Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Very nice. ( but the other one show the color better )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Its very pretty! I am afraid that paint/stain will ruin it.

ok, yea I haven't been able to actually see it yet but the issue brings up a good question.............how does one modernize a perfectly good piece of furniture? I'm assuming it would take a professional to alter it without harming it.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 PM

I think you're right, because there are many carvings and small details.
I would rather leave it alone, or sell it and buy a different one.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
I posted a larger different picture of my dining room set above. It's clickable so it can be made larger too.

thanks.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 PM

Yes, we can click on it. No problem. On the other picture we could see the pretty china cabinet with all the carvings and details.
To stain it right, it should be done professional. That of course will cost lots of money.
So, maybe a different set is a better option??

Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I posted a larger different picture of my dining room set above. It's clickable so it can be made larger too.

thanks.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

what do you envision you would like to see it look like?
There are professionals who can work wonders.
It would for sure have to be sanded very well should you decide to do it yourself. You could buy a DIY project book.
I think it would look great in black; but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
My son suggested painting it black too.. but thats so out of my comfort range. I'm not sure I could do that.

I thought of painting it white and antiquing it but I'm afraid because like the black , it would be so permanent and I'm afraid that if I don't like it I'm going to have to live with it. So, I figured I could just stain it darker.

It's just got such yellow undertones that it's hard to find a wall color that goes with that and with the living room set that I just reupholstered in an ocher-y brown color. I have a living room/din room combo.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I picked up something similar years ago at a thrift shop. The set I had was not in as good of condition as yours. The chairs were falling apart and I had to re-glue them. I also had to change the fabric on the seats. I painted mine black and did a slight distress finish. I put a protective coat on the table top to help with wear. I was pretty proud of it but was really proud after my MIL came over and immediately told my husband I was spending wayyyy too much money.

She thought it was brand new. My MIL has money and expensive taste so for her to duped is kind of rare. When we moved I sold it at for a huge profit.

I have seen similar sets where the table is pure white and the ladder back chairs are a different color, like red. More casual not sure what you were looking to do. I'm not a fan of Oak and never was so I get why you don't like the yellow tones. Looks like it would be a fun project.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
First of all, let me ask you a question. What don't you like about it? What about the furniture is making you want to change it up? That will help you make a decision.

As for refinishing, definitely have it professionally done due to the level of detail. Call a couple of local mill workers/re-finishers and get a quote for the work and ask what they could do with regard to deepening the stain on it. This is pretty much the range of stains you will get:

With that information, you can make a decision about whether you want to change this set or sell it and purchase something else.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
If you want a darker wood tone, look into gel stains. They go on much like paint where you do a light sanding to rough up the surface a bit and brush on. Also, many paint stores can match a paint to a wood tone so you could just paint it and it will look similar to a wood color you like. New fabric on the chairs and on the windows would do wonders for the set even if you don't refinish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating