Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:03 PM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are serious about purchasing an older home in our area. It has an oak staircase that is rather grand and a stained glass window at the landing of the divided stair case. When I say "divided", I mean one side of the stair case leads to the foyer, and the other side leads to the kitchen.

The house looks like a four square except that it does not have a hip roof. It has a roof that looks more like a barn - or a Dutch colonial. It does have a rather typical four square floor plan on the first floor. I am thinking that it might be a Late Victorian or early foursquare.

Inside the home there is lots of woodwork, oak and many craftsman touches. There are cofferd ceilings in the dining room.

The walls are all covered with a very old looking raised pattern wall covering, that can be painted. There is wainscoting through out the house, or a chair rail. The top part of the wall, has this covering. The design is laurels, leaves or other classical motifs.

What is this stuff called? Is it original to the home? It is textured and it feels kind of like plastic. Has anyone ever seen this?
I am not sure of the age of the home. I would say at least 100 years because that is typical for homes in this neighborhood. There is also an ice porch with an intact ice box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,891,326 times
Sounds as though it might be anaglypta, but without pix, I cant say for sure.
http://divinerooms.com/ploggerb3/thu...anaglypta2.jpg

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM

BINGO! That's it! Is this a bad thing or a good thing? Can you tell me anything more about it?

If I want to restore the house would we want to keep this?
I don't hate it - I am "anaglypta neutral" - if it is historically accurate, I will keep it.

Thank you so much for your swift answer! I WOULD give you rep but I just did about that beautiful house is St Louis!

I will also attempt to upload some photos. Not good at this. Perhaps when one of my teens come home.

I am also interested in learning more about the exact style of the house.
Thanks so much,Kshe95girl.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
BINGO! That's it! Is this a bad thing or a good thing? Can you tell me anything more about it?

If I want to restore the house would we want to keep this?
I don't hate it - I am "anaglypta neutral" - if it is historically accurate, I will keep it.

Thank you so much for your swift answer! I WOULD give you rep but I just did about that beautiful house is St Louis!

I will also attempt to upload some photos. Not good at this. Perhaps when one of my teens come home.

I am also interested in learning more about the exact style of the house.
Thanks so much,Kshe95girl.
So glad I could help!
I would daresay the anaglypta is historically accurate to the house, it was used as an alternative to real plasterwork, its actually really cool stuff, I have used it myself.
I look forward to seeing the pix, then I can give you a more accurate opinion.
Here are some links to read about anaglypta and its cousin, lincrusta;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglypta

http://www.wallpapersplus.com/anagly...a_history.html

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...wallpapers.htm

Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM

I will have more pictures of the home tomorrow.
Attempting to upload the pictures now.

WARNING! This house needs work! The owners are elderly and the wife is a doll collector and 1980s style crafter.

More to come.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I will have more pictures of the home tomorrow.
Attempting to upload the pictures now.

WARNING! This house needs work! The owners are elderly and the wife is a doll collector and 1980s style crafter.

More to come.
I am sure I have seen much worse in my career!
Cant wait to see the pics!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM

I have been unable to download my pics, however I have been able to put them in my album and you can look at them there. The picture of the rear porch has an ice box and maybe you can date the house that way.
I know the house needs work with the hideous aluminum siding, aluminum windows and the pillars in front that were replaced with brick.
Please excuse the owners mess in the house. But you said that you've seen messes before, just be honest and tell me if you've seen a house worse than this?
I am thanking you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 AM

Sorry the album is available in my public profile.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM

The house looks is a take on Dutch Colonial because of the roof line.
dutch colonial - Google Search
Here are some great examples.
Cant tell if the porch is original, that brick isnt for sure!
I am gonna guestimate the house to the 1880s-1900, based on looking at the woodwork in the house.
The anaglypta in the upstairs hall is not original, neither are those strip things between the panels, although I do believe the chair rail is.
Its not hard to remove, and anaglypta would look great, but the stuff thats in there has been painted over so many times it has lost its depth, you know?
Love the dining room, but the anaglypta in there is hideous!
I have see much worse than this house, trust me!
All in all, it has the potential to be amazing, it looks as though its in pretty good shape, and later alterations can be pretty easily set to rights.
Do you mind if I ask the general area where the home is?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,050,180 times
Quote:
Sorry the album is available in my public profile.
I wish you were closer, I'd buy that avocado dryer from you.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating