Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Spalling on horizontal surfaces is caused by too much water in the mix preventing the formation of the crystal matrix that makes concrete strong.

On vertical surfaces, water migrates through tiny cracks and leeches out soluble material from the vertical wall.

Porous peebles in concrete absorb water and explode. As I said above, one can choose an aggregate that is porous with which to make concrete. or not. I'd recommend not.
I agree about a cause of spalling being too much water in the mix, but that's not really what I was getting at.

Assuming that we're still talking about the porosity of concrete, portland cement (as an example of no aggragate) still has measurable permeability. There can be no permeability without porosity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I agree about a cause of spalling being too much water in the mix, but that's not really what I was getting at.

Assuming that we're still talking about the porosity of concrete, portland cement (as an example of no aggragate) still has measurable permeability. There can be no permeability without porosity.
Granite is porous too. It is sealed just like concrete. And once sealed, the argument becomes theoretical.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Granite is porous too. It is sealed just like concrete. And once sealed, the argument becomes theoretical.
I'm with you there. If you put a flame spreader over a concrete countertop to get it nice and hot and then rub some beeswax over it, the wax gets drawn into the concrete thereby making the argument theoretical.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I really hate to get all "science teacher", but folks might look up this thread.

There are three basic classes of stone. Sedimentary rock, like sandstone & limestone, which is useless for kitchen countertops, has porosity of 35-31% at the high end . Metamorphic rock, like marble and quartzite, which has been formed when sedimentary rock like limestone or sandstone are subjected geologic pressure / heat causing recrystallization. Porosity is about 3.9%-2% Finally igneous rocks are formed under high pressure and heat -- that is why granite typically has porosity of less than 1.5%, often around 0.2%. That tremendous heat and pressure cooks out other minerals.

Best case scenario, a high quality Portland cement (roasted limestone & clay mixed with gypsum) might approach the porosity of limestone, but pure cement will shrink and fracture as it cures. If you dump in a ton hydrated lime it'll be more fragile than plaster. Instead an aggregate is added. If the aggregate chosen is non-porous, and added in sufficient quanities to be evenly distributed but no so much as weaken the recrystalized of the calcium you MIGHT get something about on par with marble.

These are not theoretical problems. Look up the info from any geology site or even the Cheng info sources -- if you don't mind / like the "patina of use" (also known less politely as "staining") then go ahead an use concrete as a countertop. It'll be more susceptible to damage than any true granite, and probably in the range of some quartzites / marbles.

No one should EVER directly heat any concrete, marble, quartzite or even granite. Thermal shock can fracture he surface and potentially cause surprisingly large fragments to stress shatter in a VERY dangerous way...

Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I really hate to get all "science teacher", but folks might look up this thread.

There are three basic classes of stone. Sedimentary rock, like sandstone & limestone, which is useless for kitchen countertops, has porosity of 35-31% at the high end . Metamorphic rock, like marble and quartzite, which has been formed when sedimentary rock like limestone or sandstone are subjected geologic pressure / heat causing recrystallization. Porosity is about 3.9%-2% Finally igneous rocks are formed under high pressure and heat -- that is why granite typically has porosity of less than 1.5%, often around 0.2%. That tremendous heat and pressure cooks out other minerals.

Best case scenario, a high quality Portland cement (roasted limestone & clay mixed with gypsum) might approach the porosity of limestone, but pure cement will shrink and fracture as it cures. If you dump in a ton hydrated lime it'll be more fragile than plaster. Instead an aggregate is added. If the aggregate chosen is non-porous, and added in sufficient quanities to be evenly distributed but no so much as weaken the recrystalized of the calcium you MIGHT get something about on par with marble.

These are not theoretical problems. Look up the info from any geology site or even the Cheng info sources -- if you don't mind / like the "patina of use" (also known less politely as "staining") then go ahead an use concrete as a countertop. It'll be more susceptible to damage than any true granite, and probably in the range of some quartzites / marbles.

No one should EVER directly heat any concrete, marble, quartzite or even granite. Thermal shock can fracture he surface and potentially cause surprisingly large fragments to stress shatter in a VERY dangerous way...
I may have seen a recently poured frontage road (at the time) violently spall when some high school friends built a bonfire on it in Fort Bend County, but I don't remember any names...

But, when I say good and hot I don't mean "scorch your hand" hot. Maybe 120 degrees. With a 1.75" slab of countertop I don't think that's very dangerous, but - sure, use a penetrating sealer.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
You guys are cracking me up. Seems you are all right in your scientific answers. In the end, no one cares about moisture inside a cement top. The consumer don't give a damn really. Their only concern is how that new counter top looks.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,348 times
Quote:
I've seen marble chips, computer circuit boards, nails and screws, nuts and bolts, sea shells and broken bottle glass.
Yes! One of my contractors was telling me about the cement countertop he & his dad did for his mom as a gift - their time together and how they included some heirloom glassware & pebbles from vacations, I almost bawled on the spot

Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Yes! One of my contractors was telling me about the cement countertop he & his dad did for his mom as a gift - their time together and how they included some heirloom glassware & pebbles from vacations, I almost bawled on the spot
Cement is an ingredient- used in the making of concrete (or mortar)- they aren't interchangeable, just sayin'.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
I was going to go with concrete counter tops 10 years ago but did not. If I was to replace the tops today I would go with stainless steel tops.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,087 times
This is what I want....

FIRESLATE-2 : OLD TECHNOLOGY : A NEW DIMENSION

Some fresh thinking, hot new cutting and finishing technology - and the trusted old friend of chemistry laboratory tops and wood stoves becomes a design material for the 21st Century. We characterize this new dimension of FIRESLATE as "rugged elegance," and have made it available now as counter, table and desk top material, custom flooring and shelving, in addition to its well known role as hearth and stoveboard. FIRESLATE can be ordered in countless configurations - shapes, edge treatments, finishes, cutouts - so you can tailor it to your tastes and needs.

What is FIRESLATE? Consisting solely of Portland cement, silica sand, water, and fillers, formed under 400 tons of pressure, steam- and air-cured, FIRESLATE is a man-made material. Like slate and other natural stone, FIRESLATE is dark, rich, and has a solid depth of character. But unlike slate and other natural stone, it has no veins or strata to delaminate. It handles heat and weighs 40 percent less than natural stone. Even with its natural ingredients and stone-like beauty, FIRESLATE costs less than the plastic design materials on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating