Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Burbank,
This thing is getting a tad out of hand, in my opinion. I was the one on this thread on Page 7, who went by the pics you put on Page 2 of this thread. I said I liked your cool stereo cabinet and how it was parked in front of the fireplace (and I LIKED the mirror) and how the easy chair was next to it. It just looked like that duo was meant to be where you had it, especially when looking towards the bank of windows. So, I just thought, hey, if for just one afternoon, you flipped the couch away from facing the built-in, so it's now facing the fireplace wall, hey, you've got a really nice seating area there! And so easy, too!

Just give it a shot, what, maybe one minute flip the couch, turn on the stereo, and lay back. You'll like it, the expanse will be relaxing, and the rug you originally wanted will REALLY make it cozy. And won't cost nothing. And don't you DARE paint that cool stereo cabinet. My advice from my long-ago post is still pretty much the same, but now I hear maybe some of those armoire ideas will fit in for the TV, so stick it next to the entry to the living room somewhere, about where you've been keeping that desk. Just so you can see the TV from both armchair and couch. GG
Dont take this the wrong way, but its the OPs house, not yours.
If the OP wants all the help they can get, thats their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 PM

252 posts, read 387,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont take this the wrong way, but its the OPs house, not yours.
If the OP wants all the help they can get, thats their business.
thanks, i'm at the point where I have absolutely no faith in my own judgement

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
I can tell you, it is MUCH easier to decorate when you start with a blank canvas. You can get pieces specific to areas, rooms, your house, etc. In our last house we needed new furniture for 2 of our living areas. We relegated the old stuff to our basement and started fresh. It was SO much easier. We were able go buy couches, etc. that fit the scale of the room, specific pieces for specific spots on the walls, etc. We have the same color scheme in this house, same furniture but it just doesn't look quite right because the scale of the room is different. We were also able to buy it all pretty much at the same time so we were not piecing it together.

The hard part is doing what you are doing and incorporating pieces you like with new, etc. You have a great start, it just needs tweaking. You are going to be moving things around for a long time to get them just so. It happens all the time.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
No one is born knowing how to do this stuff.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM

252 posts, read 387,075 times
Thanks - this has all been extremely helpful and given me a lot to think about. It's very clear to me at this point that using the room as a standard living room isn't my end goal, but rather having it be a media room.

I'm going to be focusing on decorating with the tips provided here, basing the room around my audio and video needs. I want to ensure I'm bringing in color and comfort to the room while having it provide this function for me.

Going to spend some time this weekend looking at furniture and wall treatments for inspiration. Now that I feel a bit more strategic in what I am trying to accomplish, I feel like this will start to come together.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Thanks - this has all been extremely helpful and given me a lot to think about. It's very clear to me at this point that using the room as a standard living room isn't my end goal, but rather having it be a media room.

I'm going to be focusing on decorating with the tips provided here, basing the room around my audio and video needs. I want to ensure I'm bringing in color and comfort to the room while having it provide this function for me.

Going to spend some time this weekend looking at furniture and wall treatments for inspiration. Now that I feel a bit more strategic in what I am trying to accomplish, I feel like this will start to come together.

I hope you learned what I did many years ago, i.e. that things like home decorating, floor plan design and landscape design, despite that nearly everyone has done them, are themselves a separate and sophisticated discipline, not unlike writing, estate planning or child psychology. We don't all have to be good at everything. From your photos in post #1 above, I think that you should know that your personal preferences and certainly your skill set may not be your friend in this process.

You don't have to like every short story written by every professional writer, you are entitled to your preferences, but that does not mean that you should start writing short stories yourself.

All of this is my not so diplomatic way of telling you that once you express your input ("I do not like pink" or "I need room for my stereo equipment") your job should be done.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I hope you learned what I did many years ago, i.e. that things like home decorating, floor plan design and landscape design, despite that nearly everyone has done them, are themselves a separate and sophisticated discipline, not unlike writing, estate planning or child psychology. We don't all have to be good at everything. From your photos in post #1 above, I think that you should know that your personal preferences and certainly your skill set may not be your friend in this process.

You don't have to like every short story written by every professional writer, you are entitled to your preferences, but that does not mean that you should start writing short stories yourself.

All of this is my not so diplomatic way of telling you that once you express your input ("I do not like pink" or "I need room for my stereo equipment") your job should be done.
Wise words, Wilson.
I am well aware that my skill set does not run to certain things, and I am more than glad to leave that to the professionals, leaves me more time to do what I do well.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Wise words, Wilson.
I am well aware that my skill set does not run to certain things, and I am more than glad to leave that to the professionals, leaves me more time to do what I do well.

It is sad that we are all so used to being contradicted and critisized on these forums that we cannot recognize a compliment when we get one.

I know well that you are a professional decorator and after reading through this thread yet again I was struck by how much good and helpful information you had given and how little the OP had to contribute to the process. The last post by the OP seemed to say that the whole matter would be digested and the OP would come up with something based on all of the excellent advice

I was urging the OP to rely on you (and Golfgal and Hopes as well) instead of trying to do it himself. Re-read my post in that light.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
It is sad that we are all so used to being contradicted and critisized on these forums that we cannot recognize a compliment when we get one.

I know well that you are a professional decorator and after reading through this thread yet again I was struck by how much good and helpful information you had given and how little the OP had to contribute to the process. The last post by the OP seemed to say that the whole matter would be digested and the OP would come up with something based on all of the excellent advice

I was urging the OP to rely on you (and Golfgal and Hopes as well) instead of trying to do it himself. Re-read my post in that light.
I was agreeing with you!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I was agreeing with you!
Well, then, there is a lot of confusion floating around here. Your modesty in disclaiming yourself as a "professional" is misplaced. The OP got professional services without having to pay a fee or pay retail. Hopefully, he will not revert to his own ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating