U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM

46 posts, read 168,023 times

Advertisements

I just had 1000sqft of tile laid in my house all on the first floor and I am lost on how to choose the right paint color to go with it. The tile is neutral but it has a lot of movement going on in it so it make my choosing a little hard. Should I try to stick to color that is within the tile or go another route. Prior to the tile I had all blue tile and carpet from the previous owners so now the wall colors need to change.

I do plan on getting new couches as well so I need to somehow make it all work together. I don't get much light in the back of the house either so I would think darker colors are out. Anyone have any ideas on what shades to look at?

The baseboards are not in yet but I'm pretty sure they will be 4"or 6" and white. The white walls in the pics are just primered right now due to ripping out a built in entertainment wall.

A couple quick pics

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,852,406 times
I think you should pick a "sand" color, which would be in the brown family of colors, but find a very light brown right out of those dark brown sample color arrays at the paint store, and it should look really good with your floor, and all the white accents of molding and doors will help the wall color stand out just enough. I THINK it's Sherwin Williams that has a "sand dollar"color, and I imagine other brands of paint will have a very, very light brown named something else. You don't want to pick a sand color out of any of the blues, greens, or orange color groups, or you'll wind up seeing that color too much in the walls. That's why it has to come out of the browns, so you won't see ANY color, other than just a very bright shade of your floors. Like that mauve chair you have next to your couch, the color of chair against your floors exposes the pinkish hue in that chair, which you cannot choose your light white paint out of any red color family if you want your walls and floors to be neutral, which I think you should.

In this manner, you can choose WHATEVER colors you personally prefer in the room for furniture, area rug, and pillows and art, with your light brown floors and whitish brown walls being neutral, even the fireplace brick is so expected that I don't think the reddish overall look would clash with your fav colors, especially since a few of the bricks are a similar color to your floors. The very light brown paint color will also help the room's tendency to be dark, altho lamp lighting can do a lot to brighten up a room. As for what style of furniture to get, in case this is a question, simply take cues from the favorite furniture keepers you will be using in the rest of your home. But now, this is my basic view of what to do with a main room that has some notable impact from the floors you put. And I treat living areas less controversial than I do bedrooms, which that is where I will get involved in my own taste-specific and noticeable colors of walls. Others at this forum may have not only better ideas than my own, but also more daring and yet appropriate ideas for what to do about the paint in your subject room.

In any case, we'd all like to follow what you wind up doing, hear your thought processes, and see more pics as you progress, of course, and any more info or questions you have, we want to hear them, to help narrow down choices to match what your aims are for that room!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Great reply and I appreciate it. Its funny you mentioned Sand Dollar as a color as I do have that exact color in my front great room. I'm not real sure I am a fan of Sand Dollar or not. For some reason the color turned out to almost have a pink hue to it. Maybe it was a bad mix job or something. Its hard for me to really picture wall colors, I see many of my friends homes and like their layouts but it just works for them and it wouldn't for me since my home is an open floor plan. There is plans for the fireplace to get re-done, more like a stain as it looks pretty worn out now and there will be five recessed lights added to the back wall as well the overhead fan switched out for something nicer.

I will have a look and focus on the brown color family and see what stands out to me. Kind of wierd the Sand Dollar in the big front room has that pink hue to it so maybe I will try to get another small sample mixed and see if it is indeed different than whats on there now.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,232,686 times
Sherwin-Williams Bagel SW6114 would be perfect with the floor.
Its a warm neutral, you can literally put anything with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,852,406 times
I like KSHE's choice too, a good warm color. I looked at that Sand Dollar for both Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams, they look somewhat diff, but with computer screens, you can only get a rough idea, but the BM looks lighter. And then when you go to the paint store, the lighting in the store is diff from your own home lighting, and swatches also don't always quite match what's in the can. Best thing to do is to ask for small sample cans of several shades of whatever color you think goes with your floor, and maybe try a favorite personal color, and bring them home, and paint a swath of each one in your chosen room. Pick a place close to the floor, to compare and where it won't be seen very much, and then you can see better how it will (a) match your floor and (b) look right in the space's normal lighting. Just be sure to let the paint dry before you look at your various choices. And YES it is hard to tell what color to put just by a swatch, or even with my idea of painting a 1-foot by 1-foot section on your wall! Maybe you could recall what your thoughts were when you picked the color of tile, and that can also help guide you on paint color.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I think this weekend will be the testing stage of what color to go with. One more question, with having a pretty open floor plan should the entire 1st floor be the same color or should I try to break it up with different colors to help fully transition where one room starts from another? I do have a divider that separates the front great room from the kitchen however is it only 8ft high and I have 16ft vaulted ceilings. Should the devided possibly be an accent wall?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM

23,417 posts, read 33,232,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzWickedSS View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I think this weekend will be the testing stage of what color to go with. One more question, with having a pretty open floor plan should the entire 1st floor be the same color or should I try to break it up with different colors to help fully transition where one room starts from another? I do have a divider that separates the front great room from the kitchen however is it only 8ft high and I have 16ft vaulted ceilings. Should the devided possibly be an accent wall?
When I have a client with an open floor plan, I use different hues on the same color strip in different areas.
That provides some change without chopping up the area.
I wouldnt choose the 8 foot wall as an accent wall.
Hard to help choose what should be an accent wall without seeing the spaces, you know?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 AM

16,081 posts, read 21,293,609 times
Try this program, it is awesome. You can upload your own room pics, or choose theirs. It allows you to virtually select, and reselect colors of paint, and see them right then.You choose the colors, and the lists, product names, numbers etc.for the colors are right there, so you aren't guessing whe you go to a store. You can do this multiple times, save and bring up to show your friends, spouse later to get opinions. You can also upload to this thread, so we can share the fun...lol. I love this handy program. Have fun. Your house screams beachy cottage, very nice. A new color I tried this yr was cottage yellow, it is more cream than yellow. have fun!1

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explo...=painterScreen

Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 AM

2,091 posts, read 6,668,702 times
Too much neutral for me in the above opinions. I'd go with color. Be brave, pick a bunch of color strips of various colors and shades and stick them to the wall, and leave them there for a week while you view them in all lights, daytime, nighttime, incandescent, florescent. Watch to see if the color reflects the light, or absorbs it. Some sage greens turn brownish in certain lights. If you go with a beige color I hope you have accessories to brighten it up in there.

I have a beige carpet in one room of my rental and went with a smokey purple called amethyst haze by glidden, it really changed the look of the room that was previously an adobe white. You could also go with something from the green family that still leaves it earth toned.

Not a great pic, I'm having trouble capturing this color on camera!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 6,668,702 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating