Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times

Advertisements

Hello

Here in California, we have to have a certain amount of CFL bulbs in proportion to incandescent. We have 6 can (recess) lights in the kitchen which work for task lighting, but the color of the CF bulbs is pretty white & stark. Is there a brand that manufacturers a warmer CF bulb -- know of one you've been happy with? Maybe something with instant on (no warm up), too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM

61,641 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You need to look for the "soft white" bulbs

Amazon.com: TCP 14-Watt Soft White Compact Fluorescent Flood Light Bulb (6 Pack): Explore similar items
http://www.greenlightingsupply.com/C.../r316swdim.htm

Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Even "soft white" or "warm" CFL bulbs have poor color rendering index, suffer from flicker, don't dim well and in general are less than ideal

The LED bulbs that are available now generally are superior. They come to full brightness instantly, have excellent color rendering index, are available in a wide range of color temperatures, dim well and mostly flicker free. The Toshiba and Phillips brands work well for me. The lumens per watt are as good or better than CFL. The downside is cost -- plan on spending about $30-$40 per par30 recessed fixture. The light density for the screw-in bulbs is a little lower than for incandescent recessed bulbs too. If you were in a remodel situation I could recommend the integrated fixtures from WAC, they run about $220 apiece. For every four incandescent fixtures I would go with five of the WAC units. It gets expensive upfront, though with bulb life of 50000 hrs, nearly no radiated heat and lower energy consumption the payback is reasonable...

Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 AM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Hello

Here in California, we have to have a certain amount of CFL bulbs in proportion to incandescent.
LOL ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I moved away from Southern California 5 years ago, and I'm glad I did. I thought it was a nanny state then, but wow..

Check out the LED bulbs. I hate CFLs and won't use them in my house, but I've been trying out a few of the LED bulbs and generally like them as an alternative, even though they're ridiculously expensive, in my opinion.

I still use incandescents for the most part, though.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Even "soft white" or "warm" CFL bulbs have poor color rendering index, suffer from flicker, don't dim well and in general are less than ideal

The LED bulbs that are available now generally are superior. They come to full brightness instantly, have excellent color rendering index, are available in a wide range of color temperatures, dim well and mostly flicker free. The Toshiba and Phillips brands work well for me. The lumens per watt are as good or better than CFL. The downside is cost -- plan on spending about $30-$40 per par30 recessed fixture. The light density for the screw-in bulbs is a little lower than for incandescent recessed bulbs too. If you were in a remodel situation I could recommend the integrated fixtures from WAC, they run about $220 apiece. For every four incandescent fixtures I would go with five of the WAC units. It gets expensive upfront, though with bulb life of 50000 hrs, nearly no radiated heat and lower energy consumption the payback is reasonable...
Yep, yep, yep... LED's are great. But don't cheap out on them. The cheap ones are not going to last as long. Also, make sure to read very carefully information about LED ventilation or heat sync requirements. The life of an LED bulb is greatly reduced if not properly cooled. Most people think that because they are not a "hot" bulb, like incandescent, that they are not subject to heat issues. But they are hundreds of times more affected by small amounts of heat.

Another suggestion I'm going to make is that you use the same bulbs in all your lighting at the same level in the room...e.g. put the same bulbs in all your ceiling cans so that you get a consistent color temp in the room. If you have in cabinet or under cab lighting ... or edge lighting... then the bulbs in those other spaces can be a different color temperature, but should also be consistent among themselves.

Or if you aren't picky about color temp consistency--ignore all of this advice. Understanding color temperature is sort of like being a foodie or an audiophile. Some people can really tell the difference and others could care less.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
The local Home Depot has a display with the different shades and their examples. It worked for me-well not the 1st time, I still went a bit too bright just because I was in the store. Got home and realized I needed the next level. Their ranking goes like, day light, bright light etc.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Hello

Here in California, we have to have a certain amount of CFL bulbs in proportion to incandescent. We have 6 can (recess) lights in the kitchen which work for task lighting, but the color of the CF bulbs is pretty white & stark. Is there a brand that manufacturers a warmer CF bulb -- know of one you've been happy with? Maybe something with instant on (no warm up), too?
Are there lightbulb police who come in your house and check?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:58 AM

61,641 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are there lightbulb police who come in your house and check?

I was wondering about the same thing! How the heck are they going to check your "lightbulb ratio"...

Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
What concerns me? The warning on the CFL bulbs that say they are a fire hazard if they are used in enclosed fixtures.

I even e-mailed Sylvania and asked about it.....they just reiterated their warning and offered me a $10 coupon.

So....does this mean I will need to put table lamps on my bathroom and kitchen sinks when I can no longer buy the safe incandescents?

Glad I have been hoarding the incandescents.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times
Thanks, all!

Yes, California is stringent with this. Look up Title 24. No, they won't come into an established home. But ours was new construction, so an inspector comes in to make sure things are up to code. I'm told that for those building their own home, they will put in some throw away fixtures to meet code, then ripp them out and put in what they want after inspection. Nutty huh?

Anyhow, we have 6 can lights on the kitchen ceiling. They are CFL push in type bulbs (not screw in). If the fixtures were CFL screw in type, I could just switch out the bulbs to screw in incandescent. If I wanted to change the bulbs for LED (so that I can dim them), I guess I would have to replace all 6 can fixtures with an LED fixture, correct? Or are there push in type LED bulbs that would work with these fixtures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating