Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

There are other factors. Did they have pets? Are the stains organic or inorganic? Food or just dirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
I agree with going ahead with a new carpet installation, or some of those laminate woods are inexpensive and look good. But I will say this about how your Bissell machine worked with not getting up enough dirt and all. It may have to do with the suctioning back up of the water. We were looking at one of those machines, and I read in I guess it was Consumer's Report, that they took a regular upright steam vac and ran it over the Bissell-dampened carpets, and it sucked up all kinds of dirt that was left by the Bissell's lack of steady suction. I think the Bissell will do it, but you have to figure out how to get good suction with their sort of difficult washing attachment.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I agree with going ahead with a new carpet installation, or some of those laminate woods are inexpensive and look good.
Just a note on laminate woods, I would pass on this being in a rental due to this type of flooring being very susceptible to water damage as once a liquid soaks through, the floor swells and is gone.

Quote:
But I will say this about how your Bissell machine worked with not getting up enough dirt and all. It may have to do with the suctioning back up of the water. We were looking at one of those machines, and I read in I guess it was Consumer's Report, that they took a regular upright steam vac and ran it over the Bissell-dampened carpets, and it sucked up all kinds of dirt that was left by the Bissell's lack of steady suction. I think the Bissell will do it, but you have to figure out how to get good suction with their sort of difficult washing attachment.
I would not waste my time with a Bissell carpet cleaner. We had an issue in our bedroom with one of our dogs. We have a Hoover Steam Vac that has done a good job on our carpet but for some reason could not get it to work. I had to do something so I went to buy one. The only thing I could find was a Bissell. After about 45 minutes of working with it, I packed it up and returned it, what a poorly designed piece of "you know what"! The problem is, unlike the Hoover, it only has maybe a quart at most of liquid that it put on the carpet. After going over the entire room, it only used maybe half of it. It at best can only be considered a spot remover. The Hoover carries a gallon tank, on an average sized room it might take 3 tank full's as it discharges into the carpet, the brushes scrub it, then it sucks it back up. The Hoover works like a cheap commercial unit. The Bissell works more like an aerosol can and a rag.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You did well to get 10 years out of any carpet in a rental unit. I would replace it.

I've had decent results using a rug doctor type of rental machine. First I vacuum the carpet 3 separate times. Then I clean with the machine as recommended. Last I clean 1 more time with a water/bleach solution if it is a lighter colored carpet.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
When we bought our house, the carpets downstairs were a cream berber. I called a reputable carpet cleaning company and they performed miracles for us.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 PM

106 posts, read 363,927 times
Actually, theres 2 rooms there are bad along with the hall way, but the rest (family room and one bedroom look good).
I tried the bissel with some pre-treatment it was okay, but these professional carpet companies have water that run at hundreds of degrees (steam if you will). So I might get one of these companies, I heard of A-1 Carpet....etc...

We'll see, if I can get use out of this carpet for one more tenant, that would be great.
Tiles are mighty expensive! Well the actual tile run from 60 cents to 1.50 for okay tiles and run upwards for the more affluent people, but where they get you is the labor, holy smokes, Home Depot and Lowes charge in the $4 sqft range just for installation.
I did find an independent person that will do it for $1.00 a sqft install, I buy the materials.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I have had extensive experience with carpet companies and totally filthy carpets.

First, the "steam" is NOT live steam, but water that is about 150F that is atomized. Live steam would ruin a lot of carpets as well as make the wands too hot to use.

Second, most big name companies hire people who are in a rush to get done, and are only marginally trained. If they pre-spot the worst and do two passes, they think they are done.

Third, a LOT depends on the type of carpet, quality, and what was used for a pad. Some synthetics can stand heavy cleaning. Jute or what looks like burlap backing will stink and rot if not properly extracted. Polypropylene can almost be soaked.

Find a business that has a lot of carpet in public areas - movie theatre, live theatre, busy bank - and ask to speak with the manager and find out who does the carpets there and if they are satisfactory. With the dark auditoriums and drink and other spills, movie theatre carpets are a challenge for any carpet cleaner.

Briefly - remove all furniture, as mentioned, beater bar vacuum used three times, pre-spot stained areas and broom the solvent in. Then, the employee works in large squares - lay down the mist WITHOUT the vacuum and push in. Then use the mist AND the vacuum for the main clean. Then use ONLY the vacuum to remove the last traces and inspect the water coming out. If the water is still dirty, repeat, if not move to the next square.

The above is only a good BASIC extraction cleaning.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 AM

106 posts, read 363,927 times
Alrighty....
I got a carpet cleaning company to come and do the duty...paid $90 for the whole house...

The only stains that did not come out were red stains...Seems like they were red koolaid stains.
So I looked it up and right this minute in the process of getting those stains out through old fashioned methods (dawn dishwasher + white cloth+ iron)..which is working, but with patience and repetitiveness. I'm saving some money on this google search...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I had good results on a professional carpet cleaner after a flood in my home. I chose the company from insurance company recommendations. But I would agree with those who say 10 years is the max you can expect from anything but the most expensive wool wall-to-wall.

I have a friend who rents multiple condos and she recommends following the cleaning with a professional application of a "Scotchguard"-type product. She says new carpets come with that finish but a professional cleaning removes it. Once you get a good cleaning, you'll need another one much faster due to the removal of the protective finish unless you take steps to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating