Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,122 times

Advertisements

bought a new house and we are going to be painting it, i have an idea of what i want the rooms to be painted , wanted to know what other thought of this, or if you can give any suggestions please. okay so here we go
It has 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, with one being master bath, kitchen dining, laundry, all on same level of house.
the kitchen/dining/laundry all intertwine, the laundry room is just off the hall from kithchen that goes into the half bath, if that makes since, there actually isnt really a laundry room intself. but anyway, i want to paint that in a nice deep red. now the 1/2 bath off the kitchen i was thinking of doing a darker brown, but not dark as choclate. and i will do the main bath and master bath the same as well.
The bedrooms i was thinking keeping them all the same color, like a latte/carmely color i dont was nothing to light/ nor too darks just a nice neutral warm brownish tone. now there is another hall by the bedrooms too and thinking of doing that the latte/carmely color as well. ive never painted a home and dont know really where to start, but does this sould like something that will look nice, or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
What do you have for furniture, art work, etc.? You should get your inspiration for your color pallet from them. If you are buying new, get your furniture first, then pick out a paint color. It will be MUCH easier then trying to find something that works with your paint choices.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Saddle-.../dp/B002YRFT76
this is my furniture collection.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

my living room is actualy done in knotty pine so were leaving that

Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Hi Jessica - it all sounds so dark - the colors you have chosen - and then I look at the furnitture - very dark colors also. I'm not loving it so far. Pictures would greatly help.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 AM

198 posts, read 421,959 times
i had the same reaction...that it sounds too dark.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52986 View Post
bought a new house and we are going to be painting it, i have an idea of what i want the rooms to be painted , wanted to know what other thought of this, or if you can give any suggestions please. okay so here we go
It has 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, with one being master bath, kitchen dining, laundry, all on same level of house.
the kitchen/dining/laundry all intertwine, the laundry room is just off the hall from kithchen that goes into the half bath, if that makes since, there actually isnt really a laundry room intself. but anyway, i want to paint that in a nice deep red. now the 1/2 bath off the kitchen i was thinking of doing a darker brown, but not dark as choclate. and i will do the main bath and master bath the same as well.
The bedrooms i was thinking keeping them all the same color, like a latte/carmely color i dont was nothing to light/ nor too darks just a nice neutral warm brownish tone. now there is another hall by the bedrooms too and thinking of doing that the latte/carmely color as well. ive never painted a home and dont know really where to start, but does this sould like something that will look nice, or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks
You can't go wrong with a neutral color, but I would seriously rethink the red. Red dining rooms and kitchens are just plain tacky, and are almost never a good color red. Also, that kind of paint color only looks good if the paint job is absolutely perfect - hard to achieve if doing it yourself since it requires a lot of sanding, priming and painting in multiple coats. I would suggest stick with shades of the caramel color you are talking about. Stay on the same color strip if you go lighter or darker in some rooms (I think a darker brown for a half bath can look great as long as you have a strong white trim to contrast - ie window, mirror, etc.). If you do different colors within the rest of the house and they are not shades of the same color, then it's best to at least keep them the same level of color (the same lightness or darkness). That means don't paint a hallway light caramel and then paint a dining room red, because red is a darker color. If you do a different color, keep it the same lightness as the caramel (the same place on the color strip).

To get started, professional painters tape off all the trim, windows, fixtures, etc. with painter's tape, then sand and fix any drywall problems, fill holes, etc., then prime, then finally paint, usually two coats.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Red dining rooms and kitchens are just plain tacky, and are almost never a good color red.
Tacky?
How?

Red is a classic dining room color!

(and no, I do not have a red dining room....)

Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,483 times
Go to the Sherwin Williams site. They have a great tool where you can upload photos of your home and choose and paint the walls. This allows you to see what you're envisioning against your actual furniture. I've done it for my last 2 homes and have gotten so many compliments about the final results.

Red is a lovely color if used right, but not for everyone. My kitchen in my last house had a red accent wall and it looks beautiful. Really complimented the overall look. Also, don't shy away from dark colors. My last living room (we just moved, which is why I'm talking in past tense) had the entire back wall (largest wall) in a dark brown (SW Turkish Brown) and when we first chose the color, people advised us against it. The finished result was stunning though; it looked very classy and elegant, and really made the space pop.

That being said, I really think paint makes a place, and tend to go for bold colors (I don't see the point of light neutrals to be very honest). As I said, I get a lot of compliments and am asked for advice quite often, yet not many people are able to go ahead in a similar style as the thought of such a big color on a wall is intimidating for some. The end result is usually beautifully eye catching though.

I wish I could paint . We are renting for the first time ever (only living here short term) and can't paint.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
We used Behr Ultra Premium Plus in Cliff Rock - a very warm, darker neutral caramel color and love it! Our floor plan is very open with rounded corners, so we pretty much had to use the same color in all the public areas. We did go two shades darker for the backs of the art niches and some arched separation walls, and some might say it is too dark but we love it - makes the otherwise very open rooms with 11-foot ceilings seem cozier.

I agree with .Nikita. about using bolder colors - why paint your walls a color that looks like it was the pale khaki that builders use? Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating