Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM

146 posts, read 292,668 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about using an interior decorator/designer for our move to our new (downsized) home. I've narrowed my choice down to 5 decorators, carefully looked at their websites, and had informal discussions with them about their work and approach to work. I now need to make a choice.

Here's what has happened: I've asked for references from each individual. One person told me her "work spoke for itself" and she wouldn't be in business if clients weren't pleased with her work. She told me she's been in business for 30 years and no client has ever asked for references. The other 4 have never responded to my request for references, even after my follow-up to ask again. One person has even been asked 3 times, because I ran into her and casually mentioned I was waiting.

Here's another twist on this: I've emailed 2 more decorators, just asking to meet with them about a possible working relationship - and haven't heard back.

I've never had experience with a business category being so less-than-responsive. Every other trade I'm working with (carpentry, flooring, bath fixtures, painting, etc, etc) have been responsive beyond belief!

Any thoughts about what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM

928 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Personally, I think a business owner should be prepared to answer any question ask of them eloquently--ESPECIALLY at this stage. They still are in the sales portion of the job. What does not returning your calls within 2 business days say about them? What is going to happen when a question arises during the design phase? How will this person handle a conflict should one arise?

I am currently an interior design student pursuing design as a second career. In business practices classes we discussed references how to build a set of references and that we should expect to be asked for them. Its a job; and just like any job you, the employer, should not feel awkward about asking for references. If I were to start a residential design firm, part of my business plan would be to develop references by asking permission from some of my former clients to utilize them in that capacity. Designers should also be able to produce a physical portfolio of work including sketches, floor plans and renderings, and photographs of finished work.

Personally, if I were hiring a designer, I'd want them to have the NCIDQ license. That license comes with required accredited education, 5000+ hours of experience under the eye of a mentor, and passing 3 examinations.

You can verify a designers NCIDQ status here: Find an NCIDQ Certificate Holder: NCIDQ

Here is an interesting article on the difference between decorators and designers: Differences Between Interior Design & Decorating: NCIDQ

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 12-12-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

146 posts, read 292,668 times
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone back to the websites of these individuals and they don't show any licenses! Do you think if they had a license they would put it and their credentials on their websites....I would think so.....

One has this by her name: Residential Interior Designers (CQRID) National Certification. What does that mean?

Boy, am I learning a lot here!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
Hiring anyone, designer, decorator, architect, or "visioneer" w/o some sort of reference that can attest to the fact that they've successfully helped finish any project is thisclose to lighting your money on fire...

Folks that have done good work for pay, even for their own relatives / friends (which is not a bad way to start, but an impossible way to survive...) tend to be capable of producing letters / phone numbers . portfolio shots that will either reassure other clients or prompt a quick verification.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

928 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone back to the websites of these individuals and they don't show any licenses! Do you think if they had a license they would put it and their credentials on their websites....I would think so.....

One has this by her name: Residential Interior Designers (CQRID) National Certification. What does that mean?

Boy, am I learning a lot here!
The ASID (which is a nationally accepted trade organization for designers) has a good article about the various certifications available. Far and away, the NCIDQ is the industry gold standard and has the most demanding eligibility requirements. That is not to say that designers with other certifications, for instance the NKBA, are not talented individuals. I have professors who started with NBKA and moved into the NCDIQ over time and they are very worthy designers. But I'd spend more time vetting an NKBA certified person over someone who holds an NCDIQ.

ASID - Professional Credentials Through Examination (http://www.asid.org/career/credentials/Professional+Credentials+Through+Examination.htm - broken link)

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 12-12-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,273 times
I think you should keep interviewing designers until you find one that you are completely comfortable with.
I have a small business in Minnesota that specializes in home staging and room makeovers. I would never dream of replying "I have been in business for 30 years and my work speaks for itself."

Then there is the problem of the designers who will not even return your call. Big red flag. If they can't call back with the name of a reference what happens if there is a problem (ie wrong upholstery fabric used on the side chair...the new rug has a defect etc).

If you keep looking you will find the perfect designer for your project.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
I would immediately cross the one decorator off your list. She is full of it if no one has asked for a reference in her "30 years" of being in business. She may be a good decorator but that doesn't mean people had a good experience working with her.

I have had the best luck finding decorators by just asking people who decorated for them if I like their house. Ask around with friends/co-workers/etc. and get some references that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating