Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times

Advertisements

Choose a fabric that you can wipe down if dust is a concern. If not, use a lint roller brush on any fabric to remove dust or pet hair. As far as fading goes, get better UV rated glass in your windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend! A padded headboard will help buffer the cold of the outside wall. Brrrrrr.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
I made one too. I found an old horribly beat up headboard at a thrift store for $15 or so. It was good structurally, but the finish was really bad. DH helped me modify it by adding pieces into the pierced spaces and by sawing off the parts that stuck up. (It was Italian style from the 1960s I am sure.)

I didn't have a sewing machine then or even a decent pair of scissors. But I bought foam, batting and used a glue gun and nails. It turned out fine.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,838 times
If you want to get fancy, you can add matching or contrasting tufted buttons. It's easy to do.

Here's a video of someone doing button tufting on the top of a bench. (It's the same principle.)

Last edited by CheyDee; 01-30-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,997 times
I found a faux-leather tufted headboard at Garden Ridge a couple of years ago. I was only $100 for the king size, attaches to the frame and we really like it (leaning against it as I type, LOL!).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,049 times
Oh I'm so grateful I found this thread. I love upholstered headboards too and have been considering one. The only problem I foresaw, which is what kept me from purchasing one, is the possibility of dust mites/bed bugs getting into the stuffing and then leaping out onto my head - eeeek. I have to keep all my pillows and mattress covered in a allergy/dust mite casing or I"ll itch all night. But if I get one or make one that is covered in leather than I don't have to worry about it. Excellent!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
I've had one for years. On mine, the cover is easily removed and can be washed. I do this every few months. I'm going to change the colors in the bedroom and will just have a seamstress make me a new cover that can be removed and washed as needed.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Yes, you can definitely do it yourself, there are so many DIY tutorials for headboards, some really really amazing headboards for beds. If you do not have a desire to diy (thought it would give your a great satisfaction in the end), you can always reupholster and old one or buy a new one.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
I made an upholstered headboard from an old worn out bed several years ago. I think the headboard cost $25. I had DH make a few improvements in it; for instance we took off knobs on the both corners. Then I wrapped the headboard with foam. Then batting. And then I covered the padded board with upholstery material run top to bottom. I had no sewing machine or even any decent scissors, but I attached the panels of material by folding the selvedge edges together and pulled everything taut.

I stapled it all around. I covered the back with felt, glued to the backing and covered the raw edges at the bottoms with cotton cord glued down. It actually looks good. But you know, it has faded, and I am thinking of redoing the board by covering the front with another fabric.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I made my own - and it was so easy!

I found an ugly old rattan headboard at a resale shop for $60 (too much to pay for this piece of junk but I liked the shape):

I finished the wood in a crackle finish ($12):

I upholstered it in a FABULOUS fabric remnant I found at a local fabric store - this fabric was originally $75 a yard but I got two yards for about $30:

This was very easy to do - I just bought some cotton batting (about $8) and laid it over the rattan. I tacked it down with some little nails. Then I laid the fabric over the frame and just cut it freehand to shape. Then I tacked it down with upholstery nails into the frame ($25 for a box). That was it! Total cost - $135.

Here it is in the room:

It only took me about one hour (if that long) to paint it (all you do is spray on the undercoat and then when it dries, spray on the crackle finish and it crackles by itself). Then less than two hours to upholster it. You could also use a staple gun to attach the fabric, and then hot glue trim around the edges to cover the staples.

I just have the headboard leaning against the wall behind the bed. It works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating