Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM

414 posts, read 911,043 times

Advertisements

Saw this on Overstock.com, thought of your kitchen dilemma:

Baker's Rack with Three Rattan Drawers | Overstock.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 191,792 times
I don't know what your budget is. Kitchens and baths are the most expensive things to update but the most needed and the best to increase the value of your home. I am no expert but being a realtor and having been in the lighting industry for over 10 years I can tell you what I have been seeing. Like one of the other posts stated you really need to know your design style. Traditional modern, country, maybe a mix transitional. If you google things like traditional kitchens and so forth and look under images there will be plenty of things you can look at to what people have done.

Another great idea is to look in decorating magazines take photos of products and looks that catch your eye that you like. Make a folder of your picks. When you go to the stores if you can't determine your style the associates may be able to advise you on a direction. Neutrals are safe, especially for resale purposes due to everyone has their own style so if you are intending to keep your home have fun, if not that may be something to consider.

All in all I have seen many neutral kitchens and unless you pop in some nice color it's just a boring updated kitchen. The lighting you choose helps tremendously to the finishing touch and transformation as well as making it a usable area. I would say the most important to your task areas are under cabinet lighting not only helps esthetically but also you won't chop your fingers off . You cast a shadow with your body wit over head lighting so the under cabinet lighting does dual purpose.

From the looks of your kitchen, if you are keeping your kitchen layout you can always reface later if you want to update it more. I did sile stone rather than granite looks the same and less expensive and less maintenance than granite. Best thing i ever did. I heard too many horror stories of people having to refinish the top of granite from it becoming uneven from heat and such. Check it out.

Many have come into the lighting store still doing stainless for all appliances and hardware, more bronze is being done now. And some putting black metals and appliances in the mix. There is much to consider and many things to choose from it can become overwhelming What I have seen that I do like is in the neutral kitchens they are incorporating copper colors in the back splash and other areas like faucets and lighting accenting that color. Good luck if you have any questions or want an opinion just send me a message would be glad to answer Keep in mind how much your willing to change and what your budget is. Are you planning on changing appliance colors and doing a whole demo or just updating there are many options for both and that will be your guide to how you make your changes. They even make color faces for appliances now instead of buying all new, so the possibilities are endless..

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

17 posts, read 191,792 times
Keep in mind lighter counter tops show mess easier The mid range colors are better depends on your tastes for light or dark colors. You do seem to like the dark colors maybe try this combo here's a place that gives counter top color ideas Granite Colors
and here's other articles to help Colors of Quartz Countertops | eHow.com
and Quartz Countertops - Why To Choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating