Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Keep your beat up stuff for another year or two, and save up for some good stuff. Teach your kids to be safe with furniture; I doubt you can keep them from climbing on the chairs and sofas, but if you put a rug down, the furniture would not slide as much. Teaching your kids good behavior begins now, actually. But I do remember my kids pulling the sofa cushions out on the floor, and jumping over the backs of my sofa. So I relate. But I don't think sitting on the floor is the answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 01:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Hello! They just learned how to walk. It will be another year before they can be disciplined. I didn't ask for a critique of parenting. You're just going to have to trust me that I know what I'm doing there. The reason they can push the furniture so easily is because we have wood floors. If you really know how to control a 15 month old, good for you. They are simply too young to know what they are doing. I'm looking for info and ideas on minimalist living.
Get a big rug.

I had four kids under age 6 at one time in my life. We had hardwood floors. None of my kids ever regularly pushed furniture around on the floors though, so I don't know why on earth yours are doing this to the extent that you cannot control it. I mean, I understand a kid occasionally pushing something but so much that you're considering chunking all your furniture?

I always had area rugs though, and it's not so easy for a kid to push a piece of furniture around the living room if there's a rug down.

You're talking about getting a rug anyway - get one. And I think you're fine switching to some seating on the floor. But ZERO furniture???? No tables, no sofa, no lamps, nothing? Are you sure about that? That seems extreme. If your kids are so determined to push large pieces of furniture around so incessantly that you're considering getting rid of all of it, I think your biggest problems aren't the furniture.

Could it be possible that you're just sick of your furniture and want to chuck it all (something I can understand!) and using this furniture pushing thing to validate just getting rid of it all? Or are you really serious about living with no tables, no chairs, no sofa, no ottoman, no lamps - honestly that starkly?

Old 11-21-2015, 01:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
What furniture are they pushing around? We have hardwood floors in the family room and my husband's beloved leather recliner slides like a sled on ice. I got those grippy chair pads. They are self adhesive and stick to the bottom of the furniture. You can get them at Lowe's and Walmart. A pack is around a buck or two. I couldn't live without furniture. I think the idea of doing so would get old real quick.
This - we also had to get some of those because the back of my husband's recliner sits off the rug, and it was sliding on the hardwood floor. This stuff stopped it IMMEDIATELY and apparently lasts a long time because we haven't had to replace them and they've been on the legs of the recliner for months now. That thing doesn't budge.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
I'm not reading any responses...but I like your ideas of pillows or beanbags for the kids, and a nice cushy recliner for your husband. No idea how to keep the kids off the recliner.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Just a thought about the little ones. This may be helpful. I know this is not the parenting forum. My son went through that pushing phase, and what he LOVED was pushing and scooting on a ride on toy. That was his mode of transport for a long time lol. I bet if the kids saw one of those smaller ride ons they would prefer that to the furniture .

Much success to you .

Old 11-22-2015, 01:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Okay don't laugh at me like my husband did, but, I'm ready to chuck all our ugly, worn living room furniture and just buy a gorgeous large rug and a bunch of nice pillows and stuff and live on the floor. We have small children who are too young to obey limits but are old enough to get into trouble. They are lately pushing the furniture all around (hardwood floors) and climbing up on everything and it's driving me nuts. Plus we can't buy new furniture right now as 1) we can't afford it and 2) they would destroy it anyway. I have in mind something like from a Middle Eastern or Indian home but I can't find any pictures online and I need some ideas. If we did get furniture, I would want some low-to-the-ground and very small stuff as we live in a small space. Hubbie feels he is too old and achey to sit on the floor so I guess we would need something a little bit off the ground for him. Any ideas?
At this point you need teach your children bounders, so when you take em someplace they don't go ape! Really` ... What worked for me is teaching the kids not picked up things by pointing and saying look , look they understood this meant I can look but not handle, yes they do this while out and about in public in other folks homes! ...

Old 11-25-2015, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,452 times
I have 8 grandchildren so I can relate. Keep the old upholstered furniture a while longer. Then buy good furniture with all of the protective add-ons. My son had to remove his kitchen and dining chairs because his kids were doing the same thing. Then they opened the oven door to climb on the counter. 😳. Hang in there. Get some really good gates too. It will get better.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 780 times
You can other home decor products for decoration of your living room such as wall decals or wall stickers, wall shelf, bookshelf and other home accessories. I get some interesting wall stickers on Afydecor, is a one of the leading online furniture and home decor shopping websites in India. I hope this idea will work for you.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:03 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Okay don't laugh at me like my husband did, but, I'm ready to chuck all our ugly, worn living room furniture and just buy a gorgeous large rug and a bunch of nice pillows and stuff and live on the floor. We have small children who are too young to obey limits but are old enough to get into trouble. They are lately pushing the furniture all around (hardwood floors) and climbing up on everything and it's driving me nuts. Plus we can't buy new furniture right now as 1) we can't afford it and 2) they would destroy it anyway. I have in mind something like from a Middle Eastern or Indian home but I can't find any pictures online and I need some ideas. If we did get furniture, I would want some low-to-the-ground and very small stuff as we live in a small space. Hubbie feels he is too old and achey to sit on the floor so I guess we would need something a little bit off the ground for him. Any ideas?
The reason you cannot find pictures online of what you want is because no one in their right mind would remove the furniture from their suburban house and sit on the floor.

Enjoy inconveniencing guests who come to your home and are unable or unwilling to sit on the floor. Anyone with bad knees or bad hips or bad backs will be miserable.

If you are worried about the furniture scratching your hardwood floors, put sliders under the feet of your furniture to avoid scratching.

Lastly, I don't care how old your kids are - every moment can be a teachable moment and the only way they'll stop climbing and pushing around the furniture is if you teach them not to. If they are old enough to cause trouble, they are old enough to obey learned limits. Even if they are too young to understand your words. If they push around the furniture, tell them no, and put them in time out. EVERY.TIME. They'll eventually realize that pushing the furniture equals sitting on the steps for 2-3 minutes (adjust time for their age - we usually did the number of minutes equal to their age) and stop doing it.

Keep your beat up furniture, by sliders for the furniture legs, teach your children to stop their misbehavior, and start saving a few bucks a week for the day in a couple years when you can get new furniture.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 AM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
The person you quoted hasn't been around in four years.
I bet she handled this already....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating