Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 105,855 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a sideboard for our formal dining room. Currently we have a Mahogany Chippendale ball and claw style dining room table (see picture). Do you think the sideboard should also be Chippendale style or can we venture into other styles? Do you think a distressed look would go well or any other suggestions?

TIA

The table is similar to the one in the link
http://www.furniturefashion.com/2007...fet_table.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
As a general rule once you get one piece of shiny, intricately finished furniture in a room you can't really go too far away from that without ending up with a "thift store" look.

In contrast if you have only simply finished furniture, like shaker-style or English pine you have more flexibility -- take a look at the catalogs / magazines and you see a whole lot of mixing & matching with such styles. You can even see some stuff going toward the "modern" look with those styles...

Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As a general rule once you get one piece of shiny, intricately finished furniture in a room you can't really go too far away from that without ending up with a "thift store" look.

In contrast if you have only simply finished furniture, like shaker-style or English pine you have more flexibility -- take a look at the catalogs / magazines and you see a whole lot of mixing & matching with such styles. You can even see some stuff going toward the "modern" look with those styles...
I agree - stick with the Chippendale style.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
I also agree with what Chet said. Chippendale is extremely formal and polished. Anything that is distressed is going to read as casual and will seem at odds the formal pieces.

Do you feel that you are becoming tired of the Chippendale? Are you looking for a more relaxed style? Or are you happy with it; but are bombarded with PB and RH catalogs and magazine images? Sometimes the lure of a trend can be almost irresistible, but hold fast. This too shall pass.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Definitely stick with Chippendale. No distressed finish. It doesn't have to have a claw foot. It can have the other Chippendale feet like the china closet has in the photo.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
If you could find the right piece, a faux bamboo buffet might work....some of my very favorite dining room chairs are the Chippendale faux bamboo chairs.

Here is something that is interesting - a Chinese alter table:

Redirect Notice

Old 12-18-2011, 10:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac00 View Post
We are looking to buy a sideboard for our formal dining room. Currently we have a Mahogany Chippendale ball and claw style dining room table (see picture). Do you think the sideboard should also be Chippendale style or can we venture into other styles? Do you think a distressed look would go well or any other suggestions?

TIA

The table is similar to the one in the link
Mahogany Chippendale Dining Table, China Cabinet and Buffet Table
---------------------------------------------------------------------

While not Chippendale, this piece is Hepplewhite, and I think it would go well:

STICKLEY - Collector Quality Furniture Since 1900=

It has a serpentine front with curved doors, and hidden panels for valuables.

My dining room table is not ball and claw, but has the brass lion's feet on it. It has a double pedestal mount like yours.
Personally, this is my favorite piece of furniture in the house (besides the breakfront).

Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
If you are very very bold and not-so-traditional you might be able to get away with something like this:

"Amelie" Mirrored Console - Horchow

or this:

"Amelie" Mirrored Buffet/Console - Horchow

or even this:

John-Richard Collection - "Gatsby" Mirrored Chest - Horchow

But distressed wood? Not so much.

I'm looking at mirrored pieces myself, which is why I provided the examples above. I'd upholster the chairs in silk shantung to pick up some the "bling".

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I agree with those that say the Chippendale would look better to me with other pieces of similar style.

There is something else that I hope you take into account, and that is what seems beautiful to you. It is your house and if you love a piece of another style or with distressed wood, and if you think it looks good with the Chippendale piece, why not? To me the whole point of decorating is to end up with a room or rooms that make you feel happy, and that you think look really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating