Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 AM

16 posts, read 26,033 times

Advertisements

This dining table was a cheap CL find, isn't in the best cosmetic shape (but is structurally sound), and I love the overall look of it. Not knowing a thing about antique furniture or historical design in general, I'm hoping for some help in figuring out the era/period/style/wood, etc. of this particular table.

There are two maker's mark tag thingamajigs, one showing it was made by THE CHATTANOOGA FURNITURE CO., the other too peeled off to make much out (see pics). The table base has got incredibly heavy legs with flat-curvy stretchers and separates into two L shapes. The tabletop has short metal dowels that sink down into simple holes in the two leg sections, and the heft of the tabletop's weight keeps it from moving much once settled properly onto the legs. I've attached pics of all this stuff (with the help of my zombie cat, Hopi).

It's not an example of especially intricate craftsmanship compared to some vintage pieces I've seen, so I'm not sure it was ever worth a lot of $, but I find its look lively and charming. It's way more interesting than any dining table we've ever had before!

Questions...

>> What period/era would this style of furniture fit into?

>> Any guesses on how old it is?

>> What's your best guess on the kind of wood it might be, based on the supplied impossibly fuzzy phone pics of the wood grain?

>> Since no chairs came with it, what kinds of (vintage? modern?) chairs would you suggest to make a cute dining set out of it?

>> Any thoughts on easy DIY refinishing, or shall I let her remain endearingly 'distressed'?

Thanks for all help, ideas, and wild guesses!
Attached Thumbnails
saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-dt2a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table4a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table5a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table3a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table2a.jpg  

saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table1a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table10a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table11a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table7a.jpg   saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table12a.jpg  

saucy vintage dining table - need help IDing period, style, wood, etc.-table13a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
My first thought is that it is of English design - perhaps Elizabethan - the bulbous legs and carving...is it Oak?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
My first 2 questions are what is CL and how much did you pay? I agree it is a wonderful find, I would guess Oak too, but it also could be cherry. My grandmother has a similar table and it was cherry.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
All I could find is thread on [domain blocked due to spam] with people asking the same question.

Someone here might be able to help:

Chattanooga History Center - About Us (http://chattanoogahistory.org/page/about-us - broken link)

It looks like the company was in business in the early 1900s to mid 1900s at least.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Love your kitty!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
You've got a special table there, dear one. The label that is mostly illegible but has a little design on it, I think that would designate it was specially made for a particular person or family. To get a table from a furniture maker in Chattanooga or any once small-to-medium sized city in the South adds to the value because it's proof-positive it wasn't a knock-off or from Kmart. Also, in addition to the research posted before, once in a while such a furniture maker might still be in business and they may have records of some items. I personally think it was handmade and pre-Civil War, just guessing. I think the wood could be walnut. The legs are the most dramatic part of the table, obviously put it on an area rug that is plain and very light-colored, to show them off.

I'm assuming you noticed that this table was meant to have an extra middle top to extend the length of the table, but perhaps because it was missing, some late 20th century owners used metal brackets to hold the outer tops together. I think you could get a furniture maker in town to make a match of that middle top for you, because i think the table would look better, make more sense. He could also do the refinishing for you, so it would match. Altho I can't help but think you are dying to work on that thing and really get it in top form! I am in no way an expert. I can only compare to my grandmother's furniture, things I've seen in books and on TV, and just a general impression about what sort of home would have showed off such a piece best. I actually thought of a government official's home, in a mansion, but not precisely plantation, rather more an in-town home.

I would research it for you, but I'm supposed to get off this here machine right now. But you've given me a lot to daydream about and I just love that you showed us this beautiful table, it is magnificent, a real treasure, no matter its age or style or history. I LOVE it. Keep us updated on what you find and how you redo it, if you decide to refurbish. NOTE: I just did a quick check of 19th Century furniture examples, and here is a link, a close resemblance to your table is in the second row of pics: http://www.tias.com/12775/InventoryPage/1853621/1.html

Last edited by gigimac; 11-12-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I'm no expert, but it looks turn of the (20th) century Victorian-ish to me. Probably a factory made piece too.

I doubt it's worth much, so don't feel bad about refinishing it.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm no expert, but it looks turn of the (20th) century Victorian-ish to me. Probably a factory made piece too.

I doubt it's worth much, so don't feel bad about refinishing it.
I completely agree with you - this is not a super-valuable table, probably around 100 years old, oak, English Renaissance inspired design probably made in the late Victorian period which ended in 1901.

I have a small sideboard with similar curved stretchers and bulbous legs.

An oak extenable dining table. - Tables - dining. - Antique furniture - South Perth Antiques & Collectables

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-12-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I guess it's about 100 years old and was probably originally a pub table. I have one very similar that I found in an antique store in NC.

If you decide to refinish, use a lot of oil first and let it soak in for a long time. The wood is probably very dry.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Gigimac's linked table is similar but it is Dutch not American and is walnut. Oak was definitely one of the most popular woods of choice for American reproduction furniture in the late 19th century and we know your table is definitely American and not Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating