Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,534 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I have an extremely long living room with an oversized couch. I would like to get some ideas of color combination. I was thinking more of going with a red color pallette or brown. The room is long and narrow. There is dead space behind the couch. would like to be able to tie it in somehow with paint combo.

Across the couch is tv with shelves (greyish/brown).

Should I try to go lighter or will a dark color provide a good contrast. I'm attaching pic of the room. Appreciate help.. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need some color ideas for huge beige couch in long dull room-pic-018.jpg   Need some color ideas for huge beige couch in long dull room-pic-017.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
What I would do if I were you is to start with a fabric. I would have drapes on the windows, in a colorful print, perhaps containing some red, on nice chunky wood rods. From this fabric I would take the lightest tone and use it on the walls, and other colors in the fabric as a jumping off point for some art and other upholstery for chairs and pillows, etc.
Your end wall can handle a huge colorful painting.
I'm actually planning on buying a leather sectional in close to the same color, so am going to use this plan for myself, too.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I have always liked the idea of a bergundy-navy blue color combination with beige. Maybe you could find a print with that combination for drapes. It would pop if there were a bit of white in the print as well. Then you could make or have made some sofa pillows of the same print.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 01-20-2012 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Bigger artwork would help too. The end wall can handle large, framed art. That tiny chair against that wall is out of place as well. Everything else in the room is "big". You probably don't need more seating so I would suggest a bulky table, maybe some urns or something on either side and a big, colorful print of some kind on that wall.

I also agree that adding a printed fabric to the windows will help. Pick out your art work first. Then find a fabric with complimentary colors to that art. Find 2 or 3 different fabrics and make some throw pillows (or find some already made that have the same color schemes as the art and the window fabric).

Take down that tiny framed picture between the windows too. That does not work in that space either. I'm sure you love your children but you have too many photos of them in one spot. Do you have a hallway or something where you can hang those pictures? You can add interest to the room by adding some colorful pottery, glass bowls, etc. on top of the shelves as well.

Paint the walls too. Again, find a big piece of art you like and find a color in that picture and paint the walls that color. That alone will bring some interest into the room. By big I mean something that is probably close to twice the size of that arrangement on that wall. Maybe 3 coordinating prints along that wall with a long table, shelving unit or something under them. Don't just hang art on the wall to have art on the wall though. You need to group it with some furniture.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Maybe something along this line

Or a grouping along this line (but with more color/interest)

This photo is just to show you how the scale of that picture between your windows is off. If you want something there, fill up that space better like this one does:

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
YES! Like golfgirl said. A big weighty piece of furniture and art that will claim the space on the end wall would be super.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
I think you could indeed use a red, perhaps consider painting your end wall with the vaulted ceiling that comes to a point, make it an accent wall in a red. Then get a big throw in the same color, and lay that on that end of the back of the couch, to tie the two together. Probably a burgandy, but not too dark, would work best. That white easy chair you have over there now would pop then! You COULD put a game table in white down there, too, perhaps. And I'm with all the others on large art, good for a big room. And I liked the idea about print curtains, perhaps, and if you do go with an accent wall on that end, you can make one of the colors in the print curtain the same as that accent wall, which will connect it to the couch area even more.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM

17 posts, read 34,251 times
The combination of white and green color can definitely give a fresh look to your dull room. I used this combination in my room and It looks awesome.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,294 times
First off, the table and the art you have is way too small.

The walls need to be a neutral tan. You could paint the blank wall darker, but still in a neutral tone. Make sure you bring samples home before you pick a color. The tones in your sofa HAVE to match the tones of paint, other wise it will look awful, and it's so much work to paint a high ceilings room like that, you want to get it right the first time.

I would advise against green or red. It will look bad with the tone of the couch and the wood unit. You need a neutral tan, a lighter tone. Not yellow or pink. Shaker beige is nice.

Take down the valances immediately. It dates the room. You should put rods up in a wrought iron tone and have curtain panels beside and in between those 2 windows to visually expand them and add balance to the room. Make sure they are not short: floor length.

Add pillows with some other colors you like, perhaps a turquoise-tone would liven things up.

Otherwise, its a terrific space, big and bright and that couch looks very comfy!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating