Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM

252 posts, read 387,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I was kind of joking when I said that. You keep posting that if you don't like something in your living room you will move it into your den...thus asking how big it is
oh yeah - for now its my "lets put all the crap I can't deal with" room - its going to be the last room that I fix up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
There's nothing wrong with the living room, but the furniture has got to go! It's too small, mismatched, worn-out. . .and you need to do a major decluttering, asap!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,778 times
I can't wait to see pics of your room all finished!

I love the sage color that you found, that is a great color! I think it'll look fantastic.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
So, Burbank, even tho you are going to recreate the world in your living room soon, didya get a chance to use the old stereo cabinet, the old brown recliner, and the couch in the arrangment I keep pushing you around for? Whenever you do, I would like to hear what you think of it, especially the view looking towards the windows from the entry to the LR. I actually drew out the space plan, but I cannot get it to post to save my life. I know, you're probably going to go another way, which will probably turn out fantastic. But my thoughts just seemed the easiest, cheapest way to keep what you got and wind up with a great living room.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned it, but the original rug you ordered has greens in it. I LOVE YOUR STEREO CABINET. SIGH. I'm a Sixties person and remember all the good old days of vinyl, and ALL those records stretching from end to end in a room, with half of them out and strewn (a big no-no with my ex-audiophile). Sorry, I'm really letting it all out now. But what the heck, I figure I've already been criticized for trying to keep things simple for you, when I was actually holding back in my posts. Ohhhhhhhhh, Burbank, it's gonna be okay. I'm glad you're learning from all these talented folk. But sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Let me know how it looked to you, with the couch flipped into the room, based on how the pics looked back on Page 2 of this thread. I opened the webpage, and at the top I chose "Updated Living Room," and the picture I went by was the first one in the second row. I also was responding to your requirements in your original post. "I jus gots to know! - Dirty Harry" GG

Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
So, Burbank, even tho you are going to recreate the world in your living room soon, didya get a chance to use the old stereo cabinet, the old brown recliner, and the couch in the arrangment I keep pushing you around for? Whenever you do, I would like to hear what you think of it, especially the view looking towards the windows from the entry to the LR. I actually drew out the space plan, but I cannot get it to post to save my life. I know, you're probably going to go another way, which will probably turn out fantastic. But my thoughts just seemed the easiest, cheapest way to keep what you got and wind up with a great living room.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned it, but the original rug you ordered has greens in it. I LOVE YOUR STEREO CABINET. SIGH. I'm a Sixties person and remember all the good old days of vinyl, and ALL those records stretching from end to end in a room, with half of them out and strewn (a big no-no with my ex-audiophile). Sorry, I'm really letting it all out now. But what the heck, I figure I've already been criticized for trying to keep things simple for you, when I was actually holding back in my posts. Ohhhhhhhhh, Burbank, it's gonna be okay. I'm glad you're learning from all these talented folk. But sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Let me know how it looked to you, with the couch flipped into the room, based on how the pics looked back on Page 2 of this thread. I opened the webpage, and at the top I chose "Updated Living Room," and the picture I went by was the first one in the second row. I also was responding to your requirements in your original post. "I jus gots to know! - Dirty Harry" GG
I actually had a change of mind about the darker furniture, including the media stand where my stereo equipment is right now that you are referencing. So with that change of heart, my plan is to get rid of all the furniture in that color scheme and stick to whites with accents. I am keeping the media stand for the time being, but will go in the den (aka the island of misfits) once I can get rid of that bulky tv armoire.

Also I can't test flipping the furniture at the moment - I managed to injure myself and cannot move heavy objects. I do however still like the idea of using the fireplace section as a nook of some sort, so I'm not discounting that at all. It's actually what my original arrangement was. If I do end up keeping the recliner, that's exactly where it will go.

So much of what I thought I wanted has changed in the course of posting on this forum.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Any opinions on if this rug would go with sage green?

ethanallen.com - floral sampler rug, ivory/ivory | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
Probably--it would take you more down the lines of a French Country feel with some of the pieces of furniture you have looked at but I don't think you would be unhappy with that look. Again, though, wait on ANY rugs until you have everything else. If you need something in the mean time to absorb noise, etc. get a $40 one from Walmart or off Amazon or something. Until you have finished furnishing your place, you won't know what size you need.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Probably--it would take you more down the lines of a French Country feel with some of the pieces of furniture you have looked at but I don't think you would be unhappy with that look. Again, though, wait on ANY rugs until you have everything else. If you need something in the mean time to absorb noise, etc. get a $40 one from Walmart or off Amazon or something. Until you have finished furnishing your place, you won't know what size you need.
That is such a good idea! Similar to the idea of getting temporary window hanging that will bring in more light, I really need some kind of temporary rug, the floors are really harsh on my feet, I like to walk around with just socks on. I certainly don't want to buy expensive rugs until I solidify the color scheme of the full decor.

Right now I'm just looking - I feel like I'm starting to lean towards that romantic/french country look in general with my renewed interest in Ethan Allen.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I don't like that rug.

Even if you decide to go the French Country direction, there are more attractive rugs.

Buy a pair of slippers to hold you over until it's time to buy a rug.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
That is such a good idea! Similar to the idea of getting temporary window hanging that will bring in more light, I really need some kind of temporary rug, the floors are really harsh on my feet, I like to walk around with just socks on. I certainly don't want to buy expensive rugs until I solidify the color scheme of the full decor.

Right now I'm just looking - I feel like I'm starting to lean towards that romantic/french country look in general with my renewed interest in Ethan Allen.
Lowe's and Home Depot are great for these, I bought my last one that was a 5X7ish size for $25. Just a plain, neutral beige color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating