Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times

Advertisements

My kitchen is a muted green with canvas white trim. I need to replace the countertops. Appliances and sink are black and the faucet is a brushed nickel.

Thoughts? I'm seeing a lot of white countertops and really don't like that look. Was hoping for black or charcoal grey but I'm not sure if it would look ok. I saw a very dark brown - like a wood - that looked ok. Any other ideas? White seems to be the most common when I do web searches. Is it something that grows on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Why do need to replace the counters? Wear?Damage?

What is your budget? Material preference?

You sure you want to re-use the sink and faucet?

Cabinets are painted, huh?

I like natural materials and there are quite a bit of granites that have nice greens with dark charcoals / blacks / browns. Synthetic materials in those color ranges are VERY hard to do -- they often look very "fakey", like a bowling ball from the 50s...

Actual wood of a high quality dark material may also be an option, but costs and function might an issue...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
In one of my houses it had white counters. My son spilled some red kool-aid. It stained it. Eventually I got it off the counters but it was some serious work. Never liked white counters and that incident sealed the deal. So, ya..I'm not a fan either.

Provide some pics.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
A little reminder: Don't put blue granite at the top of your list. Blue granite is generally very expensive compared to most other colors.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I helped a friend with the colors in her new kitchen and this is similar to the combination we used. I love the dark counters with the green, stainless and white.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think charcoal grey would look great!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
OP, we need to see the kitchen in order to help!
Also, some idea of budget would help......

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Why do need to replace the counters? Wear?Damage?

What is your budget? Material preference?

You sure you want to re-use the sink and faucet?

Cabinets are painted, huh?

I like natural materials and there are quite a bit of granites that have nice greens with dark charcoals / blacks / browns. Synthetic materials in those color ranges are VERY hard to do -- they often look very "fakey", like a bowling ball from the 50s...

Actual wood of a high quality dark material may also be an option, but costs and function might an issue...
Counters are very old tan formica that's badly damaged. We're putting in new cabinets, a bar and a pantry so the layout is being changed anyway. The sink is new, the faucet is about a week old. Yes, cabinets are original to the house - about 85 years old and painted.

I'd love granite too, but I'd planned on granite tiles - budget and the area don't make putting in granite slab worth it - but was told to just go with formica if we couldn't do granite slab. So we're looking at formica or other cheaper products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
In one of my houses it had white counters. My son spilled some red kool-aid. It stained it. Eventually I got it off the counters but it was some serious work. Never liked white counters and that incident sealed the deal. So, ya..I'm not a fan either.

Provide some pics.
That was my concern as well as it showing every single thing that's on it.

I'll attach a part of a picture. I don't have any on this computer and this is the one I had to pull off Facebook. The cabinet doors on the upper cabinets have been removed and will be trimmed with a rope twist trim in the same canvas color.

All I need is an idea for the countertop color to match with the muted green and canvas white.
Attached Thumbnails
Countertop color advice-kitchen.jpg  

Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
Are you married to that green/grey color on the walls/cabinets? Since you are basically doing a remodel, you should pick a new wall color to match your cabinets/counters. I wouldn't do it the other way around. Paint is cheap, and you can find a similar color that is tweaked to be just a bit warmer/cooler and go with whatever combination of fixtures you decided on.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Are you married to that green/grey color on the walls/cabinets? Since you are basically doing a remodel, you should pick a new wall color to match your cabinets/counters. I wouldn't do it the other way around. Paint is cheap, and you can find a similar color that is tweaked to be just a bit warmer/cooler and go with whatever combination of fixtures you decided on.
Something along the lines of what Catt posted as far as the green.......I am reading very gray on my monitor, no green at all in the pic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating