have doubts this is a DIY. One side of the slider is flush with the kitchen counter/wall, so yes on one side the trim would stop halfway down the wall and terminate at counter, but that is fine.

We'll probably put something like silhouette blinds on this slider (see attached pic) and I like the look of the trim in the photo as well.

Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding trim to a slider-2.jpg   Adding trim to a slider-photo.jpg   Adding trim to a slider-3.jpg   Adding trim to a slider-silhouette_opened_20_1_.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
You would generally trim out a slider the same way any other entry doors or windows are trimmed.
So, if the windows have casing around them, use the same casing for the slider.

The most common casing is "356" (approx, 2-1/4" wide). The casing that is in the 4th picture is "371" (approx, 3" wide).

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,860 times
Thanks for your input. Yes, none of the windows in the house had trim or sills. We had plantation shutters installed on all the windows using a Z-mount, and that gave them a nice trim (casing). I agree with your thoughts about matching the casing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating