Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

Advertisements

If you like it and the price is right who cares? So your helping to raise some poor rural Chinese out of poverty with your purchase, that's the kind of karma you want. I'm sure Joe union worker will understand, he probably has the same chair in his own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
If you like it and the price is right who cares? So your helping to raise some poor rural Chinese out of poverty with your purchase, that's the kind of karma you want. I'm sure Joe union worker will understand, he probably has the same chair in his own home.
The difference and the reason I care is that even the "High-End" furniture from China has proven in my experience to not hold up the same way as the high-end, handmade stuff here. Thomasville perennially had a good reputation in years past but recently their reputation has taken a big hit due to the quality at their price-point. It's not a coincidence that this drop in quality and drop in customer satisfaction matches up with the time-frame where they have started shifting more production overseas. Now, with some of these brands you still get the high-end style but with the shifting production it comes without the high-end quality to back it up, yet prices have not fallen at all. It's nothing but greed from companies who don't care about maintaining quality anymore but just care about increasing profit margin even at the loss of respect for a brand name.

With that being said, there are still LOTS of furniture companies that hand-make the majority of their pieces in the USA. And, if you don't find something from one of these manufacturers, there are still lots of avenues to get pieces custom made based on an item you like from a certain manufacturer who only makes a piece in China. Given all the options for quality furniture in the US, I just can't see any reason to purchase low-quality pieces while simultaneously supporting China.

When we redid our living room, we went with nothing but smaller companies providing Made in the USA pieces, often for cheaper than brands like Thomasville who are using Chinese labor with huge mark-ups.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
No.

We bought "high-end" furniture from Ashley.

The thousands of dollars for a dining set, turned the table over and it was made in Malaysia.
The armchairs cracked off bcs they weren't inset properly.

Complete waste.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
A few weekends ago on my trip back to my MIL, I visited one of my favourite furniture store "Penn Furniture"... they have a floors upon floors dedicated to Thomasville, Stanley, Henredon, Century, Stickley, Bernhardt etc...

while most the sales rep told me are made in USA or even crafted by local artisan & featured there (like that buried ash/walnut piece I might be interested in)... there is a chance certain pieces may be made in China (like Stanley, Thomasville, Henredon...) ????

Just to hear some honest opinion...

would you or would you not drop $5000 and up for a high end piece of furniture that is "Made in China"??? Even if you really really "fell in love" with that piece???

Why???
Depends on if it looks like it is worth 5,000 or not. A lot of highly priced furniture is just bland, looks like it might cost $200 a piece. If it is real wood (cherry or mahogany) and has lots of fine detail sure why not? I paid big prices for my furniture by A.R.T. furniture and it was shipped in from overseas somewhere. Even if it says it's made in the USA that is not always true. Most furniture I was told is made overseas. When they ship it in by boat, they wait to get in US waters and then put it together on the ship and slap a made in the USA sticker on it.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Depends on if it looks like it is worth 5,000 or not. A lot of highly priced furniture is just bland, looks like it might cost $200 a piece. If it is real wood (cherry or mahogany) and has lots of fine detail sure why not? I paid big prices for my furniture by A.R.T. furniture and it was shipped in from overseas somewhere. Even if it says it's made in the USA that is not always true. Most furniture I was told is made overseas. When they ship it in by boat, they wait to get in US waters and then put it together on the ship and slap a made in the USA sticker on it.
Sounds like some shady companies. The companies that I was referring to really do make it all in the USA though. Some of them you can even visit the factory while they make your specific piece.

It doesn't just depend on whether it is real wood or not either. The construction methods of it are what is important. You can still make some pretty terrible furniture using real wood.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No.

The thousands of dollars for a dining set, turned the table over and it was made in Malaysia.

Complete waste.
Honestly I did not know Ashley made anything EVEN CLOSE to high end.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No.

Complete waste.

I'm not sure Ashley furniture is high end, shoot most of it isn't even real wood it's resin, and the wood they do have is what I fall fake wood. They don't have cherry, mahogany or so on. Truthfully it's overpriced junk....no disrespect to you or what you bought but that is what I found when I looked at it once. I was curious about 1 bedroom set they had and I believe it was called the serpentine. I went in to inquire about a bench to it, because I was looking for something for a makeup table I had. When I found out it was resin I walked out and haven't been back. They wanted as much for that plastic garbage as I paid for my real cherry wood and mahogany bedroom suite.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Sounds like some shady companies. The companies that I was referring to really do make it all in the USA though. Some of them you can even visit the factory while they make your specific piece.

It doesn't just depend on whether it is real wood or not either. The construction methods of it are what is important. You can still make some pretty terrible furniture using real wood.
Well that is true, I've seen some pretty overpriced furniture that looked like something you would buy at value city or big lots. I guess I'm more into the fact that if it is real wood, and finely detailed I could really care less where it was made, just so long as the furniture in my opinion matches the price tag. If it's beautiful and they want 4,000 for it...why not? If it's plain and looks like junk yet they want 4,000 for it, heck no I will not pay it. In my house it has to look like it belongs in a mansion to be in my home, or it don't come in the door. I guess I care more about how it looks then where it was made.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well that is true, I've seen some pretty overpriced furniture that looked like something you would buy at value city or big lots. I guess I'm more into the fact that if it is real wood, and finely detailed I could really care less where it was made, just so long as the furniture in my opinion matches the price tag. If it's beautiful and they want 4,000 for it...why not? If it's plain and looks like junk yet they want 4,000 for it, heck no I will not pay it. In my house it has to look like it belongs in a mansion to be in my home, or it don't come in the door. I guess I care more about how it looks then where it was made.
I care about how it looks as well. If it doesn't look good I obviously don't care that it was handmade in the US because I'm still not going to buy it. I want it to be functional, stylish, AND well-made. I didn't mean to imply that the only thing to consider was the quality of construction or that it was "expensive" I just meant it has to tick all the boxes. Too many people see something that LOOKS nice but isn't well made (regardless of price) and want to go with that piece because it is a lot cheaper than the nicer piece that looks nice AND is well-made.

I think it also depends on what your style is. I'm not much into something that looks like it would be in a mansion and am more into modern, slightly more minimalist with clean lines as opposed to a lot of ornate detail. I actually like the cleaner more mid-century style I appreciate being able to look very well designed without lots of ornateness. Just different styles.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,478 times
yes,it is so great, i like this..thank you share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating