Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

Hello all, ive been agonizing over choosing the color combinations for my den. It's used as a general pool/movie entertainment area. I want to change the curtains, as well as the sofas. Any ideas of combinations that could work, i prefer lighter colors so that the room doesn't look too narrow. Darker colors generally seem to look somber. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help choosing colour combinations for my den!-dsc_0057.jpg   Help choosing colour combinations for my den!-dsc_0056.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Any shade of blue, which light blue would look good, as would a light turquoise, you can combine them with white. And this would include any furniture, paint on walls, curtains. I would paint those walls a light blue or light blue-green color, leave ceiling white, and curtains can be a combination of all three colors I've said, but mostly a feel of white/light color in a subtle pattern.

Light blue-greens will be the best bet to go with the medium green pool table, but don't use the pool table color, it's too primary... but by using colors next to it in the color wheel, only lighter versions, it will make the pool table color blend better with what you do with the rest of the room. If you can, put a light feature over the pool table, stick a refrigerator, microwave, and popcorn packages and some dishes in the room somewhere.

If you get, say, a light blue-green sofa, put white pillows and medium-blue pillows on it. White contrasts and pops well with colors. Get you some samples of color shades you like in the blue-green range from magazines, even get a yard each of fabrics in various shades, and lay them out on the pool table or wherever and step back, so you can decide what combination and shades would look best in there. I've seen pictures of rooms with the medium green of your table, and they always looks fresh and soft with the light blue-green shades I'm suggesting, along with white. All the brown furniture and doors and floor design will look good with those colors, too.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,502 times
hmm, food for thought. ill have a look at some of the colors in the blue green range. you wouldnt suggest using yellows? something along the lines of this:

http://cptnrin.smugmug.com/photos/731033123_3JMYL-O.jpg

and im assuming the blues that you mentioned should be lighter than the ones from this picture:

http://cptnrin.smugmug.com/photos/46...7_4moP5-XL.jpg

i want to use as little of white as i can, although white does look fantastic, i live in a pretty dusty region, and white will get dirty fast.

and thank you so much for your wonderful advice. i'm really liking the colors you've mentioned!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Are you familiar with Van Gogh's painting The Night Café - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

That's the first thing I thought of when I looked at your pictures.

I know it's not the direction you were thinking of, but if that was my pool room/movie space I'd paint those walls a dark red. Perhaps even a lacquer (shine can add "light" and create visual space too).

Here is my reasoning:

a) the room IS narrow. No amount of white (or light) paint is going to hide that fact. Sometime dark colors in a tiny space can be very dramatic.

b) the room is mostly (?) used at night. Natural light is not such a factor when one is shooting billiards or watching the DVR.

So yeah, if that was my space I'd go dark and dramatic and add "sparkle" with mirrors and lighting fixtures. I'd choose heavy, sumptuous movie-theater drapes, perhaps velvet or damask. Something that would block the light in case I ever did want to catch a Netflix in the afternoon.

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-14-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
^^^This!
These are the colors that will work with the green on the pool table.
Blues are just going to fight a never-ending battle to the death with the pool table, and no one is going to be happy about it.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
you could consider changing the color of your felt to a more neutral color...

Olhausen Billiards

Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
AHSAN, you asked about yellow, and it will look nice as an accent color in that room, as yellow mixed with green in the color spectrum makes blue. I've seen a number of blue-green rooms with some yellow chosen as the third color. But actually, if you LIKE yellow, go ahead with yellow as the main color, and perhaps draw in the pool table with simply accents of blues and greens, perhaps, and skip the white. I'll check your websites a little later!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Benjamin Moore "smoke grey" could be nice. Looks grey but is more of a nice pale blue. Looks good with dark woodwork.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Help choosing colour combinations for my den!-den.jpg
I did a little playing around, thinking about what I think are your predilections and your issues with the room. I think you're probably into vibrant rooms, judging from your artwork, but some of my choices I based on specific issues.

It's a narrow room, so I chose a bold color for the far wall. It's in the red family to go with the wood. Maybe more like a terra cotta. It arrests the wall, instead of letting it visually keep going and making the room feel narrow.

I offered a low bench that can go underneath the cabinet all the way to the wall for space efficiency. Bolsters move the seating forward. If you can find a low sofa with a deep back it would do the same. But for casual sitting you can also build a bench to fit re-upholstered cushions. I made this cushion red to keep the wall from looking too busy.

The red is a good contrast to blue, so the painted inserts in the wall cabinet really pop out. There are bright colors there, even the green of the pool table felt. So I pulled the artwork off that wall to make those painted details stand out.

The bench also has legs, so the floor detail doesn't get interrupted. If you add chairs in the other locations, consider the fact that many legs on the floor has a "nervous herd" look, as your pictures indicate. I couldn't find any profile pics off the internet to insert, but something like ottomans with shorter legs might work.

It may seem like a lost opportunity for art display, but I think that far wall has enough detail with the cabinet and painted inserts to do any more. The light fixture fills the visual hole too.

The art I put on the side walls to direct attention outward. It's tough to gauge the effect in pictures, but in real life it might serve to visually widen the room. I lined art up high on the right side for that effect. That inset on the left is a natural alcove for displaying pictures.

Now, the color choices are just to address issues, not necessarily specific suggestions. I'd put some larger pieces in that far wall cabinet too, maybe 16" white ceramic sculptures or vases on either side. I didn't add all the pictures to the gallery walls, but you get the idea of putting them up to the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating