Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times

Advertisements

I want to install my LCD over the fireplace, the problem is that there is wood paneling over the drywall and hence I am unable to find the studs. The panel is about 3/4 inch thick and is just nailed into the wall. Needless to say my Stanley studfinder is giving inconsistent results.

Can someone advice me as to how to go about it ?

Update: I found out that behind the 3/4 inch wood panels are one inch horizontal wood strips that are attached to a drywall. I am assuming the drywalls have studs. I guess the studfinder has to deal with a 1-1.5 inch gap between the inside of the wood panel and the actual stud, maybe thats why its in accurate and I cannot use that anymore ? Anyways, all suggestions welcome.

Last edited by zulu400; 12-22-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Sit in the chair you will be in to watch that tv, stare at the space over the fireplace for 10 minutes, do you still want to hang that tv that high?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sit in the chair you will be in to watch that tv, stare at the space over the fireplace for 10 minutes, do you still want to hang that tv that high?
Hi Golfgal,
Yeah, we did do that and we are comfortable with it. Its not that high to begin with, the bottom of the tv is probably 5.5 ft from the floor.
Ofcourse if you are sitting near the fireplace you have to crane your neck a bit, but thats not the normal.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
If your paneling is 3/4 of an inch thick and it has been adequately fastened to the wall attaching it right to the paneling shouldn't be an issue. Since you have the space behind the paneling I'd use a wall anchor or toggle bolt instead of directly screwing into the paneling.

As far as finding the studs the strips of wood behind the paneling are furring strips but usually 3/4" and should be 16" on center if they were installed vertically and will most likely line up with the studs.

Another way to find them is the paneling 4X8? You can measure 16" over from the seam and that might be a stud especially if the furring strips are vertical. Your tape measure will have each 16" increment marked.

Yet another way is to find the closest electrical outlet or switch in the middle of the wall, take off the plate and look on either side of it. If there is enough gap you should be able to see the stud it's attached too. From there you measure to find the rest of them.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-23-2011 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
While my method to find those studs in your situation is more complicated then I can write here, I will not try. But I do have to tell you that Stanley as well as other cheap stud fingers simply do not work to any degree of accuracy. You have to spend some real money to get an accurate stud finder that actually works and those $10 ones do not cut it. A quality stud finder will find studs through that thick paneling. Maybe check to see if you can rent one?

Good luck to ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating