Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times

Advertisements

It looks like this was posted in 2009 and I'm going to post it again now. I know the Ethan Allen from years ago... you know all Queen Anne and Chippendale design but built really well.

So I found a sofa I love from them, but the build quality seems garish to me. No mention of kiln dried hardwoods, glued and stapled tenon and mortise joints, using sinuous springs and not hand tied. They do have down wrapped poly cushions as an option though. At $2000, the price point is not as high as I would have expected.

So does anyone know what wood EA is using these days? Any information on how and why they changed their build quality? Did they decide they wanted to compete more equally with Value City and Ikea?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM

146 posts, read 295,064 times
We started looking for a sofa(s) about a year ago and thought the quality of Ethan Allen had diminished significantly! We started looking for other products. I came on this website which helped in my search for quality. Brand and Manufacturer Quality Rankings
We ended up with Hancock and Moore, done in fabric, which I think is comparable to many of the lesser brands in price - but way above in quality.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
We started looking for a sofa(s) about a year ago and thought the quality of Ethan Allen had diminished significantly! We started looking for other products. I came on this website which helped in my search for quality. Brand and Manufacturer Quality Rankings
We ended up with Hancock and Moore, done in fabric, which I think is comparable to many of the lesser brands in price - but way above in quality.
That is an interesting list, but its limited in scope. It excludes quite a few manufacturers entirely.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
It looks like this was posted in 2009 and I'm going to post it again now. I know the Ethan Allen from years ago... you know all Queen Anne and Chippendale design but built really well.

So I found a sofa I love from them, but the build quality seems garish to me. No mention of kiln dried hardwoods, glued and stapled tenon and mortise joints, using sinuous springs and not hand tied. They do have down wrapped poly cushions as an option though. At $2000, the price point is not as high as I would have expected.

So does anyone know what wood EA is using these days? Any information on how and why they changed their build quality? Did they decide they wanted to compete more equally with Value City and Ikea?

Just curious.
I would get myself over to an EA gallery and lay hands on a knowledgeable salesperson, they will be able to tell you everything you wish to know thats not on the website.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I would get myself over to an EA gallery and lay hands on a knowledgeable salesperson, they will be able to tell you everything you wish to know thats not on the website.
Yeah I was in there on Saturday. They were happy to explain to me that they exchanged 8-way hand tied springs for sinuous spring drop in's because it is more durable.

I took a look at their warranty. OMG! Its laughable. They don't cover compression in their cushions AT ALL! They cover the cushions for manufacturing defects for 1 year. They cover the frame for 7 years and the springs again, just 1 year. I'm very doubtful and nervous about the purchase, but I may still decide that I'll do it. I just hate the idea of paying $2000 for a 7 year sofa. With a warranty that matches low end brands found in places like Carsons/Bloomingdales and maybe Pottery Barn -- I'd expect about the same performance out of it.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Yeah I was in there on Saturday. They were happy to explain to me that they exchanged 8-way hand tied springs for sinuous spring drop in's because it is more durable.

I took a look at their warranty. OMG! Its laughable. They don't cover compression in their cushions AT ALL! They cover the cushions for manufacturing defects for 1 year. They cover the frame for 7 years and the springs again, just 1 year. I'm very doubtful and nervous about the purchase, but I may still decide that I'll do it. I just hate the idea of paying $2000 for a 7 year sofa. With a warranty that matches low end brands found in places like Carsons/Bloomingdales and maybe Pottery Barn -- I'd expect about the same performance out of it.
I would get hold of a manager and ask them what you want to know, all that info is right in the ordering book, trust me on that one.
I cannot think of a a single mid-line maker that hasnt gone to the same warranty, its pretty much an industry standard.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
That is an interesting list, but its limited in scope. It excludes quite a few manufacturers entirely.
Might be because it concentrates only on leather sofas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating