Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times

Advertisements

All, I have done a couple remodeling projects in my house and now I need to paint my walls...I cannot for the life of me figure this out.....I have an open floor plan so when you walk into my house, the living room is to the right, dining room is straight head and kitchen is right behind there.

This is what I've done to my kitchen:

I put in this backsplash and now I need to paint the surrounding kitchen walls...I'm thinking a light brown might be sufficient....

For the accent wall in my living room, I put this in:

Sorry I don't have the pic with the grout it but in person it is beautiful..

Some things that I should let you know:

I am not buying new furniture for the living room..I have a white leather couch and love seat. It looks exactly like this:

My end tables and coffee table look like those except the legs are much darker. About the same color as my accent wall.

In the dining room area, I have this set:

So I have a lot of dark colors.....right now I have up turqouise silk curtains in the living room but I can change the colors if needbe...

I originally wanted to paint the living room and dining room a light blue but after my wall tile was installed, it just didn't look right...now I am thinking about gray and silver for the living room and dining area.

All suggestions are welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Colors on the web are always pretty tough to dial in but I think your instinct to put silvers/greys in the living room as a bridge to the white furniture and new kitchen is spot on. The dark wood should be fine.

I would have a hard time envisioning how silk turquoise drapes would work with the other colors unless they are very very muted and silvery.

The backsplash looks on the greenish side of brown to me and I would try to get a paint color that has those tones in them -- most browns are very strongly "red" and they might not look great with the green and you also probably want to avoid the "yellowish" browns which almost always end up looking like the not-so-cute side of a baby diaper...

If you cannot find a brown that you like I have seen many greens that work well in kitchens.

Last edited by chet everett; 10-26-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Colors on the web are always pretty tough to dial in but I think you instinct to put silvers/greys in the living room as bridge to the white furniture and new kitchen is spot on.

The backsplash looks on the greenish side of brown to me and I would try to get a paint color that has those tones in them -- most browns are very strongly "red" and they might not look great with the green and you also probably want to avoid the "yellowish" browns which almost always end up looking like the not-so-cute side of a baby diaper...
Thanks so much chet! Here's a pic of what the backsplash looks like up close:

I know I need a transition color from the silver or gray to whatever I paint in the kitchen. I have a half bath down there as well but I figure whatever I pick for that area should be fine. I'm glad to know the silver or gray is a great mix because I wasn't too sure....thanks! I just saw you edited your post..I can change the curtains...that's not a big issue but I need to be happy with the paint!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Anymore suggestions..I'll gladly take any!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Looking at your original post pictures of the furniture, how about either a tone that gray in the first or the celadon in the second picture look? As Chet said the true color looks different monitor to monitor. I personally love gray but depending upon the feel of the room with the dark tiles in the living room it may be too blah and not enough oomph.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
I agree with light gray being the best choice. Obviously bring home color samples from the store, to make sure your LR brown will go with the gray, and your kitchen will go with the gray. But you can choose three shades of gray! That delineates the three living areas, adds interest. I think the trick to overcoming the coolish look it gives off is (1) the gray should fade from the room and not be the feature, and (2) use accent pillows and artwork with warm bright colors. When considering the turquoise curtains, those color accents can include rose and purple, if you want to "go there."

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Looking at your original post pictures of the furniture, how about either a tone that gray in the first or the celadon in the second picture look? As Chet said the true color looks different monitor to monitor. I personally love gray but depending upon the feel of the room with the dark tiles in the living room it may be too blah and not enough oomph.
I think I can find maybe a silvery gray or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I agree with light gray being the best choice. Obviously bring home color samples from the store, to make sure your LR brown will go with the gray, and your kitchen will go with the gray. But you can choose three shades of gray! That delineates the three living areas, adds interest. I think the trick to overcoming the coolish look it gives off is (1) the gray should fade from the room and not be the feature, and (2) use accent pillows and artwork with warm bright colors. When considering the turquoise curtains, those color accents can include rose and purple, if you want to "go there."
Thanks for your ideas...I never thought of using three different shades of a color..umm, you got me thinking. I figured I would probably have to change my curtains and change the accent pillows. I have some artwork I can make thinks pop....at least I think I can! I will keep everyone posted!

Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Wow the Kitchen looks beautiful! The texture on the walls is BEAUTIFUL! You have lights under the cabinets and I have total kitchen envy! Unfortunately what I don't have is advice. I'm trolling today. Honestly, I would be tempted to do something crazy like do black lacquer in the kitchen.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow the Kitchen looks beautiful! The texture on the walls is BEAUTIFUL! You have lights under the cabinets and I have total kitchen envy! Unfortunately what I don't have is advice. I'm trolling today. Honestly, I would be tempted to do something crazy like do black lacquer in the kitchen.
You should TOTALLY DO IT!!!!! I added recessed lights in the kitchen this week and track lighting in the living room. I troll here all the time looking for ideas!!! You can make it work!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
You should TOTALLY DO IT!!!!! I added recessed lights in the kitchen this week and track lighting in the living room. I troll here all the time looking for ideas!!! You can make it work!
Alas. my darling the only obstacle is $$. I decided to forgo new counters for fencing in my field for chickens/dog/aardvarks OR a new patio door as I abhor the slider AND repayment of my cough..sizable debts.

I did paint my kitchen a slate-ish navy, though. I love it. But you know, just in case, how much did you pay for the backsplash and lights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating