Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 41,507 times

Advertisements

Hey
We have a place in the SW of France and I am trying to get it looking nice and am just starting on the room decor. We have painted the walls, put in a new floor and bought furniture. Now I am really hating it! I can't change the walls completely as my husband would kill me (understandably) or change the furniture much (could paint the coffee table?!). We bought a solid color rug and now I think this might be too much.....what can I do to help break up the blocks of color? Is the rug terrible? I could perhaps use it in our bedroom but then would it just be another problem in that room???

I was thinking of putting a chair rail up and faux paneling to break up the walls. Then maybe some bolder print drapes and to echo that in the cushions etc?

Of course, we need a whole lot of accessories etc. I want to get a sofa table.

Any ideas at all would really be appreciated. I was going for a transitional/country style.

Help!

Sorry about the photos not showing much, we are not in France at the moment so I can't take anymore pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with solid color rug for Living room in French Farmhouse-house3-003.jpg   Help with solid color rug for Living room in French Farmhouse-manaoutou-008.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,139 times
Why don't you like it? I LOVE it!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Get a different rug. Get some thing with an oriental pattern. I think what you don't like about the room is that is is all the same, solid color rug, solid color walls, solid color furniture, etc. Get some texture/patterns into the room.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
There are more experienced designers out here who will modify this advice. I'm a design student, so I've got a little knowledge and some fresh schooling.
  • I like the seating arrangement and the way you've placed the armiore and accent table around the fireplace and the position of the two sofas.

• Move that cocktail table back so it is 12 inches from the in front of the sofa facing fireplace. That anchors it within the seating arrangement. Right now its just floating free. Occasional tables need to belong to something visually.

• RULE: You need at least 24 inches clear space on at least one side of the seating group for access to the seating. Ideally you would have two access points at least 24" each. If you can't get to your sofa's, or if you have to squeeze through a tight space to get in there, you'll be frustrated. Keep this in mind as I tell you the following...

• Add a round occasional table in that corner where the two sofa's meet. It should be the same height as the sofa arms.

• Add an occasional table at the other end of the sofa that is perpendicular to the fireplace. It does not need to be round, but again, its good to keep it the same height as the arm.

• The armiore is a tad small for the space. I'm assuming that you have it in that position because it contains a television for watching. If you can replace it over time, I would look for a piece that is larger scale and the wood is a bit warmer and a shade lighter. Match the color the that wood ceiling beam. Until then, put an arrangement, such as some colorful baskets and a plant, on top of it to add some height. Place an object next to it such as a floor plant or a basket of logs.

So your current color palette is misty green, white and cool dark brown. This is a fairly contemporary color scheme and it is at odds a bit with your style. But I don't think you need to change it. Just build on it to punch it up.

Here are a couple examples:
Help with solid color rug for Living room in French Farmhouse-palette-blue.jpg Help with solid color rug for Living room in French Farmhouse-palette-gold.jpg

You can punch up the existing space by accessorizing with a nice set of candles on the cocktail table. And occasional table with a lamp and some greenery. Something on top of the armiore.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Sorry, I had missed that other wall color. In the first picture the wall reads as white. In the second, I can see that you have a cool green/blue on the wall. Here is a modified color palette.

Help with solid color rug for Living room in French Farmhouse-palette-2-gold.jpg

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Its so great to get these thoughts! Thank you to any who reply, I REALLY appreciate it. I am just at the beginning of trying to learn more about design, something which is really interesting to me at this stage in my life (funny how things change). Any ideas and thoughts are just great to be able to read and learn more about.

I would love to hear more.

L

Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
I've lived in France along the Mediterranean, and so I have my personal experience about what to do with what you got. Since you can't redo walls, get a light-med blue loose-print rug, same blue of plain fuller curtains with fancy rod caps, nix the Victorian chair. Please put the fan in the kitchen.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM

yes, completely agree about the fan! Its horrible there and was just left after a very hot day...

I have no idea what to do with the top of the sideboard, it looks so bare.

I was thinking about painting the chair and reupholstering it as it was a cheap find anyway.

And the ideas about placing furniture are great. I am learning how its important to have a plan...so far its all been very ad hoc and now I am realising that's why it looks terrible!

What do you think?

L

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Honestly?
The pics arent even good enough to give a real opinion, what is it you want help on?
Sorry, but there is just not enough to go on.
BTW, those windows are an anomaly if you are in the South of France, whats up with that?
The light isnt right, nor are the windows.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Honestly?
The pics arent even good enough to give a real opinion, what is it you want help on?
Sorry, but there is just not enough to go on.
BTW, those windows are an anomaly if you are in the South of France, whats up with that?
The light isnt right, nor are the windows.
This was my first thought too about the windows - not South of France, maybe south of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating